ReefCleaners.org

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

You know, more to this point, I refer to Paul B. Tank has been running 40 years, that's older than a lot of hobbyists on this forum. He has said repeatedly that he runs a disease free system. He adds fish willy nilly from LFS, tide pools, anywhere he sees something that grabs his fancy and yet has spawning pairs of fish and no disease. He says this is due to feeding live foods and whole foods. The foods we feed are nutritionally poor, in the wild fish eat whole foods - like entire fish. He feeds live foods or whole foods chopped up/blender mashed, such as live black worms, clams, squid, fish oil and more. This provides optimal nutrition to fish and helps them fight infections.

This too....meant to ask that as well.

Damn dude, bad mood today? I get where you're coming from, but give her some slack. She hasn't really done anything wrong, mostly has had bad luck with the past couple fish she has added. From the sounds of it, QT'ing would not have done anything to help. It happens to the best of us.

I know some people that have been in the hobby for quite a while that basically claim that all aquarium fish have ich. They only show it when stressed. It comes and goes, but as long as the fish is healthy, it should be able to fight back the infection, similar to when one of us gets the common cold. They claim that they see ich come and go in the aquarium, and they have a mixture of all kinds of fish, from hardy to not hardy; common to rare. When they see ich, they claim to just feed well, with a garlic infused, quality food product and it usually helps the fish to kick the ich. This probably won't help you much, but I wanted to put this out there to get some other peoples take on their practice.

I've had several people reiterate that feeding good foods is the best way to battle anything. And since I'm not sure what this is that I'm looking at, it may be the best all-inclusive approach.

I'm not really sure where I could get live brine shrimp, but I'll look into it. Maybe sk8nreefer, who lives where i do (and uses the same LFS) can help?

I have to run to whole foods tonight anyway to get a gluten-free treat for a co-workers birthday. I might hit up the seafood counter while I'm there. suggestions to what may be the best foods? I've read garlic, so yes, i'll mix that up with it in the blender, but also maybe clams/squid pieces? I know i was reading recently where jedi used to make his own foods... and for pretty cheap too.

Like Elvis?

cc102676-2.jpg

oh my gawd. my thread is now complete.

I have a fever of over 102 so this might not be coherent, but I was reading back and had some input

1. Rude to call someone's input a "waste of time and money". Especially like that... Do you have any experience with it? Why not have a discussion without "poisoning the well" like that..

2. Not helpful to say "I saw this coming". Sure, I saw the bombings in Paris coming. Doesnt console the victims or their families, nobody likes an "I told you".

feel better Harry! do like i'm doing with my fish and eat some good food. :)

• Like 1

Fish trapper. I ordered mine from Marine Depot

http://goo.gl/mgqDZ2

Check their video

If there is ick in the system, everybody has ick. Because you don't see visible symptoms doesn't mean they are not sick. Same with internal parasites.

Good point. Didn't think about if one has it, they all have it.

• Like 1

Morgan - not pieces of food - get whole foods- complete animals - like mussels, clams, whole squid, whole fish. blender that into mush with garlic and selcon (if you have it).

Also brine shrimp are like cheetos, taste good but are nutritionally poor.

Petlands carry live black worms - live blood worms are an alternative too.

Morgan - when you get home tonight, can you take photos? It might help for these guys to help diagnose exactly what is going on. I may have missed you doing this already though.

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

Morgan - not pieces of food - get whole foods- complete animals - like mussels, clams, whole squid, whole fish. blender that into mush with garlic and selcon (if you have it).

Also brine shrimp are like cheetos, taste good but are nutritionally poor.

Petlands carry live black worms - live blood worms are an alternative too.

i haven't seen a single Petland in colorado.

i'll pick up a whole animal of a few different things and blend them. i'm assuming the wider the variety the better?

what on earth is selcon!?

thecoralbeauty

Call your LFS to see what live foods they carry.

don't think the one i go to does. not sure about the others either. going to call.... betting its only brine shrimp, if anything.

I have a fever of over 102 so this might not be coherent, but I was reading back and had some input

1. Rude to call someone's input a "waste of time and money". Especially like that... Do you have any experience with it? Why not have a discussion without "poisoning the well" like that..

2. Not helpful to say "I saw this coming". Sure, I saw the bombings in Paris coming. Doesnt console the victims or their families, nobody likes an "I told you".

It is a waste of time and money because food doesn't cure ich. You saw the bombings in Paris coming :huh: ?

Why not throw the fish out the window and let them die quick. Better than a slow painful death.

• Like 2
thecoralbeauty

Morgan - when you get home tonight, can you take photos? It might help for these guys to help diagnose exactly what is going on. I may have missed you doing this already though.

haven't posted photos, by the time i even noticed, moonlights were on, my literature review was finished submitting to my professor, and i was headed for bed.

i'll do my best to take some tonight.

• Like 1

It is a waste of time and money because food doesn't cure ich. You saw the bombings in Paris coming :huh: ?

Why not throw the fish out the window and let them die quick. Better than a slow painful death.

