SaltCritters.com

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

23 hours ago, JLynn said:

That sounds like the same thing as the inTank ones I use. I will say that clipping them on gets obnoxious (I'm constantly knocking them off by accident when putting on or removing my screen top). I'm going to have to suck it up and silicone it on sometime soon. 

I just bought the InTank ones. Can you silicone with fish in the tank?

2 minutes ago, Nart said:

I just bought the InTank ones. Can you silicone with fish in the tank?

Well since both the back wall and the surface skimmers are acrylic, I believe you need to use Weld-On, not silicone. And in either case, my understanding is that the area needs to be dry for like 24 hrs to let it cure before everything's good to go. So you would need to drop the water level below the area you'll be placing the surface skimmers, dry that area off, glue them in place, and leave things that way for a day. If you have an ATO, you'd need to move that into the display area, but for just one day, in a tank this size, you can go without the filtration (though you should probably avoid feeding anything that day). You may as well combine this with a nice big water change, to get nutrient levels back down if they've risen up over the course of that day.

But yeah. It's an ordeal; that's why I haven't done it yet, in spite of my irritation with the clips.

4 minutes ago, JLynn said:

Well since both the back wall and the surface skimmers are acrylic, I believe you need to use Weld-On, not silicone. And in either case, my understanding is that the area needs to be dry for like 24 hrs to let it cure before everything's good to go. So you would need to drop the water level below the area you'll be placing the surface skimmers, dry that area off, glue them in place, and leave things that way for a day. If you have an ATO, you'd need to move that into the display area, but for just one day, in a tank this size, you can go without the filtration (though you should probably avoid feeding anything that day). You may as well combine this with a nice big water change, to get nutrient levels back down if they've risen up over the course of that day.

But yeah. It's an ordeal; that's why I haven't done it yet, in spite of my irritation with the clips.

Hmmm... that definitely does sound like an ordeal.

I guess I will have to see it in person once it arrives and perhaps devise a different way of attaching it, instead of using the clips if they do become a pain.

Just ideas off the top of my head... wonder if magnets would work? or even frag epoxy and/or frag glue?

1 minute ago, Nart said:

Hmmm... that definitely does sound like an ordeal.

I guess I will have to see it in person once it arrives and perhaps devise a different way of attaching it, instead of using the clips if they do become a pain.

Just ideas off the top of my head... wonder if magnets would work? or even frag epoxy and/or frag glue?

Magnets could work. That would also keep the advantage of being able to remove them for a good cleaning periodically. You'd have to do some research to make sure that the magnets would be saltwater safe, and to figure out how to attach them to acrylic, though. 

Idk about epoxy, but if by frag glue you mean superglue, a quick google search tells me that that should work. I imagine that you could do that just fine with everything wet, and the syphon created by the water would apply some pressure to them so that they stay in place while the glue hardens. 

Now that you bring up the idea of magnets, though, I think I'd go with them, even if it may be more work at the moment, just because being able to remove the surface skimmers for a nice thorough cleaning every once in a while would be best in the long run.

2 hours ago, JLynn said:

Magnets could work. That would also keep the advantage of being able to remove them for a good cleaning periodically. You'd have to do some research to make sure that the magnets would be saltwater safe, and to figure out how to attach them to acrylic, though. 

Idk about epoxy, but if by frag glue you mean superglue, a quick google search tells me that that should work. I imagine that you could do that just fine with everything wet, and the syphon created by the water would apply some pressure to them so that they stay in place while the glue hardens. 

Now that you bring up the idea of magnets, though, I think I'd go with them, even if it may be more work at the moment, just because being able to remove the surface skimmers for a nice thorough cleaning every once in a while would be best in the long run.

I was thinking perhaps like buying IM's nano glass cleaning magnets to hold it? Not sure if it'll be strong enough. Heck. Maybe a thin layer of silicone sealing a magnet might work too. 

The he item arrives tomorrow. I'll toy around with it and Keep you posted. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nart said:

I was thinking perhaps like buying IM's nano glass cleaning magnets to hold it? Not sure if it'll be strong enough. Heck. Maybe a thin layer of silicone sealing a magnet might work too. 

