Cultivated Reef

Terry's 15gal column office desktop tank

no694terry

I was able to get most of the coral out and brought home. I built a little glass shelf that hangs about 6" below the water surface under one of my LED's. My 90 at home has those ebay wifi leds' and they've been pretty solid for about 6 months now. but i run them at 10%. The good news is that the last couple days, all the coral i broght home hae been showing signs of improvement. This morning I have been trying to remove my clown and orchid dottyback from the tank. So far i got the clown, the DB is still prtty lievely and giving me a fight. yesterday i lost the CBS. So once i get the DB, I'm going to recycle the tank

might take Jack Stalk advise, hes a feloow subaru guy on my other forum, and just get a condy anemone for work. After tank cycles, ill go back to LFS and get a condi and whatevers hosting it lol. The petland up in east liberty had some pretty green/purple condi's for like $12

• Like 1

Just took the day to read this entire thread. Thank you for bringing us on your journey. I have to say, I think your initial instincts was right. It seem to have gone down hill quickly after that HOB. Perhaps before you knew it needed a strict routine WC and you kept up with it. I have zero experience and just trying to learn through other people's experience.

Thanks again and glad yo were able to save some of it!

Ya im not sure what happened. At first it was my birdsnest frag that just all of a sudden bleached and my monti started fading. I saw my by color nipping at the monti so i took the bicolor home. Then i started to notice a little cyano and figured the chemipure was spent so i removed it, ten it just totalled crashed. within a week my shrooms were gone and my softies were really hurting.

I ran out of salt, then took a vacation a too which got me out of the habit of good water changes, 2 gallons a week turned to 1 every other week.

• Like 1

Live and learn. Summer time with vacations and a more relaxed schedule makes keeping up with an aquarium tough. Little tanks suffer the most because it impacts them much fast...a bigger tank can absorb a bit of neglect for a time.

• 3 weeks later...

That looks good. Any idea what you are going to keep livestock wise?

I'm actually considering a Condy anemone. The petland up in Eastside plaza had some purple tipped green ones. Figured its a good time to add one snce tanks empty and it can do its roaming thing. Then i might add a small yellow watchmen goby to keep sand sifted and clean up uneaten anemone food

For the HOB, im going to try to keep plain carbon in it. Two smaller packs that i can rotate out and not cause a big bacteria crash again.

The tank this morning was doing great, water is crystal clear with the 5oz of carbon, and whats left of the star polypsg and GSP are real perky

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just placed a new CUC order with RC.org. got he 105 kit with hermits. Going to put some in my 15 and take the rest home for the 90.

I think i got a deal, either the 105 kits price was glitched or they were on sale. Thanks John!

• Like 1

These tanks are great and glad yours is on the upswing! It will be fun to see what you do with it :)

I've got a bubble tip in mine, just curious as to why you're leaning towards a condy?

As far as filtration, carbon with some filter floss (to catch floating particles) so work just fine!

I'm still not sure. First thing first though to get rid of the GHA. GHA has alwasy haunted me, even with no food, rodi water, led lighting 6 on 18 off, i get GHA.

Might try some macro, I had halimeda in my old 36g hex and it grew like a week. BUT that and coralline was all that grew. I may try it again in the 15

• Like 1

I'm still not sure. First thing first though to get rid of the GHA. GHA has alwasy haunted me, even with no food, rodi water, led lighting 6 on 18 off, i get GHA.

Might try some macro, I had halimeda in my old 36g hex and it grew like a week. BUT that and coralline was all that grew. I may try it again in the 15

If you want some pretty red macros I will be glad to give you some. For me it is easier than halimeda but I could spare a little of that as well if you want any. Its free, just pm me and we can arrange how to get it to you since you are local.

If you want some pretty red macros I will be glad to give you some. For me it is easier than halimeda but I could spare a little of that as well if you want any. Its free, just pm me and we can arrange how to get it to you since you are local.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind once i see what John sends me.

I ran up petland today and got some nice hitch hiker rubble. Stuff was crawling with bristle worms, stars and pods. I HAD to have it!

even got an quarter sized oyster too.

20161021_130228-X2.jpg

20161021_132135-X2.jpg

• Like 2

snails are in. Package included a purple ribbon/blade gorgonian and some halimeda and what looks like shaving brush?

20161025_133054_001-X3.jpg

Did you know that you would get a gorg and some macros with the snails?

I did, I added them as penny options.

This morning i just redid the HOB. i removed the sponge and 5oz carbon bag and put in a new 45g carbon bag and 50ml of phosguard