Softies, Gorgs, LPS  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Leathers only
    • Softies including leathers
    • Gorgonians
    • LPS

Hurray for macros!!!

So is there a list somewhere that indicates what leathers should not be next to each other? I know the descriptions usually indicate if they're semi-aggressive or not, if you need a couple inches for spreading out, etc but are there some for certain No-nos?

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurray for macros!!!

So is there a list somewhere that indicates what leathers should not be next to each other? I know the descriptions usually indicate if they're semi-aggressive or not, if you need a couple inches for spreading out, etc but are there some for certain No-nos?

That's a good question! I'll be curious to see if anyone posts up some responses!

Oh man, I'm late to the party :lol:

Pic of my tank that I took today:

IMG_5853_zpshxmvkww2.jpg

Hope it fits the bill ;) Euphyllia centerpiece + macros/zoas filling in the rest. I've always wanted to try a gorg or two but I think my tank's too shallow. Loving all the builds here though :wub:

Yay Antsy!!! Added your tank to the index on the first page! Things are looking good in there.

That's a good question! I'll be curious to see if anyone posts up some responses!

Yay Antsy!!! Added your tank to the index on the first page! Things are looking good in there.

Thanks Stella! :)

You should add macros to the poll :lol:

ha! I just noticed the teensy weeny fishy. tiny little goby?

Masked goby :) Used to have two but lost the other one, now it's just him :( Though the other one was a bit of a bully and now that it's gone, this one's been out and about much more so it's not all bad :)

DUH :rolleyes: forgot to post this...Was just looking at the RBTA...that sucker is huge when fully open...looks to be about 3 and a half inches across! :blink::eek:

My BTA is about 6x8 when fully open :) it rubs elbows with a toadstool and other leathers all day :) it's a perfect tank mate :P

Hurray for macros!!!

I know for certain that colt corals cannot be next to sarcophytons (i.e. Toadstools and Fiji leathers) or sinularia (i.e. Finger leathers and cabbage leathers). I haven't had an issue myself yet but what I read says colt corals are aggressive and will especially attack those two types of leathers. My new colt coral is a bit close for comfort to a gorgonian and my Bali slimer, but seems to be leaving those completely alone. Otherwise from my experience, the leathers are pretty non aggressive. I have several touching eat other, SPS corals, and gorgonians without issues.

To show what I'm talking about....

I took a picture of my right hand side of my scape, which is crammed full and involves lots of leathers touching each other and other corals. All the leathers in this photo are circled in red (nepthea sp., 2 sarcophyton sp., 2 sinularia sp.)

25773655112_bee535eb6f_z.jpgLeathers Touching by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

As you can see, there are leathers touching each other as well as leathers touching gorgonians, zoanthids, SPS corals, and a clam! Most of those leathers have been in those spots for quite a while without showing any aggression or coral warfare.

Here are a couple other views of what's going on with the leathers touching other corals on my right island.

You can see the big toadstool and cabbage leather touching each other as well as the gorgonian and montipora digitata behind the toadstool.

25799486561_b0c9408200_z.jpgIMG_3026 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And then here is the big sinularia on top of the bonsai pillar that is touching the bali slimer and the yellow sea feather gorgonian.

25868534486_307b75ed04_z.jpgIMG_3030 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

However, the one I worry about is the colt coral, which I believe isn't a leather, but a species of softie. Its new so I won't know for sure how it does with it neighbors for a while, but so far its ok. However, Live Aquaria warns:

"It is an aggressive coral and needs space between others and itself in the reef aquarium. Particular care should be taken to place Sinularia or Sarcophyton corals out of its reach, as the Cauliflower Colt Coral will readily kill these species."

Here you can see that mine is pretty close to touching (or is touching) two gorgonians and the bali slimer. The sinularia in the background is far enough away that it can't touch that one. The cabbage leather is a bit close for comfort, but so far even with the colt coral fully puffed up, it can't touch that one either. The colt coral is the puffy pink towards the right. Sorry, the frag racks are sort of in the way atm.

