Top Shelf Aquatics

thecoralbeauty

Alrighty then- swinging by neptunes on the way home. :)

also, SO gross.

You wont be disappointed. My fish go bananas for that stuff.

Oh also, I mentioned it before but it may have gotten burried. Everyone keeps talking about selcon, but honestly what I think you should try is SELCO Boost. It's an all inclusive food soak that provides your fish with all sorts of extra omegas, garlic, EPA, DHA, Vitamins C and E, and carotenoids. You just soak the food in a little squirt while the food defrosts and the food will absorb all of the extra goodness. Check it out:

http://aquatechco.com/SELCO.php

• Like 1

Off topic, but related to the Larry's topic,

How do you guys feed this stuff? Do you just break off pieces from the frozen sheet? I bought some of the Larry's Reef pk a while back, and my fish totally went crazy for it, but I would just break chunks out of the package and thaw. It was very inconsistent on how big or small I could break the chunk so I always ended up with too much to feed, and eventually the package spit at the seams and the food got freezer burned, and I ended up tossing about a half a package of the stuff.

Is there a better/more convenient way to feed this stuff?

How do you guys feed this stuff? Do you just break off pieces from the frozen sheet? I bought some of the Larry's Reef pk a while back, and my fish totally went crazy for it, but I would just break chunks out of the package and thaw. It was very inconsistent on how big or small I could break the chunk so I always ended up with too much to feed, and eventually the package spit at the seams and the food got freezer burned, and I ended up tossing about a half a package of the stuff.

gourmet defroster works for the smaller pieces

thecoralbeauty

Oh also, I mentioned it before but it may have gotten burried. Everyone keeps talking about selcon, but honestly what I think you should try is SELCO Boost. It's an all inclusive food soak that provides your fish with all sorts of extra omegas, garlic, EPA, DHA, Vitamins C and E, and carotenoids. You just soak the food in a little squirt while the food defrosts and the food will absorb all of the extra goodness. Check it out:

i actually think i've seen that before.

ill see if they have it at neptunes while I'm there

I usually break off a piece about the size of a dime. I put it in a dish, something like one of those little dishes they serve condiments in or I use a espresso cup, add a little SELCO Boost and let it defrost for a couple minutes. Then, I use a straw to break it up and feed. On most nights, I just add it to the tank little by little using the straw.(Some nights I am lazy and just scoop up water into the cup, mix with the straw and dump) When I am going to feed the corals directly, about 1 time a week, I do Reef Chili first, then use a turkey baster to add tank water to the cup of food, then that mixture to the fish/coral. For LPS, they get the pieces of food. For softies, I usually use the "water" in the cup that has mixed with the food particles.

gourmet defroster works for the smaller pieces

I know I have said this before, but I was never able to get that thing to work with Larrys. I would add a chunk the size of a dime and come back hours later and the chunk would still be there, just floating around in the defroster....

i actually think i've seen that before.

ill see if they have it at neptunes while I'm there

Dooooo Itttt

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Is there any data to show that your fish are not getting what they need from the food you already feed? 99% of the 'additive' stuff in the hobby is marketing fluff.

TLF Magfeeder

Is there any data to show that your fish are not getting what they need from the food you already feed? 99% of the 'additive' stuff in the hobby is marketing fluff.

TLF Magfeeder

Actually yes. This is just one of what I would presume would be many articles. I'm sure you will have fun reading this Ben.

http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Feature-Articles/Tips-From-The-Pros:--Additive-Supplements-for-Fish-Foods-(06/21/12)

Also, I have also seen talk that it is bad to feed frozen food to fish without first defrosting it. This is for multiple reasons.

1) Usually you would want to rinse the food, but with LRS I don't worry about that as it is so fresh.

2) I have heard that it is really bad for fish to eat food while it is still cold/frozen due to their extremely sensitive intestinal lining. I am no expert and I do not have any "data" to back this up, but I do know that fish do not eat anything that is frozen and/or cold in the wild.

Woah. Can I feed fish frozen food without defrosting it?

There was also a very good edition of Coral Magazine in January that was all about the feeding arts of reef aquariums. It talked a lot about enriching your foods(especially with HUFAs, PUFAs, vitamins, and amino acids) and also mentioned that frozen foods should ALWAYS be defrosted first before feeding. It did not give a specific reason as to why, but the article was very well put together so I am assuming it was written by someone who knows a lot more than I do.
Ben - Do you have any data that shows that I am wasting my money by buying food additives and/or wasting my time by defrosting? If so, please share as I love saving time and money wherever possible.

1) Usually you would want to rinse the food, but with LRS I don't worry about that as it is so fresh.

2) I have heard that it is really bad for fish to eat food while it is still cold/frozen due to their extremely sensitive intestinal lining. I am no expert and I do not have any "data" to back this up, but I do know that fish do not eat anything that is frozen and/or cold in the wild.

1) With PE mysis I usually defrost a cube with some water and jump it into the tank with the pumps off. I didn't think this was incorrect; why would I want to rinse all the fatty goodness out of it?

2) I believe my fish would not be able to take off a big chunk of frozen food; it will will thaw in the 78* water until it is soft like the video above? No?

TLF Magfeeder

So Ben - you just put a piece of the frozen on that thing?

