ReefWeeds

Softies, Gorgs, LPS  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Leathers only
    • Softies including leathers
    • Gorgonians
    • LPS

Once mine grows more I can send frags to you and whoever else wants them. You'd just have to pay shipping

I'd love to be added to your list, Annette, ty

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to be added to your list, Annette, ty

Ok sounds good, I'll cut some frags once it grows out a bit more and then notify you all when they are attached to a small rock or plug

Ok sounds good, I'll cut some frags once it grows out a bit more and then notify you all when they are attached to a small rock or plug

I love my gsp. I had a back wall of it in in my Evolve 8, then I have my island rock now that I'll put in 40g once it's up. That would just be a wonderful colorful addition. Thanks.

Picked up some new euphyllia and a ricordea today. Woop woop. Post pics on my thread once theyre open and happy.

image_5.jpeg

You and Spectra may have a goldmine in this branching GSP :)

Oh I like the branching GPS. question is it growing on something like a dead SPS or that how it grow hench the game..haha

what is the growth rate on it?

It actually grows vertical on its own after encrusting a bit, similar to an SPS coral. There is nothing it is attached to. The soft tissue grows upward and then polyps start to appear. It is similar to how a lot of Briarium species would grow. I have tested it in multiple types of flow and lighting and it grows vertically every time after the initial encrusting happens. The growth rate for me has been pretty fast. I'd say about a half inch to an inch per month. It grew more quickly when it had more light. It also seems to grow better when subjected to medium flow rates in opposed to higher rates.

Here are a couple of pictures that show the encrusting period followed by the start of the vertical growth.

Encrusting

gCQ9UvJ.png?2

Start of extended vertical growth

4sWQXdz.jpg

You can see multiple branches coming up from the encrusted base. I have noticed that after this point, the encrusting will generally stop and the great majority of the growth will then be upward.

jamescstein

That's pretty sweet. I have GSP on my back wall, its not happy at all. Not dying but not spreading much either. Even my sympodium isn't doing great, though it has to compete for light with my giant toad.

:P I figured if I posted it, you'd post more photos :)

So thanks to Stella, my thread is updated to the best of my ability. I envy those of you that can capture stunning photos of your tanks and corals. Take a peek and offer any feedback you see fit. Thanks

So thanks to Stella, my thread is updated to the best of my ability. I envy those of you that can capture stunning photos of your tanks and corals. Take a peek and offer any feedback you see fit. Thanks

I think your tank looks beautiful! It's so soft and flowy.

Felicia that tank gets me so excited, you have no idea. Well done..

Thank you! I phased out a few struggling SPS and replaced them with new softies. I'm really loving the soft things that move in the flow :) Glad you like it!

Will the bottom grow back?

Of the gorgonian? Yep, you can just cut a piece off and then super glue it to the rocks or a frag plug. It will eventually encrust at the base just like an SPS coral.

Decided to stop procrastinating and just fragged the neon green nepthea. One of its branches was shading my derasa clam so I chopped it off. It has 3 big branches, so that means I chopped off like a third of the colony. I've also got a swap coming up for the local club in like 10 days, so perfect time to get some frags healed up to take.

Here's the big branch I chopped off. Just cut it right off with my fragging kit scissors. It looks so much smaller all shriveled up, but that's a big piece of nepthea when its puffed up.

25705637482_64e511fae5_z.jpgIMG_2973 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Chopped it up into 5 frags.

25525909900_6d7bf5dc49_z.jpgIMG_2975 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Then I rubber banded them to plugs so they'll attach. They look pretty limp and small atm, but they should puff up to be nice decent sized frags.

25705634442_216d5316c6_z.jpgIMG_2978 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

25196092364_68f9a951d7_z.jpgIMG_2979 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

25705635842_7a6a3e43ba_z.jpgIMG_2976 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Of the gorgonian? Yep, you can just cut a piece off and then super glue it to the rocks or a frag plug. It will eventually encrust at the base just like an SPS coral.

Decided to stop procrastinating and just fragged the neon green nepthea. One of its branches was shading my derasa clam so I chopped it off. It has 3 big branches, so that means I chopped off like a third of the colony. I've also got a swap coming up for the local club in like 10 days, so perfect time to get some frags healed up to take.

Here's the big branch I chopped off. Just cut it right off with my fragging kit scissors. It looks so much smaller all shriveled up, but that's a big piece of nepthea when its puffed up.

25705637482_64e511fae5_z.jpgIMG_2973 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Chopped it up into 5 frags.

25525909900_6d7bf5dc49_z.jpgIMG_2975 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Then I rubber banded them to plugs so they'll attach. They look pretty limp and small atm, but they should puff up to be nice decent sized frags.

25705634442_216d5316c6_z.jpgIMG_2978 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

25196092364_68f9a951d7_z.jpgIMG_2979 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

25705635842_7a6a3e43ba_z.jpgIMG_2976 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

that looks like really scary complicated deadly surgery to me.

...I'm Speechless on some of your tanks! But still have the pride and joy of my softie and LPS tank, I'll post some pictures in a little bit ;).

IDK if it's me or if it's me...Call me weird...BUT...The base of those Corals, well...can any of you folks say...ummm :eek:

Sushi?

Archived