Cultivated Reef

pgrVII

Did a 5 gallon water change Sunday, I think I will stick  to every 2-3weeks with filtered seawater. Its a bit more expensive, but,its fresh clean seawater,so its kinda hard to beat. And I usually get it for $6 for 5 gallons so its not terrible. Plus I can still make my own if needed at home of course. Just like the idea of natural seawater.

Also,the mighty jet comes from @Marine Depot tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Might also be time to upgrade to a bigger heater. The basement gets a bit cooler than the rest of the house in winter so I'm thinking the 150w instead of 100w neotherm thats called for the 25 gallon.🤔

Christopher Marks
On 2/19/2019 at 7:53 AM, pgrVII said:

Did a 5 gallon water change Sunday, I think I will stick  to every 2-3weeks with filtered seawater. Its a bit more expensive, but,its fresh clean seawater,so its kinda hard to beat. And I usually get it for $6 for 5 gallons so its not terrible. Plus I can still make my own if needed at home of course. Just like the idea of natural seawater.

Are you just seeing a better response when you use that instead of synthetic? Is it Catalina filtered seawater? I started my pico reef with their filtered seawater water and recently switched to pre-mixed Oceanic that is 25 cents less per gallon. I'm seeing a good response to Oceanic with my coral, but I didn't really have the Catalina water in use long enough to compare, just the first month or so. There's a shop close by that gets a tanker truck of Catalina water delivered every so often.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Are you just seeing a better response when you use that instead of synthetic? Is it Catalina filtered seawater? I started my pico reef with their filtered seawater water and recently switched to pre-mixed Oceanic that is 25 cents less per gallon. I'm seeing a good response to Oceanic with my coral, but I didn't really have the Catalina water in use long enough to compare, just the first month or so. There's a shop close by that gets a tanker truck of Catalina water delivered every so often.

Yea buddy,the catalina brand 

Honestly? Yes. I started the tank on it too. Nothing against IO,its great. But,and this goes for any salt mix,is its just that a mix to replicate. Granted you have other things to consider when buying it like cleanliness etc. But ya gotta figure they have a good system down by now(knock on wood) 

I also was reading an interesting article someone actually set up feeding experiments with coral and a handful of popular coral foods,and raw seawater. Long story short,it seemed that the seawater provided coral with the bulk of the nutrients it needed,whereas the others kinda seemed to put a show on with sure it will extend polyps etc but it seemed they didnt receive alot from coral foods,granted this is a laymans reading mind you. But that kinda steered me towards just running the tank on little equipment, good flow,low bioload and natural seawater. That way theres hopefully less crap I gotta put in the tank that can crowd it or nasty the water up. 

• Like 3

Hmmm so...

Got the new pump today from @Marine Depot, was suprised because we were in the middle of a snowstorm shoveling when it was delivered. 😆

I went in to hook it up and noticed that the connector to the power supply was rattley. The standard connector in the goon wouldnt quite reach for with the new pump hooked up so when attempting to remove the tubing from the Y connector to add a longer piece, I broke the Y 🙄 so I rigged some clear tubing to a T adapter, hopefully I can find a Y at Lowe's tomorrow cause I dont wanna have to order one honestly.

Once that was squared away,I noticed that the controller wouldn't allow the speed to go past 14,it's supposed to go to 30. So,I took everything back out,ghettoed in the rattley 5 year old accela and dried the Mighty Jet out completey and reboxed it.  Emailed their customer service dept.so hopefully I can get something rollin here soon.🤙

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Oh goodness... it just dawned on me why you call it the goon.

I thought you were maybe a fan of the movie...

(LA)goon... f-ing duh... 🤦‍♀️

All good! Better late than never,right?😋

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, pgrVII said:

Hmmm so...

Got the new pump today from @Marine Depot, was suprised because we were in the middle of a snowstorm shoveling when it was delivered. 😆

I went in to hook it up and noticed that the connector to the power supply was rattley. The standard connector in the goon wouldnt quite reach for with the new pump hooked up so when attempting to remove the tubing from the Y connector to add a longer piece, I broke the Y 🙄 so I rigged some clear tubing to a T adapter, hopefully I can find a Y at Lowe's tomorrow cause I dont wanna have to order one honestly.

Once that was squared away,I noticed that the controller wouldn't allow the speed to go past 14,it's supposed to go to 30. So,I took everything back out,ghettoed in the rattley 5 year old accela and dried the Mighty Jet out completey and reboxed it.  Emailed their customer service dept.so hopefully I can get something rollin here soon.🤙

Sorry to hear about the new pump! I'm sure if you sent an email in our support team will set up a replacement for you, but you can also do it yourself online if you want! Here's the link: https://www.marinedepot.com/Return/List

Feel free to check back in with me if you have any questions.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

jjohnston@marinedepot.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Marine Depot said:

Sorry to hear about the new pump! I'm sure if you sent an email in our support team will set up a replacement for you, but you can also do it yourself online if you want! Here's the link: https://www.marinedepot.com/Return/List

Feel free to check back in with me if you have any questions.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

jjohnston@marinedepot.com

Yes sent one to customer care last night so should be ok. Thanks Jeff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm maybe since I need to order new plumbing parts for the goon,should I spend the extra coin and do a loc line setup?🤔 Not alot of tubing is needed obviously on this tank but,they look nice and appear pretty flexible for the filter area. Any thoughts?

Decided to order just the regular parts needed to fix the return issue from @Marine Depot. 1/2" black tubing and 2 of the needed Y just to have a backup. 😁

Its weird though,my account on there says I haven't bought anything,nor have I got the email,but my PayPal is sans duckets.🤔

I was also a bit surprised not to hear back about my pump today. Not a big deal honestly, but they are usually super fast!

Ok so the order is placed for new Y connectors and 1/2" black tubing so when the new pump arrives or however they handle it,it can go right in. Hooray!😊

Cannot wait to have the new pump in!!