Page 15: "I've been waiting for you for a year!"

holy carp: "Well here I am"

Page 15: "Harry got to me in 10 days!"

holy carp: "Yeah, but Harry posts a few hundred messages a day..."

Page 15: "Metrokat got to me in just 5 days!!!"

holy carp: "Yeah, but she's like a celebrity with thousands of followers"

Page 15: "'Scuses 'scuses. I'm sending a message to Page 16 not to wait up."

• Like 5

I haven't moved my whatchamadoodle out of the cave yet... Jack-O-Lantern Leptos are very sensitive to exposure to air IME, so I'm always wary...

• Like 2

Pinchy seems OK. The mat is spreading out slowly. The body looks like it may be losing a little mass, but I'm going to leave it until it looks more stable. Sorry, the glass is getting dirty, so it's getting harder to get good shots.

357ir0w.jpg

Also, new contest:

2j43j2w.jpg

Winner TBD...

• Like 3

That definitely looks like Pinchy is extending the mat, which is a good sign! Maybe just moving from where it was before to the shot glass got him away from whatever was bothering him before. It's so hard to figure out specific causes for zoa distress sometimes.

• Like 1

Well, I think a healthy tank has its own issues - the elegance coral seems to be growing at an exponential rate, and I think it's outgrowing the tank waaaaay faster than I had planned.

e060lk.jpg

At least I know the torch can be pruned, but this guy may have to be re-homed... :(

• Like 4
Elizabeth94

Yea, those things grow fast and they have a pretty potent sting in my experience.

I had to rehome mine a while back.. too bad, it was a beautiful coral and one of my favorites.

• Like 1

Yeah, its pace of growth really picked up in the last month or two. Must be a teenager. It is a shame, because I love the coloration and the movement, but I'm not ready for a bigger tank. If the clowns hosted it, I'd consider moving them and the elegance to a barebottom cube, but I might have to say goodbye to this guy. I don't know of any way to frag it except for with a band saw... Note to self: Only fraggable corals belong in small aquariums.

In other news, I was keeping an eye on that little plate coral recently, and although eating very well, one section wouldn't ever puff up. It slowly darkened. I got suspicious, so tonight I dipped it in ReVive for 10 minutes and then betadine for 5. While in the ReVive dip, I gently squirted it with a pipette and the brownish section just sloughed off. It now has 5 naked fins of bone. All I can do is keep feeding it and hope it heals.

Oh, no! I actually found some recession on mine, too, yesterday. Moved it out in the open for a few minutes, where the flow could get to it, then moved it back into its lesser-flow spot where it seemed to be less upset. I'll check in on it again today :(

OK, so hypothetically...

If I got a 16x16 cube on sale from Marine Depot, put just the elegance in there, got a coral compulsion on a timer to light it up - what else would I need to do to make it a simple AIO? I'm thinking it could 'cascade' my 5g weekly waterchange from the main tank, so it would have sufficient nutrients in the water. Would a powerhead and some live rock (or xport block) suffice?

No... no... no... Ha ha ha. I know what you're thinking... I don't have MTS! This is just hypothetical. theoretical. A way to keep that elegance, my first ever coral... Why you look at me funny?

• Like 6

Do it. Do it. Do it.

Oh! I think my plate is receding because it's not getting enough food for the light/nutrients in the water, relatively speaking? I know you feed more often than I do, but I've basically fed it two or three times. And considering it's small, it may need additional energy from prey capture until it's a better size. The green plate is at least twice its size and doing just dandy. I'm going to try feeding everyone today, and measuring phosphate again before and after. Hmm..

• Like 1

These little plates are surprisingly sensitive for corals that eat so readily. (Mine only eats frozen, but regurgitates pellets) I've been feeding mine daily recently, but it still doesn't seem to be improving much. I need to give it more time to see if dipping was helpful / hurtful / indifferent, but at least it still eats. Unfortunately, the flesh seems to have died up to about 2mm from the mouth, so hopefully the necrosis ends there.

I've been putting some 1" tubing over it to spot feed it, since the clowns and nassarius will steal anything I try to place directly on the plate. They're foodies, and assume if the food is plated, it's served.

Did you take yours off the plug yet?

• Like 2

...They were on plugs? I guess I took it off as soon as I got it, huh. :rolleyes: Yeah, I let it sit on the bottom, shaded from the worst of the flow by the big green one so it wouldn't move around.

Hope it heals up for you! :c

Oh. I took it off the original and put it on that one, whoops.. Just to make it heavier, I guess. It's still basically on 'a' floor, just not the very bottom?

The elegance gets bigger by the day... And I never even feed it.

2n0lkjb.jpg

Crazy how the flesh extends all the way around and underneath.

• Like 3
HarryPotter

Page 15: "Well it's about time"

holy carp: "What do you mean"

Page 15: "I've been waiting for you for a year!"

holy carp: "Well here I am"

Page 15: "Harry got to me in 10 days!"

holy carp: "Yeah, but Harry posts a few hundred messages a day..."

Page 15: "Metrokat got to me in just 5 days!!!"

holy carp: "Yeah, but she's like a celebrity with thousands of followers"

Page 15: "'Scuses 'scuses. I'm sending a message to Page 16 not to wait up."

Lmfao :lol::lol::lol:

Any way to plumb the elegance coral tank into this one? Make them both overflow to a common sump and split/add another return?

• Like 2

Lmfao :lol::lol::lol:

Any way to plumb the elegance coral tank into this one? Make them both overflow to a common sump and split/add another return?

I've considered it, but there are 2 issues - It would need a separate stand, for which I don't have space in the vicinity, or it would need a long distance of plumbing, which probably wouldn't work. Unless I drilled through the wall... Hmm... I'll noodle more on this one.

For comparison, this was the elegance on 7/11/15:

vxzr6c.png

• Like 1