25593875510_8da2d3548b_z.jpgIMG_3028 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

I know for certain that colt corals cannot be next to sarcophytons (i.e. Toadstools and Fiji leathers) or sinularia (i.e. Finger leathers and cabbage leathers). I haven't had an issue myself yet but what I read says colt corals are aggressive and will especially attack those two types of leathers. My new colt coral is a bit close for comfort to a gorgonian and my Bali slimer, but seems to be leaving those completely alone. Otherwise from my experience, the leathers are pretty non aggressive. I have several touching eat other, SPS corals, and gorgonians without issues.

Awesome to know. I put it down in my notepad to remember.

Spectra - add some weeds dammit! :)

Well am looking :lol: I just can not find any weeds........you would not snip that damn leather you sent pics of so now I am on my own looking :(

Oh and the fusion is down to just a rock and some RFAs..........waiting.

If you want something like cloves but not as invasive.. blue sympodium

lg-75835-sympodium-polyp.jpg

I like that!

love love love the scoly!

Scolys are the shit ;)

:lol: Plump up like a hotdog :) That cracks me up.

I have a local coral dealer who has Mandrins that look like hot dogs :o these things are huge and fat and round.........

Well as promised...here's the tanks update and final aquascape! Modified and ready for 2 Dwarf lions... Fuzzy and a Fu Manchu! Plenty of overhangs which I hope they enjoy using, although the scape looks more meant for SPs I'm very pleased with it, just gotta add some rare shrooms and Zoas, hopefully a jawbreaker and bounce. Also gonna get a Knobby Gorgonian, and who knows what else! ;) Many Updates to come hope everyone enjoys!post-90952-0-05329200-1458356106_thumb.png

Well am looking :lol: I just can not find any weeds........you would not snip that damn leather you sent pics of so now I am on my own looking :(

Oh and the fusion is down to just a rock and some RFAs..........waiting.

I like that!

That would make a pretty floor covering for the tank. I wonder if you put it on a rock like gsp will it only keep to the rock.

That would make a pretty floor covering for the tank. I wonder if you put it on a rock like gsp will it only keep to the rock.

Probably I am looking into those as I do like them.....I have seen that name before also.

Trying so hard to stick to a euphyllia dominated tank.... You guys make me want leathers, gorgs, and everything in between.

The most excellent thing about this hobby is you can change your stock every 2-3 yrs and explore new fish/corals/invertebrates. This is why I never believe I'll tire of this. Always something more worth knowing and getting excited about.

Good God Almighty!! Where/how do you begin talking about that one. I looooove the yellows, what are those yellow gorgy things???

Wow, just don't know how to begin. Total living reef right there. Insanely, over the top, inspiring and colorful in ways I couldn't describe.

Polarcollision

Good God Almighty!! Where/how do you begin talking about that one. I looooove the yellows, what are those yellow gorgy things???

Wow, just don't know how to begin. Total living reef right there. Insanely, over the top, inspiring and colorful in ways I couldn't describe.

Right?! I didn't even have those words for it. Only a jaw on the floor and stunned awe.... followed by intense WANT. no. MUST HAVE.

Do you mean the yellow gorgy things at the narrow end of the tank? I thought gorgs too. But I'm new to naming softies so everything looks exotic.

Awesome thread! Will you add my seahorse tank?

And this is what it wants to be when it grows up:

Done and adding that video to the index too :wub:

So does anyone know if there's a limit to the number of youtube videos i can post in one post? Anytime I add one to the main page, it stops embedding the final four

Right?! I didn't even have those words for it. Only a jaw on the floor and stunned awe.... followed by intense WANT. no. MUST HAVE.

Do you mean the yellow gorgy things at the narrow end of the tank? I thought gorgs too. But I'm new to naming softies so everything looks exotic.

This was my reaction too :)

Hopefully not too late to the party... I love my gorgs, leathers and lps. _20160304_225937.jpg

Wow this is beautiful! Where did you get it?

Went to my LFS and took pics of their branching GPS for you guys!
Here's one of their larger pieces in one of their displays
20160318_171424.jpg

A close up to see the growth form

20160318_170619.jpg

And here's some frags that just got moved, so you can see the branching

20160318_165655.jpg

Archived