I thought his comment(s) were just a very critical "I told you so" and not constructive. Morgan hasn't quoted or responded to them, but in my feverish state it was bothering me.

Sarcasm- He said "I saw ich coming" and that's as helpful as me saying "I saw the bombings in Paris coming". Not constructive and doesn't do anything except make people feel bad...

Like a young man doesn't wear their seatbelt and died in a car accident. Is it sympathetic or remotely helpful to tell his mom "well I told him that would happen"?

Okay signing off and taking a nap

Edit:

Here are some random snippets of the posts Morgan has ignored

"Only a narrow minded people doesn't get it"

"You are careless"

"Tank of death"

"Killing more fish"

• Like 1

Kiss ass much Harry? She said nothing can do didn't she? Why make fish suffer Harry ? Or she could put time into setting up a qt. cheap craigslist tank or something with hang on filter and get on mission of finding some used filter material to get it going. I'm sorry but as said before adding tangs to TINY tank without treating fish is asking for trouble. We all take risk in this hobby. It bothers me off to see careless actions to begin with but on top of it say nothing can do. Setup qt, give fish away to someone with qt that can try to treat them for you, or sit there and say can't do anything. I'd end it for them before let them Suffer.

I thought his comment(s) were just a very critical "I told you so" and not constructive. Morgan hasn't quoted or responded to them, but in my feverish state it was bothering me.

Sarcasm- He said "I saw ich coming" and that's as helpful as me saying "I saw the bombings in Paris coming". Not constructive and doesn't do anything except make people feel bad...

Like a young man doesn't wear their seatbelt and died in a car accident. Is it sympathetic or remotely helpful to tell his mom "well I told him that would happen"?

Okay signing off and taking a nap

Edit:

Here are some random snippets of the posts Morgan has ignored

"Only a narrow minded people doesn't get it"

"You are careless"

"Tank of death"

"Killing more fish"

Harry your helping nothing other than adding to your post count........

Is that better than Larry's or Rod's? Seems like that's what they do too except it's frozen by the time it gets to you.

:lol:

My goal is 13k by January ?

You understand that is not even decided that she has ich, right? All of this "make them not suffer" and "trash them" talk is based on pure speculation... Just a bit premature to recommend trashing them when it's not even certain if they're sick.

For all the people that keep pushing to qt her fish without even knowong what she is dealing with, have you even thought of the fact that the removal process and new environment could be enough stress in itself to kill the fish that are already struggling?

Morgan - at the very least get some LRS and selco boost. Will help alot. If you really want to feed live brine,look into methods to gut load them. As Kat has said live blackworms are great, but only if you can find them. If you are going the fresh food route,svae yourself some money and go to a oriental food market and pick up a bag of fresh seafood medley to chop up.

geez, i've never seen that carried anywhere local either.

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html
  • Like 5

All the LFS around here carries Larry's. Call your LFS and ask. Sometimes they don't advertise but it's in their freezer. If your fish is not eating, I also recommend Rod's Fish Eggs. That was the only thing one of my anthias would eat last week.

Edit: just checked their map, there are 4 stores in Denver that carries Larry's =). http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

All the LFS around here carries Larry's. Call your LFS and ask. Sometimes they don't advertise but it's in their freezer. If your fish is not eating, I also recommend Rod's Fish Eggs. That was the only thing one of my anthias would eat last week.

as of last night they were all huge pigs!!!

For all the people that keep pushing to qt her fish without even knowong what she is dealing with, have you even thought of the fact that the removal process and new environment could be enough stress in itself to kill the fish that are already struggling?

Morgan - at the very least get some LRS and selco boost. Will help alot. If you really want to feed live brine,look into methods to gut load them. As Kat has said live blackworms are great, but only if you can find them. If you are going the fresh food route,svae yourself some money and go to a oriental food market and pick up a bag of fresh seafood medley to chop up.

http://www.larrysreefservices.com/where-to-buy-lrs.html

awesome. this is so helpful!!

Kiss ass much Harry? She said nothing can do didn't she? Why make fish suffer Harry ? Or she could put time into setting up a qt. cheap craigslist tank or something with hang on filter and get on mission of finding some used filter material to get it going. I'm sorry but as said before adding tangs to TINY tank without treating fish is asking for trouble. We all take risk in this hobby. It bothers me off to see careless actions to begin with but on top of it say nothing can do. Setup qt, give fish away to someone with qt that can try to treat them for you, or sit there and say can't do anything. I'd end it for them before let them Suffer.

Harry your helping nothing other than adding to your post count........

The more you open your mouth in this thread the more respect for you I loose. While MOST of your technical advice is sound, your method of delivery is completely rude. Everyone else in here is trying to help her current situation, in a respectful manner. You should do the same. This kind of shit is why alot of people bad mouth this forum. To amke matters worse, you are a respected TOTM holder. I thought you had a bit more class than this.
  • Like 1
  • thecoralbeauty changed the title to Anthrax & Gangs! *mimosa clams are here*