1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Leathers only
    • Softies including leathers
    • Gorgonians
    • LPS

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd know better than I, I'm still new at this leather game!

I know nothing about ID'ing them! They're hard to ID. Basically I'm like its either a sinularia/nepthea (can't tell those two apart) or its a sarcophyton (toadstool). Beyond that, I'm clueless.

I wish leathers weren't so hard to identify. Makes learning them more difficult. That's the bad thing about ordering online. I feel like even if they have a picture, some say may vary in color but even StinkyBunny's all came as lobophytum and they all looked different to me, like different corals altogether.

jedimasterben

Well, most of them probably were lobophytum, but the species in each genus can vary greatly. If they weren't so hard to identify, they would probably change their taxonomy around, but kind of like acropora, they're so incredibly hard to identify down to the species level that nobody really can do it and have it worth the research dollars lol

I took a pic of lola again tonight, she is looking quite l ovely.

20160327_233126.jpg

Edit: Anthelia.

20160328_152239.jpg

Does anthelia spread like Xenia or not so much?

Does anthelia spread like Xenia or not so much?

I have been keeping it well contained.

It probably would if I let it get hold of a surface, such as one of the big rocks. I have had the one bit for about a year, and it was kept in sand bed on its pllug. it spread to nearby shell or rock, hence the second plug. And it has thoroughly overgrown that plug in short order.

Some macros came in today from LA Reef! Went in Gertie's tank for now.

The beautiful green one is a neon sea fern.

I love the shape and vivid green.

URL=http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/20160328_180537_zps9agvhl9m.jpg.html]20160328_180537_zps9agvhl9m.jpg[/url]

This is the "rare" red branching macro, though one really wonders how rare. Looks even better than the picture.

20160328_180948_zpszplctvqe.jpg

3 of those little Nano Koralia's and an AquaClear 30 w/ carbon. One I borrowed from a friend for the fuge of my 34g and I haven't given it back yet. My skimmer broke so I don't have that in Gertie's tank anymore.

Well, most of them probably were lobophytum, but the species in each genus can vary greatly. If they weren't so hard to identify, they would probably change their taxonomy around, but kind of like acropora, they're so incredibly hard to identify down to the species level that nobody really can do it and have it worth the research dollars lol

I wish leathers weren't so hard to identify. Makes learning them more difficult. That's the bad thing about ordering online. I feel like even if they have a picture, some say may vary in color but even StinkyBunny's all came as lobophytum and they all looked different to me, like different corals altogether.

So let's see if I have this straight. For leathers there are 4 main genus: sarcophyton (the toadstools and yellow Fiji leather), lobophytum (Devil's hand leathers), sinularia (finger leathers), and nepthea (finger leathers). Sinularia and nepthea are pretty much indistinguishable, so that means 3 main categories and then its very difficult to narrow into specific species within those genus. Am I missing any genus that are common in the aquarium hobby?

I don't know. :D:rolleyes::wacko: I'd have to go back to the beginning of the leather thread to read what I copied from a website.

Yep, that's what it seems to say Felicia.

Family: Alcyoniidae - Cladiella

Colt Coral Finger Leather Coral, Finger-Tip Cladiella
Blushing Coral, Stubby Finger Leather Coral, Seaman's Hand

Family: Alcyoniidae - Lobophytum

Cabbage Leather Coral

Rabbit Ear Leather Coral, Flower Coral, Lobed Leather Coral Devil's Hand Coral

Finger Leather Coral, Lobed Leather Coral, Thick Finger Coral

Family: Alcyoniidae - Sarcophyton

Toadstool Leather Coral, Cup Leather Coral, Toadstool, Mushroom Leather Coral, Umbrella Coral, Mushroom Coral Elephant Ear Coral

Green Toadstool Coral, Ruffled Leather Coral, Trough Coral<br />Toadstool Leather, Mushroom Coral, Toadstool Mushroom Yellow Leather Coral Elegant Leather Coral, Yellow Toadstool Leather<br />Fiji Yellow Leather, Yellow Umbrella Leather, Ruffled Leather Yellow Toadstool Leather Coral Gold-Crowned Leather Coral, Lacy-Head Leather Coral, Leather Sponge Mushroom, Leather Cup Coral

Family: Alcyoniidae - Sinularia

Cabbage Leather Coral

Flower Leather Coral, Flat Leather Coral

Lobed Leather Coral, Carpet Coral, Lettuce Coral Finger Leather Coral Fingered Leather Coral, Green Finger Leather, Green Fiji
Rasta Leather, Sinularis Finger Leather Flexible Leather Coral Spaghetti Finger Leather Coral, Thin Finger Coral
Soft Finger Coral, Rasta Leather

I've always wanted one too but seems you can never find small ones. Of course to me they look like they'd be difficult to frag.

I'm so excited! Bought this weeping willow today and should have it tomorrow :)

85PraI4.jpg?1

Damn u Girl! :rant:

That Looks awesome! :P:wub::wub:

thought i posted this already-having connection issues. sorry if i repeat. Anyway...Really pretty Stella. Waiting for my new corals from salty underground to settle in then I will post a couple pics here too.

Archived