Pod Your Reef

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Mirya beat me too it. Rhinos are gorgeous and super cool, but they're in the scorpaenidae family (aka scorpionfish). That's the family of fish that includes both genera of lionfish as well as the leafish and a bunch of the other venomous predator fish. While the colors are perfect for Gena's tank, a rhino would eat all her tiny fish. One of my LFS has a tank of them, and while they're beautiful and very cool, they're also a bit boring after a while. They really just sit still all the time until food goes right in front of their face. The lionfish are quite a bit more active than rhinos.

OMG lol ok maybe not get that fish then! Hahaha my bad yikes!

• Like 1

I just sent a payment for a beautiful SMIZ custom lid :wub:. Not sure how long it takes but I will welcome that lid when it gets here. I can admit I didn't do a great job making the one I have :lol:. This will be so nice. It will even have a feeding door. And after spending that kind of money...there will definitely be no upgrading here :lol:. This tank size and lid....I'm stuck with them forever :happy:.

And some photos for the new page :)

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%201.32.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%201.31.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%201.32.0

Do I win for having the most candy canes????? :)

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%201.31.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%201.31.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%201.32.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%201.30.3

• Like 11

Baby #2 is here :happydance:. Was born during the night. I made sure to check first thing today!!!!!

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-17%20at%207.45.4

This one is darker like the mother. This whole thing is just amazing to me :wub:. Took awhile to get to this point...about 3 years. But here we are and I'm more hooked than ever LOL.

The two siblings together.....

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-17%20at%207.45.0

The first born is on the left. That one looks like the father. The one born today is on the right and that one is dark like the mother. Just fascinating!!!!!

I will give periodic updates on these two. I won't be handling them for a couple of weeks because it's too stressful for them. But more pics when that time-frame is up :).

OMG I want geckos now. God help me.

I've heard of those! Thanks for the reminder :). Hopefully when the time comes I will remember it!

I did....she gives plenty of opportunities. Here she was again yesterday :lol:......

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-18%20at%203.42.4

Hope everyone has a great weekend :happydance:

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-18%20at%203.38.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-18%20at%203.41.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-18%20at%203.39.2

beautiful :wub:

• Like 2

Everything looks so happy. Your tank has really hit its stride and seems to be doing so well! Very pretty. Congratulations on springing for the lid. It was a good investment. I was so tempted to buy a green sinularia I saw this weekend while shopping. I thought of you! They also had a fox coral but yours is quite pink and theirs was beigey.

• Like 1

Ugh! Seriously when I'm stressed or anxious (which is most of the time), I just need to look at your photos of your beautiful reef. Instantly it makes me feel tranquil, calm, and happy. It really is amazing, thank you for keeping us all updated on it. Just beautiful :wub::wub::wub::wub:

• Like 1

Gena ever been to Dimples karaoke bar :lol:? I was watching bar rescue this weekend and thought of you. They did a revisit and said they had to vacate because the building was being torn down to build apartments.

• Like 2

OMG I want geckos now. God help me.

beautiful :wub:

I spend more money on crested geckos than my reef :o. They are so adorable though. Their sticky little feet and sweet nature..what's not to love? And the many beautiful patterns!!!!

My beautiful new big girl arrived today. She's amazing. Her colors aren't fired up here but she is a peachy orange and cream with dalmation spots.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-23%20at%2012.23.

And she will be paired with this ink spot dalmation. I need to get a better photo of him. I was trying to capture his smile but instead he looks kinda sinister :lol:.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-22%20at%209.26.5

Why upgrade when your tank is a work of art! Its a manageable size to maintenance and you have some amazing coral and animals. How can you improve on that?

I would never upgrade. I'm done...this is it. It's a perfect size for me and perfect maintenance level. Like I told my brother...I'm too old for this _ _ _ _ (fill in the blanks LOL). And thank you so much Dawn :flower:.

that fox coral! holy moly! And the turquoise trumpets! Do you give those things steroids?

LOLOL...I'm beginning to wonder :).

Everything looks so happy. Your tank has really hit its stride and seems to be doing so well! Very pretty. Congratulations on springing for the lid. It was a good investment. I was so tempted to buy a green sinularia I saw this weekend while shopping. I thought of you! They also had a fox coral but yours is quite pink and theirs was beigey.

Thank you so much!!!! I'm really looking forward to having something decent looking and secure to keep my fish in. I think it will be well worth it, like you said :). I believe the fox corals come in tan, pink, and green. They grow fast so keep that in mind. Well, mine does anyways. Seems like I remember someone saying they are slow growers. Well, not for me LOL.

The gorgs are nice & frilly, everything's spreading it's wings in your tank and looking happy. Very happy tank.

Thanks, Annette :flower:.

Ugh! Seriously when I'm stressed or anxious (which is most of the time), I just need to look at your photos of your beautiful reef. Instantly it makes me feel tranquil, calm, and happy. It really is amazing, thank you for keeping us all updated on it. Just beautiful

Awwww...thank you :happy:. I'm glad my tank is able to help you out!!!! All aquariums have that effect on me. I was getting an oil change yesterday and in the waiting room they had a big freshwater tank with angelfish, and all the usual occupants. It was so soothing and relaxing.