1) With PE mysis I usually defrost a cube with some water and jump it into the tank with the pumps off. I didn't think this was incorrect; why would I want to rinse all the fatty goodness out of it?

2) I believe my fish would not be able to take off a big chunk of frozen food; it will will thaw in the 78* water until it is soft like the video above? No?

some people rinse the food to avoid putting in excess nitrates/phospates into their water. Although I read somewhere that the impact is negligible and you take more good stuff out of the food by pre-rinsing it.

• Like 2

So Ben - you just put a piece of the frozen on that thing?

some people rinse the food to avoid putting in excess nitrates/phospates into their water. Although I read somewhere that the impact is negligible and you take more good stuff out of the food by pre-rinsing it.

I like excess nitrates and phosphates haha... You know my low nutrient struggle!

• Like 1

1)Like Stella said, I have always heard that most frozen foods are very dirty(i.e. extra phosphats and nitrates, among other toxins), which it is always advised to rinse your food, after it has defrosted. Although, I have never heard the arguement that the excess nutrients are negligible.

2)Notice how his fish are eating it directly off the still frozen chunk of food. I guarantee you that the food they are ingesting is at least a couple degrees colder, if not more, than it would be if it had been defrosted at room temp. Whether it makes a difference, I do not know, but like I said before, this is not natural.

In full disclosure, Larry's site does say that you can drop a frozen piece of food into your aquarium, but I personally still don't agree with that.

• Like 2

1)Like Stella said, I have always heard that most frozen foods are very dirty(i.e. extra phosphats and nitrates, among other toxins), which it is always advised to rinse your food, after it has defrosted. Although, I have never heard the arguement that the excess nutrients are negligible.

2)Notice how his fish are eating it directly off the still frozen chunk of food. I guarantee you that the food they are ingesting is at least a couple degrees colder, if not more, than it would be if it had been defrosted at room temp. Whether it makes a difference, I do not know, but like I said before, this is not natural.

In full disclosure, Larry's site does say that you can drop a frozen piece of food into your aquarium, but I personally still don't agree with that.

I will stick with defrosting out of the tank (to room temperature) and dumping it in. I NEED all the phosphates and nitrates.... My tank is way too clean and my clams suffer when my phosphates bottom out.

Yea I know im a weirdo who struggles to get the nutrients up :lol:

• Like 1

This was actually the article I read about rinsing.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry

There are some others too, just discussing the fact that it would have little to no impact given the ratio of what we add with feeding compared to the volume of our tanks. then again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :) I'll admit, laziness prevents me from rinsing the food. Plus, I feel with the rods, if I rinsed it, I would rinse away a lot of the smaller particle foods for the filter feeders.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

I've never rinsed off the extra. always fed pe mysis and pe calanus... sometimes some extra marine cuisine or emerald entree or something from a petco block i have laying around in my freezer if i'm feeling fancy. sometimes frozen cyclopeze as well. I always figured the extra "juice" was decent coral food and the clams would suck up the nitrate/nitrite.

i haven't had any issues with any algae in this tank. then again this live rock is 3 years old now (am i counting right??) and i've never had any big issues with algae that i can remember. that may be completely unrelated to feeding. but i don't tend to have many nitrite/nitrate problems in general from feeding and including the juice.

addition: i definitely clip in some seaweed for the tangs every day :)

• Like 1

This was actually the article I read about rinsing.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry

There are some others too, just discussing the fact that it would have little to no impact given the ratio of what we add with feeding compared to the volume of our tanks. then again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :) I'll admit, laziness prevents me from rinsing the food. Plus, I feel with the rods, if I rinsed it, I would rinse away a lot of the smaller particle foods for the filter feeders.

I would think that the impact would greatly depend on the food you are using and the size of you tank. But as you said if it isnt broke dont fix it. Do what works for you.
  • Like 1

I would think that the impact would greatly depend on the food you are using and the size of you tank. But as you said if it isnt broke dont fix it. Do what works for you.

EXACLTY! And vice versa! If you're rinsing and it is working, keep doing it :)

EXACLTY! And vice versa! If you're rinsing and it is working, keep doing it :)

Well, actually, i dont rinse, but thats because I dont currently feed any foods that I think requires it. The only thing i feed other than LRS is cyclops, which I fees because my mandarin eats it. The cyclops is way to small to rinse.

• Like 2

TLF Magfeeder

Why aren't your fish going bananas for it, mine display a frenzy

Woah. Can I feed fish frozen food without defrosting it?

gourmet defroster Harry

I just crack off a little LRS chunk and wave it in front of the flow and it falls off in bits. But I know everything loves it: fish, rock flowers, you name it.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

got the LRS. same feeding reaction as normal- huge pigs.

no more spots on any fish. though visible symptoms don't mean cured, normal behavior/feeding and appearance aren't necessarily negative either.

• Like 3

got the LRS. same feeding reaction as normal- huge pigs.

no more spots on any fish. though visible symptoms don't mean cured, normal behavior/feeding and appearance aren't necessarily negative either.

Well its a step in the right direction. Glad to hear the spots are gone. Just keep monitoring as usual and hope they dont come back worse. Like I said previously,I know of other people that have ich come and go, but have never really lost any fish to it, unless they were unhealthy or injured from some other reason. I would def still hold off for a little while before getting those replacements from ORA, or any other new fish for that matter, or any new stressers for that matter.

• Like 1
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*