Innovative Marine Aquariums

Daves Nano Box Drop Off Lagoon : New Start

DaveFason

FlowerMama

Interesting I've been reading a lot about shorter light periods and it makes sense. How do you set it up to where you actually are home when the lights are on. I feel by the time I get home from work I never get to enjoy the lighted tank.

Change your time zone 3 hrs earlier like CA.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Interesting I've been reading a lot about shorter light periods and it makes sense. How do you set it up to where you actually are home when the lights are on. I feel by the time I get home from work I never get to enjoy the lighted tank.

Turn on either Dynamic Sunrise OR Sunset (and not both) and then set your Morning Start Time or Night Start Time to whenever you want the photoperiod to either start or end, respectively. This will alter the total length of the photoperiod according to your sim location but will always start/end at the same time.

I get a PM or email daily on what I personally use on this system. I wanted to give everyone a run down on what goes on in this tank.

Daily :

• ALK & CAL 2-Part
  • 1/8 Teaspoon of Reef Roids
  • 3-4 drops of Polyp Booster
  • 2 drops of Colors
  • 2 Feedings of dry food - pinch each

Weekly :

• Clean skimmer cup
  • Dose two drops of Lugols Solution
  • Turkey blast all rocks
  • Check all pumps

Monthly :

• Clean pumps
  • Check ATO
  • Swap PolypLab carbon

Lighting :

• NanoBox Duo Plus
    • Royal Blue - 90%
    • Whites - 30%
    • Violet - 80%
    • Blue/Cyan - 90%
  • Eight - nine hour schedule has been the sweet spot for my tank.

I am not one to just promote something but the PolypLab products are unreal. I thought it was snake oil when I heard about it but the response from my corals has been phenomenal.

26865731622_74cbc6627e_z.jpgpolyplab by Dave Fason, on Flickr

After dosing Lugals weekly my blue and soft corals have really started to perk up. I do however know this is very easy to over dose so if you plan on doing the same be careful.

As requested a FTS. I felt like a different view. :)

26686404990_5dec398819_z.jpgFTSlagoontop by Dave Fason, on Flickr

And my bud

26891506061_f67342d0f0_z.jpgmaxprep by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Enjoy!

-Dave

Finishing the equipment up for the Red Sea but a few goodies arrived. :D

27027922896_e229480a91_z.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

New York was a blast. A great two day trip of fun, food and booze. Momofuku Ko was top three favorite meals I have ever had. Fourteen courses and we did the pairing as well. Cocktails, sake, wines and beer. UNREAL. Missing a few pictures but you get the point. The showed us the tour as well!

26966509882_8e57178558_z.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

26940508462_7e4d6cfc94_z.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

If your ever in NY GO TO Levain. Best cookies on this earth.

26786450380_dd24057069_z.jpgUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

More pictures of the Lagoon this week!

-Dave

Stop tempting us/me with food we can't have! Don't live near there and damn I want a cookie. :D

You have plenty of places near you. Let me know when you want a few recommendations.

-Dave

Ha! Thanks. I love the hobby and have some really cool stuff in the works. NanoBox gallery coming soon. :)

As for my lighting schedule I reduced it to ~ 8 hours. I found that pumping them with so much light for long periods resulted in more pale corals. Basically I was not able to keep up with growth. I found that with short periods and heavy feedings that I get better coloration and more healthy looking corals.

Soon! I need to clean her up for you guys.

This pretty much echoes the study that ecotech did with their radions. I read that paper and I've actually changed my lighting schedule to mimic what they're using.

Not sure if it'll work out, but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it turns out.

FlowerMama

You have plenty of places near you. Let me know when you want a few recommendations.

-Dave

True, It's just more fun sometimes in other cities, or if I had a boyfriend to go with! It's only this year that I'm ready to do that after 4 yrs. Date, that is.

Every time I find one of your threads you are upgrading. :) Thanks for posting your daily routines, very helpful.

Every time I find one of your threads you are upgrading. :) Thanks for posting your daily routines, very helpful.

This tank will be staying up. It has been just so much fun to take down. So perfect timing. ;)

I just started a Reefer Nano and I love it, such a nice tank. Is that the nano or 170?

Good to hear. I am really impressed with the build of the tank. It is a 170.

-Dave

Dave, may I ask what settings you are using on your light? That's the sort of look i'm chasing. I finally got my fixture finished, fried a single LED in the process and am loving things so far. May have to order a new array from you in the near future.

Dave, may I ask what settings you are using on your light? That's the sort of look i'm chasing. I finally got my fixture finished, fried a single LED in the process and am loving things so far. May have to order a new array from you in the near future.

Towards the top of the page has your answer on light setting

Lighting :

NanoBox Duo Plus

Royal Blue - 90%

Whites - 30%

Violet - 80%

Blue/Cyan - 90%

Towards the top of the page has your answer on light setting

Lighting :

NanoBox Duo Plus

Royal Blue - 90%

Whites - 30%

Violet - 80%

Blue/Cyan - 90%

Oh damn, must have scrolled right past it. Thanks for pointing it out jbb!

Oh damn, must have scrolled right past it. Thanks for pointing it out jbb!

You're just getting old ... We aren't judging

I can hardly wait to see that 170 come to life......

But remember all you need is a Prime over it :rolleyes: I had to :lol:

• 1 month later...

I get a PM or email daily on what I personally use on this system. I wanted to give everyone a run down on what goes on in this tank.

Daily :

• ALK & CAL 2-Part
  • 1/8 Teaspoon of Reef Roids
  • 3-4 drops of Polyp Booster
  • 2 drops of Colors
  • 2 Feedings of dry food - pinch each

Weekly :

• Clean skimmer cup
  • Dose two drops of Lugols Solution
  • Turkey blast all rocks
  • Check all pumps

Monthly :

• Clean pumps
  • Check ATO
  • Swap PolypLab carbon

Lighting :

• NanoBox Duo Plus
    • Royal Blue - 90%
    • Whites - 30%
    • Violet - 80%
    • Blue/Cyan - 90%
  • Eight - nine hour schedule has been the sweet spot for my tank.

I am not one to just promote something but the PolypLab products are unreal. I thought it was snake oil when I heard about it but the response from my corals has been phenomenal.

26865731622_74cbc6627e_z.jpgpolyplab by Dave Fason, on Flickr

After dosing Lugals weekly my blue and soft corals have really started to perk up. I do however know this is very easy to over dose so if you plan on doing the same be careful.

As requested a FTS. I felt like a different view. :)

26686404990_5dec398819_z.jpgFTSlagoontop by Dave Fason, on Flickr

And my bud

26891506061_f67342d0f0_z.jpgmaxprep by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Enjoy!

-Dave

Dave, are you using natural sun in your 8 hour schedule? or do you break it up with morning/midday/evening? If you do not use natural sun could you post the details of the schedule for morning/midday/evening including colors/intensity/and length of each part of the day.

thanks!

Archived