Gena ever been to Dimples karaoke bar :lol:? I was watching bar rescue this weekend and thought of you. They did a revisit and said they had to vacate because the building was being torn down to build apartments.

I've never been inside. Driven by lots of times though. Those luxury apartment building they are putting in will have a Whole Foods on the ground floor. I'm excited about that! I don't do all of my grocery shopping there..way too expensive. But there are a few things I like to buy from them and it will nice to have a store in my town.

• Like 7

Gena, I'm beginning to think you have a gecko hoarding issue :lol: The graduate student who sits at the desk next to mine in our office space is totally a small animal hoarder. The other graduate students had to have an intervention for her and tell her she couldn't get a Tegu or anymore lizards. :lol:

Kidding aside though, very cute new gecko. I'm not really a reptile person myself, but I can appreciate how cool they are. Granted having a big elaborate vivarium would be pretty awesome...that's probably just because its similar enough to planted freshwater tank :lol:

• Like 2

I think it's awesome that this is something your son enjoys, even more so than the reefing, so you get to learn together. You'll always have fond memories of your first babies.

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful tank :)

Thank you :).

Gena, I'm beginning to think you have a gecko hoarding issue :lol: The graduate student who sits at the desk next to mine in our office space is totally a small animal hoarder. The other graduate students had to have an intervention for her and tell her she couldn't get a Tegu or anymore lizards. :lol:

Kidding aside though, very cute new gecko. I'm not really a reptile person myself, but I can appreciate how cool they are. Granted having a big elaborate vivarium would be pretty awesome...that's probably just because its similar enough to planted freshwater tank :lol:

I have 19 :blush:. The fun thing is now I don't have to buy them...We are producing them :happydance:. Which is more exciting! I found baby sheds in their cages yesterday. They are growing!!!! I love watching them at night. Jumping around and exploring.

I was never a fan of reptiles either. Somehow these little cresties hooked me LOL. I was at the store this week and there was a couple in there holding a huge bearded dragon. Petting it and saying how cute it was. And I was thinking...are you crazy???? :lol:

Crested geckos are just cute to me. And I'm sure there are people out there that think I'm crazy for thinking that too :lol:.

I think it's awesome that this is something your son enjoys, even more so than the reefing, so you get to learn together. You'll always have fond memories of your first babies.

Yeah, he could care less about the saltwater tank. Although I was sitting and staring at it one day and he came up and started looking too and said how awesome it is and told me I did a good job creating a neat system like that. It was so nice!

I love that Fox Coral. Such an underappreciated coral.

Agreed :).
  • Like 4

Cresties are adorable! I'll give you that. The issue is that I want to snuggle cute things and I don't think that'd be too pleasant with a lizard. I'm partial to ridiculously fluffy things (hence Lily). My best friend has always teased me about being so partial to super fluffy dogs and cats. Fish however get a pass because they can't be cuddled. They're just for being pretty and relaxing to watch :)

• Like 3

Omgoodness gena that dalmation morph :wub:

I know!!!! She's stunning!!!! Check this gorgeous girl out.....

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%209.12.5

My new ink spot (still have to name him :))is at her house right now. We're going to split the fertilized eggs she produces from our pairing :happydance:.

• Like 9

I know!!!! She's stunning!!!! Check this gorgeous girl out.....

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%209.12.5

My new ink spot (still have to name him :))is at her house right now. We're going to split the fertilized eggs she produces from our pairing :happydance:.

Pongo!

Yea I can't wait to see what comes of thst pairing :)

• Like 2

Cresties are adorable! I'll give you that. The issue is that I want to snuggle cute things and I don't think that'd be too pleasant with a lizard. I'm partial to ridiculously fluffy things (hence Lily). My best friend has always teased me about being so partial to super fluffy dogs and cats. Fish however get a pass because they can't be cuddled. They're just for being pretty and relaxing to watch :)

Yeah, they aren't snuggly. And they can poop on you when you least expect it LOL. But I still love them :).

Woah! That's a cool looking pattern!

That is my FAVORITE pattern! That light base with the black ink spots!!!! But they are sooo expensive. This is my way to get one without paying $800 LOL.

Pongo!

Yea I can't wait to see what comes of thst pairing :)

They are both virgins so hopefully it works out the first time LOL.

• Like 5

Yeah, they aren't snuggly. And they can poop on you when you least expect it LOL. But I still love them :).

That is my FAVORITE pattern! That light base with the black ink spots!!!! But they are sooo expensive. This is my way to get one without paying $800 LOL.

They are both virgins so hopefully it works out the first time LOL.

:lol:
  • Like 1

I lol'd at this.

It's true though LOL. I got a good report on them last night. Things are moving along as they should LOL. I'll get him back on Monday.

I always feel guilty for getting off-topic so to make up for it I grabbed a bunch of photos yesterday :).

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%204.08.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%204.11.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%204.08.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%204.11.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%204.12.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%204.10.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-25%20at%204.09.4

• Like 11