Cultivated Reef

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Woah! I'm behind again. Tank is looking really lovely, Gena. You just have such a knack for small tanks. I loved the 45 gallon, but this tank looks more like the signature Gena look!

You have sooo many geckos! Quite the addiction I see! Very cute little things :) So for the ones that are juvenile, how long does it take them to mature to breeding age? Also, what do the kittens think of the geckos?

The kittens are getting so big! Still so cute though. I love all the photos of them playing and being so adorable!

Felicia!!!! :happydance: I've been missing you lately :). Glad to see you around!!!!!

So they get to breeding age around 2 years. It's a LONG time to wait. That's why I've been on the hunt for an already breeding age gecko. It's just that they cost sooo much more. I can buy a baby/juvenile for $80-$150 but the adult breeder is going to be $300-$600 for a quality gecko! Crazy prices, I know!

Oh my gosh..the kittens drive me nuts with the geckos LOL. They are VERY interested in them. They want to EAT them, if you ask me LOL. I have to lock them out of the room anytime I'm opening cages, etc. One day I will definitely need a gecko room that is kitty restricted. Kinda hard right now since they are in my son's room.

The kittens are growing soooo much now. Nicky gained 2 oz. in 2 days LOL. Here they are today...never a missed opportunity when I've gone grocery shopping. They love the bags LOL. Nicky was all the way IN the bag when I found them.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-12%20at%208.05.5

I kinda blinded them with the flash :).

Got my water change done today. Managed to get my son to go school clothes shopping today..what a chore since he hates shopping LOL. Got him 5 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of shorts, and 6 shirts. Just need to get him some new shoes. I swear, that kid is spoiled compared to what I had as a kid. I did buy myself a shirt today too :).

I'll have fishy photos tomorrow, hopefullly :happy:.

• Like 9

Felicia!!!! :happydance: I've been missing you lately :). Glad to see you around!!!!!So they get to breeding age around 2 years. It's a LONG time to wait. That's why I've been on the hunt for an already breeding age gecko. It's just that they cost sooo much more. I can buy a baby/juvenile for $80-$150 but the adult breeder is going to be $300-$600 for a quality gecko! Crazy prices, I know!Oh my gosh..the kittens drive me nuts with the geckos LOL. They are VERY interested in them. They want to EAT them, if you ask me LOL. I have to lock them out of the room anytime I'm opening cages, etc. One day I will definitely need a gecko room that is kitty restricted. Kinda hard right now since they are in my son's room.The kittens are growing soooo much now. Nicky gained 2 oz. in 2 days LOL. Here they are today...never a missed opportunity when I've gone grocery shopping. They love the bags LOL. Nicky was all the way IN the bag when I found them.Screen%20Shot%202015-08-12%20at%206.03.3I kinda blinded them with the flash :).Got my water change done today. Managed to get my son to go school clothes shopping today..what a chore since he hates shopping LOL. Got him 5 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of shorts, and 6 shirts. Just need to get him some new shoes. I swear, that kid is spoiled compared to what I had as a kid. I did buy myself a shirt today too :).I'll have fishy photos tomorrow, hopefullly :happy:.

I really wish I woulda known I would've charged ya next to nothing for mine gena :(

• Like 1

I really wish I woulda known I would've charged ya next to nothing for mine gena :(

Awww...thanks :). It's the thought that counts :flower:. I would have loved them so much!

That's a lot of kitty weight in in a short period of time! I thought they looked noticeably grown up too.

Yeah, I was kinda shocked! They eat a ton though so I'm not surprised :).

Yeah I have been completely swamped with school again. My advisor and I have agreed that I am graduating next May, so I have a ton to do before then! I'm trying to gather and process a ton of data to write a publication right now. I want to have that done by the end of September. Also, my fellowships lasted 5 years and this is my 6th year, so I'm having to teach in order to get paid this year. Starting in a week, I'm going to be the teaching assistant for 2 classes, which means tons of grading and office hours and such. Lots of extra work on top of my research! Whew! But I'm almost done, which is so exciting! I think I'll have to change my NR name to "Dr. Felicia" when I graduate :lol:

That is a lot longer than I expected for them to reach maturity! I mean a cat is mature in like 9 months and they're so much bigger than geckos! Now I understand why you're trying to find adults. Those prices are just crazy though! I had no idea! Just another addicting and expensive hobby! :lol: Seems to be our thing. I dropped $235 + tax on a new MP10 today :wacko:

I was wondering if the cats would have the instinct to eat them. I had two outdoor cats growing up in Florida and they would both hunt and eat the lizards all the time! One of my cats was so fat and we'd put her on a diet, but she never lost weight because she'd just go eat a bunch of lizards. It was so gross! A kitty-proof gecko room definitely sounds like a must at some point!

