Top Shelf Aquatics

Terry's 15gal column office desktop tank

no694terry

Spotted my shrimp today, well and antenna. I havent seen it since thursday. I didnt know i could lose a coral banded shrimp in a 15 gallon tank. Almost wrote him off, he was from petco after all.

Hopefully it will get bolder and come out into the open. I don't really know anything about that skimmer. I just run my HOB pumps with media bags and fill with carbon and gfo as needed. I only run floss when there is a lot of particulate in the water column, like if the sand bed gets stirred up and such.

• Like 1

ok, so media it is. I found carbon packs for the AC70 but nothing else really. Id like to run something that absorbs phosphates too

• Like 1

ok, so media it is. I found carbon packs for the AC70 but nothing else really. Id like to run something that absorbs phosphates too

AC70 has a pretty big compartment for media. I think you could even use a chemi-pure product which already comes in a bag if you wanted.

i was looking at the aquaclears yesterday and the 70's are huge. I think i might get the ac50 since im not going to be using the skimmer. I'll probably run over again today at lunch and pick up a ac50, a 36" air tube, so i can spot feed easier, carbon, and phosphate remover

my bright pink monti is starting to encrust the base. :D Wish i could get a good photo of it showing its color

I just did the cutout, would have been easier if i put more thought into the setup at first and rotated the tank so that the filter side faced the wall that had more clearance but whats done is done. And i can put a HOB on either side. I just used some tin snipes on sides and a sharp utility knife. Much easier that i thought.

20160324_102102.jpg

for the lid, its stainless steel, i had to use a angle grinder to cut it.

20160324_103227.jpg

hopefully this is enough room to fit he AC50 through there. Its a little over 1 3/4"

20160324_103307.jpg

• Like 1

back from LFS, got the AC50 istalled, I trimmed the sponge in half so its half as thick to clean easier, on top of that is the huge bag of carbon that came with the filter and then i put on top of that an even bigger bag of phos-zorb. I have a square centimeter patch of GHA growing and this aint going to be allowed, AT ALL. The phos zorb is supposed to be good for up to 2 months on use before refreshing.

So i guess i just sit and wait to see if the GHA and diatoms dissapear

back from easter weekend. other than losing 3 quarts to evap, everything in the tank looks happy. Other than my orange zoa's, i have them at the top and they havent been opening much and are stretched. Im not sure what to do with them, maybe ill try to lower them down with the other frags i dont knwo what to do with lol

• Like 1

:o:o:o:o

I'm getting GHA patched. 3 or 4 the size of dimes. I dont even know how. Rodi water, hardly feeding, I have 1 tiny clown, running carbon and phos-zorb. Glass is clean, sand is clean. 35w led on full blast 8am to 4pm. And of course the CUC is ignoring it

couple more pics. And i think my coral banded shrimp died. Its been in there like 3 weeks, never came out to eat. Havent seen it since i put it in the tank until this morning. 24% chance it was a molt but didnt look like it.

my pinkish orangeish monti, growing well. pic is a little over saturated. I was trying to show its color, its been a battle getting a accurate picture of this one

TTJ_5127-X3.jpg

button polyp of sorts

TTJ_5116-X3.jpg

zoas

TTJ_5121-X3.jpg

my huge giant polyp duncan.

TTJ_5123-X3.jpg

And what i think is a orange birdsnestTTJ_5128-X3.jpg

• Like 3

Everything looks healthy. Sorry about the shrimp although the skins from a molt can really look like a shrimp so maybe its not dead.

• Like 1

Everything looks healthy. Sorry about the shrimp although the skins from a molt can really look like a shrimp so maybe its not dead.

:D I spotted an antenna. The CBS is alive! I cant believe how shy this one is. My CBS at home is always out an about and would practical eat of of my hand

• Like 1

Going to go new fish shopping, and i need some new carbon/phospahet media.

Thinking small. obviously. Either a tailspot blennie or a clown goby or soemthing along the lines of rock hopper

• Like 1

we just had a 100% full visual on he coral banded shrimp. I have to put a pretty healthy pinch of full spectrum in to coax it out but i saw it. Probably cost me 2 acres of GHA but i saw the shrimp

• Like 1

My emerald is picking at my orange zoas, algae everywhere and its picking at my zoas :furious:

That is a crab for ya! They never do what they are suppose to do.

My emerald is a little ass too. He takes a bite of nearly every new coral I put in the tank. Leaves it alone after that. Buggers.

• Like 1

the button coral final spit that shell out.

Now my hermits are all doin the dirty and switching shells, never saw a hermit crawl out of its shell before.

Looks like round 3 is coming up, I can video it for the curious :lol:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Things are still going. the zoas are just kinda maintaining. My green miushroom divided, the purple ones the same, the birdsnest bleached and the monti spread nice but is starting to lose color. I got a little lazy on water chnages but picked it up again. the giant green polyp is growing a new head, the GSP are everywhere, the tooth coral is doing nicely. And the button is nice and fat.

Clown is ok, she's a pig

The CBS is still doing great, like to hide but has come out more often than before

Emerald kicked it, i suck with them

and I added a bicolor blenny and a orchid dottyback

I'm still planning on getting one of those AI primes, the CC par38 is nice but I'm kinda tired of the 20k look.

I also started hatching brine at home, got a little setup in the garage, so far two succesful hatching, letting them grow in some change water with algea in it, also feeding some fry food.

• 3 weeks later...

My tank has pretty much crashed. I checked levels and nothing is off so i dont know what happened but i have two theories, one is that i removed the bag of chemipure from HOB since it was in there a while. Or something on my hands since i works with a lot of heavy metals.

I lost both monti's within days, my tooth is a shell, mushrooms all dissapeared and my hammer is barely a pulp left in its shell.

GSP still fine, zoas are there but havent opened and my giant green polyps are pissed. Cyano is spreading rampant and i dont know what to do with it besides take the the remaing corals home and try to save them in my 90 gallon FOWLR