Pod Your Reef

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

i just got a reactor today because i been getting algae on the glass everyday and some red stuff (not cyano I dont think) on the sand. Things looked great the day after I changed my carbon out but two days later, algae is creeping back. So got the IM MiniMax Desktop that you and Stella has.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

i just got a reactor today because i been getting algae on the glass everyday and some red stuff (not cyano I dont think) on the sand. Things looked great the day after I changed my carbon out but two days later, algae is creeping back. So got the IM MiniMax Desktop that you and Stella has.

I have the IM reactor but never used it. I have BRS carbon, might try it.

What are your nitrates and phosphates?

Haven't tested yet, ill do that today. I have API Nitrate and Hanna Phosphates.

Might as well do Ca and Alk too and get an idea of how this tank is settling in.

HarryPotter

So here are my parameters at 6 weeks post transfer:

Salinity: 1.026

Temperature (stable): 78

PO4: 0.00

Ca: 405

Kh: 8.75

Mg: 1305

Notes:

Feed More

Consider dosing Mg

Increase Ca dosing.

HarryPotter

those are some pretty good params.

I think the "algae" is really a cyanobacteria of sorts, there is just some sort of imbalance. I have Cyano and 0.00 phosphates. Am I feeding to little, starving bacteria? Who knows :)

Ill do a water change and feed more

HarryPotter

Your skimmers not working right, your not running carbon, your having issues.... naw they are a lovely addition :lol:

Haha you're probably right. I fixed the skimmer yesterday and its pulled out a lot of muck. Nutrients are low, so the chemicals are probably it.

Haha you're probably right. I fixed the skimmer yesterday and its pulled out a lot of muck. Nutrients are low, so the chemicals are probably it.

If ur nutrients are low, why would skimmer pull out a lot of muck? i doubt ur nutrients are low if your skimmer has been off and you are not running carbon or GFO. You said you have GHA too right? Your phosphate can be 0 because your GHA is sucking it all up.

you didn't list Nitrate in your params

• Like 1
HarryPotter

If ur nutrients are low, why would skimmer pull out a lot of muck? i doubt ur nutrients are low if your skimmer has been off and you are not running carbon or GFO. You said you have GHA too right? Your phosphate can be 0 because your GHA is sucking it all up.

Im not sure man, I don't know. I thought there was elevated nutrients but maybe not. Its not "unhealthy", just a little funky.

No nitrate test

I was thinking the same thing. Harry - don't you have an API nitrate kit?

Yeah but its not accurate at all, almost useless.

More useful than nothing. It gives you a good idea if you're over 10 or not at least.

HarryPotter

how big of a water change are you doing? whats your water change schedule now? i do 10 gallons a week but it's more like 9 gallons since I dont fill the 5 gallon bucket completely full.

Im doing 30g every 2 weeks

• Like 2

I'm going to get the Full size Reactor,I have $100 bucks off it, already have The mini for my other tank, it's the only product from IM that I like

HarryPotter

lmao! Umm Bearded?

Naa......... Tricada

I'm going to get the Full size Reactor,I have $100 bucks off it, already have The mini for my other tank, it's the only product from IM that I like

Nice I have the medium. The mount is broken but I think IM will replace that piece.

Naa......... Tricada

Nice I have the medium. The mount is broken but I think IM will replace that piece.

I have extra parts off IM, I used the Acrylic for a support for my Refuge

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350