ReefCleaners.org

Terry's 15gal column office desktop tank

no694terry

on a side note, i've been battling a vibrating RO/DI for some time. its a BRS 75gpd 4 stage value unit. It worked well for a bout 6 months then started making a hum/vibration for a second or two every half hour or so. Now when my cans full and the float valve lifts, the unit will stop making rodi water but water continues to come out of the waste line and it vibrates horribly. I replaced the check valve, tried differnet pressures. One thing i noticed is it keeps getting air in the DI cartidge. I found a minor leek on one of the connection and fixed it but still getting air inside. Lately i been noticing a air hissing noise from the flush valve, when i play handle the valve without turning the lever, the noise changes like it has an external leak. So i tokk it off, witht he valve closed I can still blow through it? And then i tried putting th ehole vlave under water, lifted the float and the unti shut off like it was supposed to without humming

swung by aquaworld. They have a fist size rock i like covered in Zoas and what looked like a brain coral. It was the only coral covered rock they had. Then they also had a variety of what looked like dollar bill sized tonga shelf frags with a good number of mushrooms on them. I'm as much interested in the microfauna hitchikers as I am the low light coral so I'm leaning towards the more expensive rock.

• Like 1

looks like I'm going to need some diatom eaters. And my hermit had GHA growing on its shell this morning. I took him out and gave him a good scrub lol. Aint no algae gonna happen again. no way!

20170124_072912-X4.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

got my RC pack today. John really loaded in the dwarfs this time. I went with the 14g pack since he usually goes over, order was ~16 drawfs, counted over 70 so far lol

good thing my diatoms really popped over the last couple days.

• Like 1

Great thread Terry.

I am just starting my own column nano (fluval 12g edge) so it was nice to read your story and check out your scapes. I can absolutely vouch for planted tanks having algae too, and it is NOT fun when you can't figure it out. I have no clue if it is safe for saltwater, but on my planted tanks i sometimes use hydrogen peroxide in a small syringe to blast stubborn algae, on top of manual removal. I'm glad you got back into it, although I would imagine I wouldn't get much work done if id had a nano reef at my desk.

My RC pack should be coming next week... Can't wait!

thanks.

depending on my work load around lunch time, i might make the run back out to aquaworld and get the zoa rock i like and possibly a fish. This regal damsel in the tank is making me worried. Hes pecking at the snails and crabs that come near its "spot". I was hoping fingerscrossed i got a peaceful one but doesnt appear that way. Might be time to give him to my daughter in a 5 gallon at home

i made a quick fish trap from a coworkers water bottle, two staples and the string from his blinds :D

now hopefully its occupied before lunch so i can run to the store

20170202_083136-X3.jpg

I got a new fish, it was another damsel. An electric blus one with a stipe over its eye like my dottyback at home. Any who, the resident regal was being an A-hole to the new guy so mr regal is in a bag now, Mr Regal is going to go home and live in my 90 gallons sump and be on extra food int he overflow patrol

Against my better judgement, i put mr regal in the 90g display instead of the sump out of pitty. So far so good. Hes getting along well with the residents

• Like 1

Against my better judgement, i put mr regal in the 90g display instead of the sump out of pitty. So far so good. Hes getting along well with the residents

He will be an awesome addison to the 90.

my CUC has pretty much wiped every diatom and slight sahde of green out of the tank. What do they eat now?

Drop them a shrimp pellet every so often.

zoa rock came with an aptasia :o

:-(

I stopped by the store again. picked up another nice zoa rock and a yellow damsel.

I expected by blue damsel to be rather stubborn but he/she's actually been quite the nice host. No aggression what so ever and seems to me making attempts to socialize with the new, cranky yellow damsel. They've been keeping to themselves for the most part

now the yellow one is trying to socialize, but blue is nervous. Blue doesnt care for yellow laying in blue's hole in the sand