Coral Vue Hydros

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

I figured I'd show the difference in the chili coral during the day when it's all closed up. Here's the cave where the chili lives (the dark spot you can't see into behind the redspot glass cardinal):

KXmAzUm.jpg

Here's the Chili all closed up for the day inside the cave:

QP6JktS.jpg

And the same picture this morning when it was just about to start closing up. Lights still off, but about to start ramping up:

RJtrhGm.jpg

I bet you're exactly right! Most people probably come across them in a LFS without any context on how they should be placed and understandably assume they're like most any other coral. I'm sure your attention to this has a lot to do with your success.

Or just luck of the draw and the fact I feed my tank too much :lol:

Actually, I also noticed that the skin is very rough - rougher than a finger leather or toadstool - and if it is in the light, it will grow algae on it pretty quick - so that might be another reason as I'm thinking it wouldn't be able to survive long if algae grows on it. It is really an interesting coral and I hope I can continue to keep it happy!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm having work motivation issues today :blush:

So instead of working, I took more fotos!

Top down of the clam section. When i take the photo head on, this area looks super cramped. But when you look top down, you can see the space between corals (not like there's a TON of space, but more than when you look head on). Here's the comparison:

Top down:

FhQ51fQ.jpg

Head on:

dLTTEt8.jpg

And white pipe organ:

iwYc8kz.jpg?1

Beautiful photos, but that's some crazy amount of bubble algae. Hope the red mithraxes (mithraxi?) stay very hungry. You need some long pipettes to get all that stuff sucked out of there.

Beautiful photos, but that's some crazy amount of bubble algae. Hope the red mithraxes (mithraxi?) stay very hungry. You need some long pipettes to get all that stuff sucked out of there.

Oh pipettes wouldn't do crap on this stuff :) This stuff is stubborn - it is attached very well and can't be knocked off. I figure as long as it isn't near the corals, I don't worry about it. I fought it for a long time, going in and removing everything I could see weekly. I just couldn't keep up and it wasn't worth the stress. So, I let it grow where it won't bother anything and take it off where it will. Maybe it's the wrong approach, but I figure if it isn't bothering anything, then I'm not going to let it bother me.

And one last picture! The lone grandis :lol: Actually, it's shooting up a second polyp now! I got this one from cultivated reef a few months ago.

dXNI6qh.jpg

That pipe organ is stunning! You know the funny thing, in one of my past tanks, one of my non-reefer friends pointed out the bubble algae in my tank and was all interested in it, how cool it looks. Nevermind the awesome and pretty coral in there...they loved the bubble algae LOL. It really isn't a terrible looking algae..but it has the ability to take over which is scary to me.

That pipe organ is stunning! You know the funny thing, in one of my past tanks, one of my non-reefer friends pointed out the bubble algae in my tank and was all interested in it, how cool it looks. Nevermind the awesome and pretty coral in there...they loved the bubble algae LOL. It really isn't a terrible looking algae..but it has the ability to take over which is scary to me.

Yeah, once I realized I had an infestation, I figured I'd do my best to not let it bug corals and the rest, eh, it will live on. It does choke out corals at the base, so I do spend time every week removing it from the base of different corals. I am going to try the scalpel though. The tweezers pop them more often than not.

Jeff calls the stuff the black oil from X-Files :lol: He loves the bubble algae. Go figure

Yeah, once I realized I had an infestation, I figured I'd do my best to not let it bug corals and the rest, eh, it will live on. It does choke out corals at the base, so I do spend time every week removing it from the base of different corals. I am going to try the scalpel though. The tweezers pop them more often than not.

Jeff calls the stuff the black oil from X-Files :lol: He loves the bubble algae. Go figure

Yeah, the trick is to not pop the bubbles. It takes time, but the scalpel works and you will notice the bubble algae getting less and less to clean every week. Mine is almost all gone!

Beautiful! That chilli coral is awesome. This tank is definitely TOTM worthy, it's filled in so nicely and I'm with you I love a cramped full tank!

:flower: Thank you, Jackie!

It's funny, you're like, I have a lot of room looking down. Your version of room and mine are totally different. You're funny.

:lol: I definitely like packed tanks

Archived