The he item arrives tomorrow. I'll toy around with it and Keep you posted. 

IM's Nano Glass Cleaning magnets are too thick; you'll see what I mean when you get the them tomorrow. I don't think you need an especially strong magnet, either. The sump wall is like 1/3 the thickness of the tank's glass. 

Oh yeah, did ya'll happen to see my tank unveiling?

I went with a very minimalistic approach with the rock work. My goal was to be able to keep the tank clean as possible all year round.

The majority of the rock work is epoxied together in certain groups, so I can easily slide them over to clean underneath as needed.

• Like 2

I dig it, your fish room is sweet like the decor. What epoxy you use? I tried the new purple expoxy stuff think it was aquamaxx works pretty good after you get the hang of it

Thank you. Glad you guys enjoyed my little bit of work.

26 minutes ago, Shoob1e said:

I dig it, your fish room is sweet like the decor. What epoxy you use? I tried the new purple expoxy stuff think it was aquamaxx works pretty good after you get the hang of it

I'd have to check, I got it from my LFS because I ran out of the Two Little Fishes brand. But they were both pretty much about the same. 2 part clay rubber and mash them together. What I do use though is super glue gel on both sides of the epoxy of what it adheres to.

15 minutes ago, JLynn said:

Very nice! You've got some lovely RFAs there. Is it just the two, or are there more that we can't see from the video?

There's 3 in there on the same rock. It's Orange, right above the white/green and red RFA.

I was really sad when recording my tank and posting the video, it never truly picks up all the colors you see in person. I bought some gel filters to go in front of my cellphone lens, so hopefully it'll pick up the colors a lot better.

3 hours ago, Nart said:

Thank you. Glad you guys enjoyed my little bit of work.

I'd have to check, I got it from my LFS because I ran out of the Two Little Fishes brand. But they were both pretty much about the same. 2 part clay rubber and mash them together. What I do use though is super glue gel on both sides of the epoxy of what it adheres to.

There's 3 in there on the same rock. It's Orange, right above the white/green and red RFA.

I was really sad when recording my tank and posting the video, it never truly picks up all the colors you see in person. I bought some gel filters to go in front of my cellphone lens, so hopefully it'll pick up the colors a lot better.

ya sound similar to the one i used too. and RFAs are awesome, are you doing a nem tank? that's what my lagoon will be, i have 4 rfas in a box in my 100g waiting to be transferred to the 25

Hey guys, ive had my setup for a couple weeks, and was wondering if anyone has used a glass top. I have a lot of evaporation in this tank and was thinking a glass top could help reduce this. 

Im planning on using the Nano Moon light, or nano light plus, depending on where you get it. ready to get some coral in this sucker!

I haven't used a glass top (you'd have to get one custom made, I suspect, because this tank doesn't have standard dimensions), but I know that Joey, the King of DIY, uses clear, corrugated greenhouse panels (keeps more water in than a screen top, while still allowing some fresh air to drift in). Even though you'd have to buy way more than you need, I suspect it would still be cheaper to go that route than the glass top route. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about: http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/clear-corrugated-polycarbonate/greenhouse-polycarbonate-sheets

Thanks. Those sheets look interesting but not all that aesthetically pleasing. does anyone else have evaporation issues? I go through nearly a gallon a day.

flatlandreefer

Yep a 5 gallon ATO resubmit lasts me about 9-10 days. The lagoon has a lot of surface area for the tank size so there is quite a bit of evap 

20 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Wow... I share the ATO container between my IM 10 and the Lagoon. I go through about half a gallon a day for BOTH tanks! 

Do you keep your house pretty warm? That would explain the discrepancy. I keep mine at like 70 (66 at night), so naturally, with a larger temperature difference between the tank and its surroundings, water will evaporate more quickly. For people who either keep their house warmer or their tank cooler, the evaporation should occur more slowly.

2 hours ago, JLynn said:

Do you keep your house pretty warm? That would explain the discrepancy. I keep mine at like 70 (66 at night), so naturally, with a larger temperature difference between the tank and its surroundings, water will evaporate more quickly. For people who either keep their house warmer or their tank cooler, the evaporation should occur more slowly.

68-70 usually. And there is a ceiling fan on constantly in the room as well.