Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Daves Nano Box Drop Off Lagoon : New Start

DaveFason

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carry to new page.

I picked up a tailspot blenny and a captive bred mated pair of Bangaii Cardinals last week. My wife said I needed more life in the tank. The additions have done just that!

29941897745_938eecde05_z.jpgbangcardinalpair by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29941896685_33e2b53659_z.jpgtailspotclam by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29941897015_a20b6f1d1e_z.jpgstarburtcloseup by Dave Fason, on Flickr

29941897395_fafd544efe_z.jpglegmicropinkmacro by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Enjoy!

Thanks! I notice the cardinals like to hang at much lower depths than the others. The wrasse normally is swimming through the entire tank. It really is cool having the added depth. Not only for corals but livestock.

Hey Dave, the drop-off is looking great. Curious, have you noticed any preferences of the fish for the shallower or deeper side?

I may have set up a IM10 last week in the office. A few rock flower anemones and my leather. More to come!

29937729516_ccdffd4777_z.jpgflowernemnanoboxim10 by David Fason, on Flickr

My Sinularia/leather is still alive ( but mad ) after being in a Lowes bucket for three weeks with no light. It shows you how resilient corals are.

-Dave

• 1 month later...

As much as I love this tank it will be coming down. The bowing on the front is making me not sleep at night.

The Reefer 170 that has been sitting will be going up in the next few weeks. Also will be trying out the new LOOP system.

-Dave

As much as I love this tank it will be coming down. The bowing on the front is making me not sleep at night.

The Reefer 170 that has been sitting will be going up in the next few weeks. Also will be trying out the new LOOP system.

-Dave

Oh the acrylic bow :scarry:

A local store set one up for a month and the bow scarred them also.......they ended up taking it down but left the Attol running.

-Dave

What is LOOP system, and have you contacted IM about the bowing?

I dont mind bowing as long as it hasn't exploded yet ;) send it to me

I had a friend get a drop off tank as well from IM. His started bowing and he contacted IM. They didn't seem to care or said it would be fine.... Time will tell i guess :unsure: .

Current LOOP - DC Pump and what not.

What is a LOOP system?

This...

Oh the acrylic bow :scarry:

A local store set one up for a month and the bow scarred them also.......they ended up taking it down but left the Attol running.

Current LOOP ( pumps ). I contacted them and they assured it would be fine with the step in the tank. However I just do not feel good about it. As well it is a eye sore.

What is LOOP system, and have you contacted IM about the bowing?

I dont mind bowing as long as it hasn't exploded yet ;) send it to me

;)

Keyword is "yet"....

They assured me it would be fine. But the eye sore and just not 100% sure on 3/8" acrylic that is rimless.

I had a friend get a drop off tank as well from IM. His started bowing and he contacted IM. They didn't seem to care or said it would be fine.... Time will tell i guess :unsure: .

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE IM tanks. I just don't feel good enough about a acrylic rimless tank that is pretty tall and long bowing in my guest room. Garage would be a different story!

-Dave

jedimasterben

That's a truckload of nope

Current LOOP ( pumps ). I contacted them and they assured it would be fine with the step in the tank. However I just do not feel good about it. As well it is a eye sore.

But if you're not going to use their lights and their pumps both, then not much point in it lol

Using the pumps and maybe syncing something new to it from NanoBox...

That's a truckload of nope

But if you're not going to use their lights and their pumps both, then not much point in it lol

-Dave

I adore this tank and DON'T want to take mine down, so I will be the guinea pig :). I talked with IM about it as well and they assured me it's safe. I'm hoping if there are issues there will be signs of trouble long before it lets go. Bowing is normal for acrylic from what they said and all that I've read..it's a natural property of the material. I only used 15 gallons of water to fill this tank...which is much better than a 50g or 100g plus tank exploding.
jedimasterben

I adore this tank and DON'T want to take mine down, so I will be the guinea pig :). I talked with IM about it as well and they assured me it's safe. I'm hoping if there are issues there will be signs of trouble long before it lets go. Bowing is normal for acrylic from what they said and all that I've read..it's a natural property of the material. I only used 15 gallons of water to fill this tank...which is much better than a 50g or 100g plus tank exploding.

The problem is not that it bows - but that it bows too much to the point where it stresses the material too much. 15 gallons may not seem like a lot, but imagine the damage that an inch of water will do to your flooring and your walls... A bit too much for me to think about :wacko:

The problem is not that it bows - but that it bows too much to the point where it stresses the material too much. 15 gallons may not seem like a lot, but imagine the damage that an inch of water will do to your flooring and your walls... A bit too much for me to think about :wacko:

From what I've read there will be signs of stress so I'll just look for those things..not a big deal. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for the tank though, that's for sure. Had I known before buying that bowing was a concern, I wouldn't have bought it. Now that I have it and see how it looks set up, I really really want it to work out fingerscrossed. It's an awesome looking tank!

Using the pumps and maybe syncing something new to it from NanoBox...

I can beta test !!! LOL, actually I am serious. LOL

I just set up one of the eflux powerheads tonight, just to see if I would like it. I got the little 660 GPH one.... man it is tiny...

I do think the GPH is a little exaggerated though. I am going to get the bigger pump for the other side of my tank.

The product seems well thought out, you get a ton of stuff if you buy it as a kit. Only thing that is nagging at me is how similar these pumps are to the Jebao's. I mean the 660 is so close to the Jebao Sw-2 it is scary.

Archived