ReefCleaners.org

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

Good tip! I had been looking at them but am not sure if they'll do well in my tank since I don't have sandy substrate - it's more of a very coarse pebble. I'll have to look again.

I had a hawiian black. It was VERY course. Almost like rubble. Some pieces were pea sized and it did fine in it. Then again, I had a small tank so I let it fix my issue and I brought it back to the store.

It was only in my tank a few weeks at most.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 55 freshwater, got tired of the height, up to my armpit w/ the gravel cleaner in there. Now had the 55 been as short as a 20 long on height I woulda kept it.

I had a hawiian black. It was VERY course. Almost like rubble. Some pieces were pea sized and it did fine in it. Then again, I had a small tank so I let it fix my issue and I brought it back to the store. It was only in my tank a few weeks at most.

I might just pull the trigger then! Maybe put a Tupperware with Sandy substrate behind the Tonga branches.

I had a 55 freshwater, got tired of the height, up to my armpit w/ the gravel cleaner in there. Now had the 55 been as short as a 20 long on height I woulda kept it.

It is tall. So is this tank so I've gotten used to it. The good part about the height is I will really have enough depth for gorgonians which I don't have in the 12 now. And some of my lower light macros will appreciate the depth as well. I was thinking of putting in a 4-5 inch deep sand bed for garden eels. But thinking against that now. But garden eels are so dang cute the way they pop out of the sand.

I might just pull the trigger then! Maybe put a Tupperware with Sandy substrate behind the Tonga branches.

always a good idea. :) now that I'm thinking of it, I think I may have tried that but mine wanted nothing to do with it. Memories fuzzy. Either way, if you keep the fishy for the long haul it would definitely be good if you can hide it well enough.

always a good idea. :) now that I'm thinking of it, I think I may have tried that but mine wanted nothing to do with it. Memories fuzzy. Either way, if you keep the fishy for the long haul it would definitely be good if you can hide it well enough.

Ha! Bert used to do this with my mp40 and it freaked me out! I was glad when he moved into his cave and then into the barnacles

• 4 weeks later...

Holy cow! Over 4 weeks since an update :blush:

Here's an overdue full tank shot from last week:

fLQfqea.jpg

Since my last update, I've added two melanurus wrasses - a small juvenile/female and a large male! They cleared up the rust flatworms in a couple days and are doing a number on my overpopulation of bristle worms! I haven't been able to get a good photo of either. They are really beautiful fish.

I snapped this quick photo when I saw so many of my fish out in the open! I'm glad the clowns have relocated to the front of the tank instead of the very back behind the tonga:

33b9b5H.jpg

My blue maxima from Cultivated Reef is still doing well and seems happy! I still expect to wake up in the morning and see it dead after last year's experience with ORA clams:

sWcPakF.jpg

HrAY9GF.jpg

I had also picked up a squammy at the LFS a couple months ago and it seems happy as well:

GlM1Pxy.jpg

Top down of the two clams. You can also see a baby RFA (more like a teenager now to use Spectra's terms!) under the cynarina on the left.

wmSd2mI.jpg

Pink Zippers from PolarCollision

Gyo4wvw.jpg

Not the best shot, especially since the larger wrasse had buried himself right under the alveopora garden and knocked a few frags over:

rkmXIjA.jpg?1

This pink sinularia is growing like crazy all of a sudden:

wCIZCSC.jpg

This lobo is one of my favorites. I picked it up from AquaSD and it has all sorts of colors under blues:

0Hp3BWM.jpg

Here's what it looks like under daylights:

N0FFLQM.jpg

Some zoas I got from Rafastank:

Za4JRU7.jpg

Some other zoas, but you can see the ones in the photo above under daylights to the left of the zoas in the middle:

ssHakdg.jpg

Red spot cardinals swimming over the maxima:

8RoFilt.jpg

Jeff and I picked up our new toy last Friday! It's been nice to be back out on the water. I sure missed it.

9oNmjfe.jpg

It doesn't look that hot in this photo, but it was freaking HOT out when we went out last Saturday:

YN01M9C.jpg

WRnrhO0.jpg

DBpvufu.jpg

And the first trip into our marina here in town!

5RBNFwi.jpg

Magellan, my foxface, sleeps in the gorgonians at night. He has a favorite one too! I took these photos on a couple of different nights. He camouflages himself when he's sleeping as well:

zXHCEMY.jpg

xeBNolz.jpg

bEhVc8J.jpg

Ok, here are some photos of the melanurus wrasses! Not great, they move a lot and it's hard to get photos:

The big guy - his name is Ferdinand since Magellan follows him around everywhere, all day:

3QzxXTs.jpg

And the little female/juvenile:

ckGLSMd.jpg

This pink sinularia is growing like crazy all of a sudden:

wCIZCSC.jpg

This lobo is one of my favorites. I picked it up from AquaSD and it has all sorts of colors under blues:

0Hp3BWM.jpg

Here's what it looks like under daylights:

N0FFLQM.jpg

Some zoas I got from Rafastank:

Za4JRU7.jpg

Some other zoas, but you can see the ones in the photo above under daylights to the left of the zoas in the middle:

ssHakdg.jpg

Red spot cardinals swimming over the maxima:

8RoFilt.jpg

Jeff and I picked up our new toy last Friday! It's been nice to be back out on the water. I sure missed it.

9oNmjfe.jpg

It doesn't look that hot in this photo, but it was freaking HOT out when we went out last Saturday:

YN01M9C.jpg

WRnrhO0.jpg

DBpvufu.jpg

And the first trip into our marina here in town!

5RBNFwi.jpg

That isn't a BOAT! It's more than a Yacht! That damn thing is a SHIP! ;)

:wub: Loves ya :)

That isn't a BOAT! It's more than a Yacht! That damn thing is a SHIP! ;)

:wub: Loves ya :)

:lol: It's only 23' so I wouldn't call it a ship or a yacht! And there's no frills, so I say boat :)

Your tank looks sooo mature already. Really awesome. Glad the clams are doing well for you.

Thanks Ninja!!! How's your clam doing?

The tank is 295 days old today :)

It looks mature because I stuffed a bunch of crap in there :lol:

A couple more boat photos. The dogs generally always go out with us and they love it!

Franklin watching the action on the dock:

rMdCkXJ.jpg

Iko and Stella chillin'

iLQuXfd.jpg

Tank is looking awesome! And I am jealous of the boat!

ha! Thanks Jackie!

Right side of the tank. I'm going to need to do some gorgonian trimming soon. This is from a couple weeks ago, and they've been going through a growth spurt lately. They've grown since this photo:

UMflPFe.jpg

And a puffy fox coral:

aSh5lCt.jpg

And last but not least, the Chromis trio:

KMFG5d6.jpg

:wub: Ur Tank Stells!!

:wub: Ur Puppies too!

And last but not least, I will have to be an "Enabler"...... :wub: That SHIP! AKA Yacht, AKA Boat ;)

:wub: Ur Tank Stells!!

:wub: Ur Puppies too!

And last but not least, I will have to be an "Enabler"...... :wub: That SHIP! AKA Yacht, AKA Boat ;)

:lol: You're enabling Jack, that's who you're enabling :)

Thanks Astinus!

Wow that's quite an update! Your tank has really hit its stride. Things are growing like crazy and every coral and fish looks great!

Oh yeah, nice yacht too :)

Wow, It's just so colorful. And full!!! So many things I can't focus on it all at once. & or 8 fish in one shot, that was cool! And the boat, amazing, I'd want to do it every weekend.

Wow, It's just so colorful. And full!!! So many things I can't focus on it all at once. & or 8 fish in one shot, that was cool! And the boat, amazing, I'd want to do it every weekend.

Thanks A! Come visit!!! I found some macros for my macro tank last Saturday out on the boat. It's fun hunting for them. I only take the ones that have detached and that's probably illegal but oh well.

2 days ago go look Kettle :P I posted photos of plumbing :lol:

Plumbing doesn't count- and I actually think you told me that in this thread somewhere :lol:

Wow that's quite an update! Your tank has really hit its stride. Things are growing like crazy and every coral and fish looks great! Oh yeah, nice yacht too :)

Thanks teeny!!! Now if I could just get rid of the bubble algae - which I think is impossible at this point. I'm thinking of picking up 5 or 6 red Mithrax and see if they'll munch it. Magellan picks at it, but finds other stuff he likes better (I.e I spoil him with macros)

And lol to the yacht! Dammit!

Now if I can just get my macro tank to start turning around, I'd be happy. I lost a lot of macros with the transfer - I couldn't keep up the nitrates and phosphates - and even dumping skimmate in there, I still had a ton melt. I now bought some nitrates and phosphates to dose so I don't need to stink up the room for a couple hours with skimmate. Jeff is happier with that

Archived