Coral Vue Hydros

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what type of filtration or media they're running in their Lagoon 25's. Are you using the filter socks, the IM baskets, the in In Tank media baskets, etc? And also what type of media are you running in them and how has it been working out for you?  This stuff is on my short list of purchases and I'm trying to get an idea of what really works.

Thanks

On 8/14/2017 at 11:35 AM, Nart said:

Hey - So I found the perfect flow that work's for my mixed reef of softies, LPS, and easy SPS..... I combo'd my MJ1200 and upgraded one of the return nozzles to the spinstreams and it's working perfectly.

The spinstreams does reduce the flow somewhat, but it's still pretty powerful to support high-flow SPS corals right in it's flow direction.

All those negative reviews about it being loud is somewhat true... there's a ticking noise to it, kind of like a loud clock, but after 2-3 days the noise reduces by about 90%.

Now you can't even hear it unless you put your ears right up over the tank.

Just an FYI.

Can you share a photo of your spinstream setup? I'm looking at changing my flow up. I have the eheim compact 1000 but want more flow without changing to a wavemaker. 

Here's my setup on the spinstream, just on the right side. Essentially I only run the powerhead at night when lights are off to help blow the detritus around. 

IMG_7669.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nart said:

Here's my setup on the spinstream, just on the right side. Essentially I only run the powerhead at night when lights are off to help blow the detritus around. 

IMG_7669.JPG

Nice. Looks really good! How are you only running one? 

17 hours ago, nolanrob123 said:

Can you share a photo of your spinstream setup? I'm looking at changing my flow up. I have the eheim compact 1000 but want more flow without changing to a wavemaker. 

How do you like the eheim 1000? Is it much quieter/stronger than the IM pump?

8 hours ago, Nart said:

@nolanrob123 what do you mean? There's a Y hose adapter setup in the back so 1 pump runs both nozzles. 

When you said you only run 1 at night I wasn't sure what you meant. I worry about the dead spots in mine. 

1 hour ago, _badger said:

How do you like the eheim 1000? Is it much quieter/stronger than the IM pump?

It's really nice. I just wish it had a little bit more power. For sure it moves more water than the factory one and is much more quiet. 

@nolanrob123 Oh - I think you misunderstood me.

So within my picture, from left to right, you'll see 1 factory nozzle, 1 spinstream, and lastly 1 power-head on the right glass.

During the day time I have my power-head off and only the return pump runs (so flow is only coming from the factory nozzle and spinstreams).

After lights go off my power-head will kick on as well.

So I want to order the InTank baskets for my Lagoon.  I was thinking of getting the standard basket for one side, and maybe just the filter floss holder for the other side. Does this seem like a good option, or should I go with 2 of the standard baskets instead?  Thoughts?

16 hours ago, new2reefin said:

So I want to order the InTank baskets for my Lagoon.  I was thinking of getting the standard basket for one side, and maybe just the filter floss holder for the other side. Does this seem like a good option, or should I go with 2 of the standard baskets instead?  Thoughts?

I currently use two of the standard basket, one of my baskets hold chemi pure the other one hold purigen...but you can get away with one and the filter floss holder, it all just depends on what other ideas you have planned for the back compartments...If you choose to run a media a reactor you could probably get away with buying two filter floss holders and running media in the reactor.  

Are you also running filter floss in the baskets as well? I've read about some people having issues with their auto top offs overflowing because the InTank media baskets fit so well that they do not allow any bypass of water flow if the filter floss starts to clog? Have you experienced this?

flatlandreefer
42 minutes ago, new2reefin said:

Are you also running filter floss in the baskets as well? I've read about some people having issues with their auto top offs overflowing because the InTank media baskets fit so well that they do not allow any bypass of water flow if the filter floss starts to clog? Have you experienced this?

Filter floss and media has not been an issue ime 

• 2 weeks later...

Question for everyone:

What are you doing about flow? I will be upgrading the stock pump, but I want something controllable. I have had a MP10 in the past, and liked it, but have also been heavily debating the Aqamai KPS (especially because I found one used for $75), and the Maxspect or Icecap Gyres. I really like the idea of the Gyre pumps over the Aqamai and MP10, as I could place it on the back wall and still have flow all over, but I feel like I would have to keep them turned all the way down.

Any input?

On 9/10/2017 at 4:57 PM, schgr.cube said:

What are you doing about flow?

I think my flow sucks, since I've had what looks like diatoms on my sandbed since I set up the tank a year ago. I'm using the stock pump, and one spin stream on the left side output. Then I have a koralia nano on the left side and an RW-4 on the right side blowing sort of at each other to create random flow. I think my rocks/corals are just poorly placed and block a lot of the flow. 

40 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I think my flow sucks, since I've had what looks like diatoms on my sandbed since I set up the tank a year ago. I'm using the stock pump, and one spin stream on the left side output. Then I have a koralia nano on the left side and an RW-4 on the right side blowing sort of at each other to create random flow. I think my rocks/corals are just poorly placed and block a lot of the flow. 

I'm not really having any issues (just yet), but I feel like my flow is super static right now. That is my worry though, is that I will have things start to grow and block each other out. I think I really want one of the Gyre models, but I am not sure which option to go with. My wallet says the Icecap, but my head says the Maxspect. :unsure:

• Like 1

I heard Icecap is coming out with a 2k gyre that might be a really good option?

I'm running 2 RW4s, one on each side that alternate in 45 minute intervals. At night they run at the same time for a few hours to kick things up. My tank's too new to really tell if it'll be effective, but it's definitely enough flow to keep things from settling on the sand.

*excuse the colors and general ugliness...things are acclimating and I'm no photographer

20170912_175304.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, new2reefin said:

I was having this problem. now one basket and one filter floss holder

Will the IM Ghost Desktop Protein Skimmer fit in the back chamber of the lagoon tank

Or will I need the Midsize skimmer.

I bought the desktop but now that I read the description, the desktop says 20g and the midsize says 30g.

19 minutes ago, colinlevy said:

Will the IM Ghost Desktop Protein Skimmer fit in the back chamber of the lagoon tank

Or will I need the Midsize skimmer.

I bought the desktop but now that I read the description, the desktop says 20g and the midsize says 30g.

The desktop fits the 25G

http://innovative-marine.com/auqa-gadget/ghost-skimmer.html