SaltCritters.com

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Have I mentioned how much I love those pink trumpets?? Haha. What's the more common name so I can start looking for some.

My dearest Mirya already answered :flower:. But so you know, I picked those up on eBay. I just checked and I don't see the exact seller I bought from. These look like they have the white stripes but the color is correct!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Candy-Cane-Coral-/121732014206?hash=item1c57cb207e

Today feels like fall too... I didn't need the a/c on in my room last night, just a window fan on low. Wishing I'd brought a warmer jacket for the train tide to work, too!

I've had the windows open all day today...so far :happydance:. Definitely fall in the air..even out here!

Caulastrea is the scientific name. Candy cane or Trumpet coral the common names.

Gena has the neon green/kryptonite, the turquoise/teal, and the red with the neon green center varieties. There are also red with turquoise centers. Either of the red varieties can also have white stripes on the red part.

:wub:

NP. I'm not aware of a special name for the red ones... unless it is a red one with stripes. Those are referred to as Pinwheel. Here is a picture of my Pinwheel under fluorescence photography. Under regular lighting the stripes are all white:

Tidal Gardens has a variety of Candy Canes for sale, including green centered ones.

I wonder if there is much difference between his Teal and his Cobalt!

edit...just noticed we're at a new page LOL. Pictures to come :).

• Like 3
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I've had the windows open all day today...so far :happydance:. Definitely fall in the air..even out here!

Maybe for you it's so hot out for me right now!

ooo...that ebay item is actually pretty good priced assuming it's a frag with 15 heads if i read the description correctly.

11 heads! Only thing is that it is priority shipping with no live arrival guarantee

• Like 1

ooo...that ebay item is actually pretty good priced assuming it's a frag with 15 heads if i read the description correctly.

Looks like if you buy quantity 2 you will get 22 heads (the whole colony). That would be $64.44. If you buy quantity 1, you get 11 heads for $32.22.
  • Like 1

I wonder if there is much difference between his Teal and his Cobalt!

:flower:

I kinda wonder that too. Tidal Gardens is a greenhouse up in Akron. It's really hard to tell what color some of his corals will be in your tank -- particularly in the summer -- because a lot of them fade under the sun. I might be making a trip up in a few weeks though so I will have to ask Than if he can point out the varieties for me to see in person.

• Like 1

I don't know about you but I like having the white background on the tanks, doesn't let me get lazy. I get out a toothbrush and do some cleaning in spots on Gertie's tank as soon as I see it after a couple days. I'm just enjoying the crisp look too.

• Like 1

:flower:

I kinda wonder that too. Tidal Gardens is a greenhouse up in Akron. It's really hard to tell what color some of his corals will be in your tank -- particularly in the summer -- because a lot of them fade under the sun. I might be making a trip up in a few weeks though so I will have to ask Than if he can point out the varieties for me to see in person.

Nice! In the photos they look very similar so I look forward to hearing what you find out :).

I don't know about you but I like having the white background on the tanks, doesn't let me get lazy. I get out a toothbrush and do some cleaning in spots on Gertie's tank as soon as I see it after a couple days. I'm just enjoying the crisp look too.

Yep, I do like it for that reason. It also lets me see better if I'm overfeeding. When I have too much brown on the back wall, I know I need to cut back a bit :).

New photos for this page :).

Blastos :wub:. The top pink ones came from Zia and the bottom merletti is the one I got from Reef gardener.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%202.27.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%202.28.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%202.51.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%202.30.3

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-20%20at%202.51.3

• Like 12

A little Friday Fun here :).

My neighbor and I trade magazines. She gets People and I get US Weekly. I took some magazines over to her and we chatted a bit. When I got back I found this LOL

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-21%20at%203.42.2

Which after a couple of hours became this:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-21%20at%204.54.0

Then this happened :wub::

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-21%20at%204.52.5

Happy Weekend :happydance:.

• Like 8

A little Friday Fun here :).

My neighbor and I trade magazines. She gets People and I get US Weekly. I took some magazines over to her and we chatted a bit. When I got back I found this LOL

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-21%20at%203.42.2

Passed out. SO HARD! As only cats can. :)

• Like 1

I love seeing your little crab in your tank pictures. He is always peeking out from somewhere. Kitties look so sweet and relaxed. Happy animals.

• Like 1

Aw! The kitties are so cute! Makes me wish Lily had a kitty friend to be all lovey and snuggly with. They are so big now, but still so cute!

You're getting so great at the fish photos! Love the newest photos of all the corals looking extra fluffy and healthy. Looks like the fox coral is doing great for you. Are you still liking it? My favorite photo of the latest set is the one with the fox coral with the crab just hanging out.

• Like 2

Aw! The kitties are so cute! Makes me wish Lily had a kitty friend to be all lovey and snuggly with. They are so big now, but still so cute!

You're getting so great at the fish photos! Love the newest photos of all the corals looking extra fluffy and healthy. Looks like the fox coral is doing great for you. Are you still liking it? My favorite photo of the latest set is the one with the fox coral with the crab just hanging out.

Thank you :flower:.

Oh yeah...still love the Fox Coral :).

• Like 1

I love it Gena! I wish I had a 20L myself. Easier to reach in! The cube takes my whole arm and then some.

The 20L is great! Perfect for me actually. Not too deep, a breeze to maintain. I've always loved them and finally have one :).

Your tank is gorgeous though so it makes the work worth it :).

How's this for cute? I saw this over the weekend and had to grab the camera. Luckily they didn't move LOL. Usually by the time I grab the camera someone ends up moving and ruining the whole point of getting the shot :). I would say cats are king in my house :lol:.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-22%20at%203.14.5

• Like 10

It cracks me up...kittens are definitely in charge around here :lol:.

I had to take Nicky and Nora to the vet today for their last shots. They are good for a year and then every 3 years. My kids are growing up :).

• Like 3

Water change was yesterday so new photos today. I always see bubble algae I missed the next day when I'm taking my photos grrrr. At least the BA isn't out of control so far fingerscrossed. After I filled my bucket with RODI water I tested it and it was TDS 13. I still did the water change with it...didn't want to waste all that water. I'll deal with the consequences later, if there are any. At any rate, new filters were added last night and I'm back to TDS 0 for next week :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%201.35.4

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%201.38.5

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%201.38.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%201.37.4

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%201.39.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%201.39.0

Think these two could be any closer? :wub:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-27%20at%201.40.1

Forgot to mention, I had to throw out my pink hippos yesterday :tears:. They got some sort of infection. After I moved them because they were shading the magicians, they just went downhill. Yesterday they were almost all melted, but what was left STUNK! So I tossed them. Guess I might try to get another frag at some point.

• Like 13