Aw! Cats and bags are so cute! Lily loves the reusble shopping bags, but she can only play in them under direct supervision. She gets to excited and rolls all around in the bag and somehow ends up with the handle wrapped all around her neck. One day she got stuck and I was it the kitchen putting groceries away and she comes up to me whining pathetically and I look around and shes trailing a bag that is wrapped like 3 times around her neck. Now I watch her like a hawk.

• Like 3

Yeah I have been completely swamped with school again. My advisor and I have agreed that I am graduating next May, so I have a ton to do before then! I'm trying to gather and process a ton of data to write a publication right now. I want to have that done by the end of September. Also, my fellowships lasted 5 years and this is my 6th year, so I'm having to teach in order to get paid this year. Starting in a week, I'm going to be the teaching assistant for 2 classes, which means tons of grading and office hours and such. Lots of extra work on top of my research! Whew! But I'm almost done, which is so exciting! I think I'll have to change my NR name to "Dr. Felicia" when I graduate :lol:

That is a lot longer than I expected for them to reach maturity! I mean a cat is mature in like 9 months and they're so much bigger than geckos! Now I understand why you're trying to find adults. Those prices are just crazy though! I had no idea! Just another addicting and expensive hobby! :lol: Seems to be our thing. I dropped $235 + tax on a new MP10 today :wacko:

I was wondering if the cats would have the instinct to eat them. I had two outdoor cats growing up in Florida and they would both hunt and eat the lizards all the time! One of my cats was so fat and we'd put her on a diet, but she never lost weight because she'd just go eat a bunch of lizards. It was so gross! A kitty-proof gecko room definitely sounds like a must at some point!

Aw! Cats and bags are so cute! Lily loves the reusble shopping bags, but she can only play in them under direct supervision. She gets to excited and rolls all around in the bag and somehow ends up with the handle wrapped all around her neck. One day she got stuck and I was it the kitchen putting groceries away and she comes up to me whining pathetically and I look around and shes trailing a bag that is wrapped like 3 times around her neck. Now I watch her like a hawk.

What kind of research do you do, Felicia? I are a microbiologist?

Teaching those filthy heathen undergrads? <shudder>

• Like 1

Cute shot of the kitties in the shopping bags. Many of the cats we have had over the years loved them too.

I know you wont be shocked by this but I have been reading up on crested gecko care. blush...anyways...some care sheets say a heat source and some say no. Some say a long tank with a warm side and cool side? Most say a tall enclosure as they never hardly use the ground space. We have a leopard gecko and the care is way different. I didnt see a heat source on your enclosures except for maybe the lighted ones?

Great to get your son out shopping. My older boys are the same. They hate to try on clothes. My daughters on the other hand...all about it. I hate to shop unless it is for something I need. I am a hermit by nature. I have had the same wardrobe for years...

• Like 1

What kind of research do you do, Felicia? I are a microbiologist?

Teaching those filthy heathen undergrads? <shudder>

I'm in bio materials so I do a bunch of materials engineering (specifically polymers) with an bunch of bioengineering and cell biology.

And yes, I am such a curmudgeon-y grad student who complains about the pita undergrads haha! Teaching two classes at the same time is going to be rough!

• Like 3

I have to say it. I'm so proud of you!!!!! You are an accomplished woman for sure :). Just come to NR in between all of that work, if you can..it's a great stress reliever :).

A safe room for the geckos is a must in the future. It's such a pain to try to do anything with the kittens in the room. They are very drawn to anything we are doing, but when it involves the geckos they get a crazy look in their eyes LOL. So far so good with the tank. If I'm working around it they get interested. And then when I leave they are still interested so I take them with me to distract them from the tank. Works every time. I actually prefer that they have no interest in the tank and I'm definitely not going to encourage it. Even if it makes a cute photo LOL. Now if I happen to come across them looking, I'll have to snap a photo before removing them from the area :).

Thanks for the heads up on the shopping bags! I'll be sure to always keep an eye on them when they are playing in/on them.

I actually have a juvenile cresty that really deserves more love than I give him.

Cool! Do you have a photo? What color/pattern?

Cute shot of the kitties in the shopping bags. Many of the cats we have had over the years loved them too.

I know you wont be shocked by this but I have been reading up on crested gecko care. blush...anyways...some care sheets say a heat source and some say no. Some say a long tank with a warm side and cool side? Most say a tall enclosure as they never hardly use the ground space. We have a leopard gecko and the care is way different. I didnt see a heat source on your enclosures except for maybe the lighted ones?

Great to get your son out shopping. My older boys are the same. They hate to try on clothes. My daughters on the other hand...all about it. I hate to shop unless it is for something I need. I am a hermit by nature. I have had the same wardrobe for years...

That's awesome! I hope you decide that crested geckos are for you :). I would go with the tall enclosure when they are adults. They love to hang on the sides and they need that length for their full body (including the tail). I don't have any heat source on mine. Just room temperature is enough for them. In the winter I turn the lights on and that does provide some heat. The coldest it gets at my house is like 67 and that's at night in the winter. I hate cold LOL.

I hate shopping for myself at the store...but love it online! I bought my shirt online yesterday :). I just loved the back with the lace. I like the combination of casual terry blue stripe with the feminine lace back.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%208.23.1

I do love clothes! I blame my mom for that. That was one of our favorite things to do together...shopping! My paypal account was empty so I got to work on some ebay listings and funded this top within a day LOL. It will be nice to get back to work next week when my son is back in school. I like having some play money available.

Ok....gonna try to get some tank photos sometime today!

• Like 2

For sure some day! Most likely not until we move though and I have a better setup :).

No doubt, one pump will run 10 nozzles so you might not have to break the bank to bad,I'm only gonna run one in action jacksons tank

• Like 1

Very nice top! I do alot of shopping online as well. It is very hard to get out with so many speical needs children.

I am acutally thinking of getting the crested for my son. He is 20 but has the mind of a four year old. He is wheel chair bound and can only move one hand a little. Enough to work an ipad with his knuckle. He has CP and recently went in to get his botox shots to help relax his tone and they gave him the maximum dose for his size. They never did this before. He is now unable to move at all! Cant even talk. And usually he is a talker. Keeps me company all day long chatting away.

They said it will be three to six months for the botox to wear off and him to be back to his normal self again. Praise God for his feeding tube as he can not eat anymore either. Anyways, he loves reptiles and is the one who has the stickpot turtles and leopard gecko in my home. I care for all his animals and am always looking for something more he could have and is not to hard for me to care for, for him. As he sits and watches his animals for long stretches of time every day. I really think I could care for a crested gecko for him and even though he seems vegitative right now, I know he is in there and it would cheer him up to have something to take his mind off how he feels and how trapped he is in his own body right now. Bless his heart.

• Like 1

No doubt, one pump will run 10 nozzles so you might not have to break the bank to bad,I'm only gonna run one in action jacksons tank

Yep, someday I'll have a pimped out crested gecko room :).

Very nice top! I do alot of shopping online as well. It is very hard to get out with so many speical needs children.

I am acutally thinking of getting the crested for my son. He is 20 but has the mind of a four year old. He is wheel chair bound and can only move one hand a little. Enough to work an ipad with his knuckle. He has CP and recently went in to get his botox shots to help relax his tone and they gave him the maximum dose for his size. They never did this before. He is now unable to move at all! Cant even talk. And usually he is a talker. Keeps me company all day long chatting away.

They said it will be three to six months for the botox to wear off and him to be back to his normal self again. Praise God for his feeding tube as he can not eat anymore either. Anyways, he loves reptiles and is the one who has the stickpot turtles and leopard gecko in my home. I care for all his animals and am always looking for something more he could have and is not to hard for me to care for, for him. As he sits and watches his animals for long stretches of time every day. I really think I could care for a crested gecko for him and even though he seems vegitative right now, I know he is in there and it would cheer him up to have something to take his mind off how he feels and how trapped he is in his own body right now. Bless his heart.

Awww...poor guy! He's sooo lucky to have you :happy:. I hope that botox wears off soon! I think a crested gecko would be ideal for him and for you. They are so easy to care for.

• Like 3

Yep, someday I'll have a pimped out crested gecko room :).

Awww...poor guy! He's sooo lucky to have you :happy:. I hope that botox wears off soon! I think a crested gecko would be ideal for him and for you. They are so easy to care for.

You have a pimped out room now I don't give the title crested princess to just anyone mam
  • Like 3

You have a pimped out room now I don't give the title crested princess to just anyone mam

:flower:

My future gecko room will be the bomb though LOL. I can already picture it :).

• Like 2

I'll be around, I promise! It will just be sporadic. This tank is finally back to being so relaxing and enjoyable for me, so I have to take a break once in a while and take photos :) I am just loving sharing my tank right now. I feel like we're both in our low maintenance happy places with our tanks :)

Kittens are so funny! They have to be involved in everything! