Cultivated Reef

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, your tank has really gotten stunning! It's nice to see the chili corals doing so well since they're one of those ones with a bad reputation for dying after a few months. I guess your rigorous overfeeding regiment is paying off :D

Watch out for the nuclear green palys, in my tank they ended up spreading like weeds.

Thanks Teeny! :flower:

Yeah, the overfeeding definitely makes the chili coral happy :lol:

Yeah, good tip on those! I actually moved them after I took the pictures over to an area by themselves. I had a similar strain in my biocube and they went NUTS! I had totally forgotten about it.

The chili coral sure has grown!

It has! It's gotten really long. When it opens, it almost touches the sand now. not quite sure where to move it to once it gets longer - I don't have another place with a good place to hang it upside down!

Thanks Teeny! :flower:

Yeah, the overfeeding definitely makes the chili coral happy :lol:

Yeah, good tip on those! I actually moved them after I took the pictures over to an area by themselves. I had a similar strain in my biocube and they went NUTS! I had totally forgotten about it.

It has! It's gotten really long. When it opens, it almost touches the sand now. not quite sure where to move it to once it gets longer - I don't have another place with a good place to hang it upside down!

Yeah ,I understand that. I have a very low tank as far as rocks go so there's no place to hang something. Maybe once it hits the sand it'll just turn and go off.

Tank is looking fantastic! My melanurus wrasse ripped my poor Halloween crab to pieces, along with killing almost every snail I had. Needless to say I caught and sold him:/

Have you gotten TOTM yet? Cause you definitely deserve it!

Thanks Yoshii! Well, my tank isn't even a year old yet so still young. Did you get anything fun at macna??

Tank is looking fantastic! My melanurus wrasse ripped my poor Halloween crab to pieces, along with killing almost every snail I had. Needless to say I caught and sold him:/

Thanks Jackie! Woah I can't believe it ate a Halloween hermit!! Mine haven't gone after my porcelain crabs or hermits - but two of the tiny Mithrax the small wrasse got them and banged them against a rock until they were dead then ate them :wacko: they do eat the fireworms I had in my tank and also the rust brown flatworms - I'm hoping they will stay good - or semi good. They do eat micro stars which is kind of sad but oh well. Circle of life I guess!

I was able to get a good picture of the chili this morning! Looked back as to when I got it and it is one day short of 10 months in the tank! yay. I took this before lights came up and turned on all the lights in the kitchen.

RJtrhGm.jpg

That's so cool , I've always wanted one but was always talked out of it .

It didn't open for a MONTH about 6 months ago when i couldn't get nutrients stable. Definitely doesn't like high nitrates or phosphates, but loves to be fed. I thought I was going to lose it but ever since, it's been growing like crazy. I have the auto feeder set to feed coral frenzy during the night as it seems it opens up after midnight and then is open until just before lights come on at 10. Well, and I should say I probably still run high nutrients - my nitrates run between 5-8 and phosphates at around .05 I think last I checked. So still high - but when nitrates climbed over 10 and phosphates got over .1, it was NOT happy at all. Since I got that all dialed it it hasn't been a hard coral to keep at all.

Looks amazing!!! It's all grown in perfectly :wub:.

For the bubble algae...try using a scalpel and knock it off the rocks. It's really easy to do with a scalpel and then some of your fish will eat the floaters (my female clown does) and then scoop up the rest with a net when you turn the flow back on. I do this weekly and it makes a huge difference!

Looks amazing!!! It's all grown in perfectly :wub:.

For the bubble algae...try using a scalpel and knock it off the rocks. It's really easy to do with a scalpel and then some of your fish will eat the floaters (my female clown does) and then scoop up the rest with a net when you turn the flow back on. I do this weekly and it makes a huge difference!

Thanks Gena! I'll try this. The tweezers don't seem to work, so I'll get a scalpel and try that. I'm open to anything! It doesn't bug me that much honestly, only when it starts to get too close to corals since it can suffocate them.

And thank you for the wonderful compliment! It means a lot, especially coming from you!

Since I'm making an effort to share the good, the bad and the ugly in this thread, how's THIS for a bubble algae? :lol: found it up near the chili coral and got it out without popping it.

It was big enough that you could see my phone and reflection in the bubble!

bXU8URw.jpg

Thanks Gena! I'll try this. The tweezers don't seem to work, so I'll get a scalpel and try that. I'm open to anything! It doesn't bug me that much honestly, only when it starts to get too close to corals since it can suffocate them.

And thank you for the wonderful compliment! It means a lot, especially coming from you!

The scalpel will knock them off without popping. Occasionally you'll get a stubborn one but for the most part it works perfectly :).

Girl...you have a TOTM quality tank on your hands :bowdown:.

The scalpel will knock them off without popping. Occasionally you'll get a stubborn one but for the most part it works perfectly :).

Girl...you have a TOTM quality tank on your hands :bowdown:.

:blush: Thank you! Even with my monster bubbles? :lol:

Did you see the one Lalani posted awhile ago? THAT was the biggest I'd ever seen!!!! It was like 10x as big LOL

No i didnt! thats crazy, ill have to search for it.

Did you see the one Lalani posted awhile ago? THAT was the biggest I'd ever seen!!!! It was like 10x as big LOL

HA! NO! I need to go find it though. I was shining a flashlight at night and saw this thing and thought WHAT is THAT?? Is that a freaking bubble algae????

Christopher Marks

Great photo updates stella, thank you for sharing! Your tank is really growing in beautifully and the diversity of livestock is incredible. I am particularly impressed with that chili coral, I rarely ever see them in mixed reefs, and yours looks to be pretty content. Is it almost growing downwards?

Great photo updates stella, thank you for sharing! Your tank is really growing in beautifully and the diversity of livestock is incredible. I am particularly impressed with that chili coral, I rarely ever see them in mixed reefs, and yours looks to be pretty content. Is it almost growing downwards?

:wub: Thanks Chris!!! It is growing downwards, good eye! I had read that they do best when hung upside down as their natural habitat is the tops of caves, under the edges of cliffs, etc. I am now wondering if many don't survive in captivity since generally we place the corals to grow up, rather than down. Who knows. Once I figured out what it liked and didn't like, it has been a pretty easy coral. It's also a good quality meter for me - if it looks unhappy, something is off and I go about testing stuff.

Christopher Marks

I had read that they do best when hung upside down as their natural habitat is the tops of caves, under the edges of cliffs, etc. I am now wondering if many don't survive in captivity since generally we place the corals to grow up, rather than down. Who knows.

I bet you're exactly right! Most people probably come across them in a LFS without any context on how they should be placed and understandably assume they're like most any other coral. I'm sure your attention to this has a lot to do with your success.

Archived