Innovative Marine Aquariums

jacks cube -an unfinished story

jack1978

Hey, teeny......the 9004.......anything you don't like about it?

Would you run it again if you had to do it over?

Yes, I've been happy with it and I'd do it again. Good skimming and no bubbles, plus it's quiet.

The only negative is that you have to physically move it up and down to adjust the depth - it attaches to the side of the tank or inner divider with magnets. No big deal, but it's nowhere near as convenient as just moving the collector cup up or down. And of course, the other negative is that it's not a big sump skimmer, so it just doesn't have the same capacity. But it pulls lots of nasty crap out of the tank so I think it's doing the job.

• Like 1

Yes, I've been happy with it and I'd do it again. Good skimming and no bubbles, plus it's quiet.

The only negative is that you have to physically move it up and down to adjust the depth - it attaches to the side of the tank or inner divider with magnets. No big deal, but it's nowhere near as convenient as just moving the collector cup up or down. And of course, the other negative is that it's not a big sump skimmer, so it just doesn't have the same capacity. But it pulls lots of nasty crap out of the tank so I think it's doing the job.

Hmmmm, do the magnets hold it in place while you remove / reinsert the cup?

Lol, I carried in a small 10 gallon I use for quarantine and put it on a shelf. She said nothing, but I found it outside on the back porch when I returned from work. Apparently I can't be "Jackie Two Tanks" like I wanted.

:^ (

And really, I just want something super simple. Works been too crazy lately and all of the kid stuff and life in general........I wish I was old and semi retired like you, lawndart and yoga queen.

Oh ya. ....right.

SOB, I should definitely downsize.

Thanks for putting it in perspective, grandpa.

Semi retired I wish..........work is nuts right now and it sucks........I am ready for a little down time.

• Like 2

What the bleep is your dip process???

Nothing major.....everything else has made it no problem.

These weren't the healthiest looking corals to start with.

Revive followed by peroxide bath.

I can see its mouth....and some orange flesh.......maybe it's just SUPER retracted. ......but, not holding my breath.

Maybe it's better now, but I had that skimmer in my biocube and hated the thing. The collection cup is small, the skimmer would pop off the magnets any time I took the cup off or put it back on and adjusting up and down was a bitch. Just my two cents. Oh and did I say I hated that skimmer?!? No?? I hated it.

I think you'll miss the sump for the equipment aspect. What about getting one of the IM black tanks and drilling it?

Nothing major.....everything else has made it no problem.

These weren't the healthiest looking corals to start with.

Revive followed by peroxide bath.

I can see its mouth....and some orange flesh.......maybe it's just SUPER retracted. ......but, not holding my breath.

:(
  • Like 2

DAMN DUDE! I hope it makes a comeback.

Thanks, me too! It WAS pretty :^ )

Maybe it's better now, but I had that skimmer in my biocube and hated the thing. The collection cup is small, the skimmer would pop off the magnets any time I took the cup off or put it back on and adjusting up and down was a bitch. Just my two cents. Oh and did I say I hated that skimmer?!? No?? I hated it.

I think you'll miss the sump for the equipment aspect. What about getting one of the IM black tanks and drilling it? :(

Didn't you sell that $3k setup to that Pie-hole kid?

• Like 1

Thanks, me too! It WAS pretty :^ )

Didn't you sell that $3k setup to that Pie-hole kid?

Lol yes. If I had known you wanted to go back to your roots, I woulda saved it for ya!

• Like 1

Drilled IM black 20 is my current top secret adventure .

Let's keep that between us tho :ninja:

Well......you would have been safe......but stella has a big mouth.

:^ 0

• Like 3

Never had an issue with my 9004 magnets not holding the thing in place. The collection cup just drops into place, there are no o rings or anything like a cone skimmer so its not a tight fit at all. The only issue I had with mine is that the clips that hold the magnets to the body are crappy. One of the clips on each of my magnets snapped off while doing my first ever clean of the skimmer. I had to epoxy the magnets in place after that. I found it very sensitive to changing water levels though and if the pump got slightly dirty it lost a lot of performance. I got the 9004 as it fit my budget and the space that I had but I'd look at a hang on the side cone skimmer or something instead, there are some good little nano units around now.

• Like 1

Looked at the new blast of this morning.

####ing weird.....and I'm not crazy.

The coral skeleton is missing a huge chunk. The previous morning a small chunk was missing, the second morning (today) the missing chunk is like 25% of the coral skeleton....wtf?

• Like 1
JavaJacketOC

####### weird.....and I'm not crazy.

The coral skeleton is missing a huge chunk. The previous morning a small chunk was missing, the second morning (today) the missing chunk is like 25% of the coral skeleton....wtf?

I don't understand this non-picture language.

• Like 4

####### weird.....and I'm not crazy.

Did you crack it off the plug? Maybe the skeleton cracked and pieces are breaking off from flow?

• Like 2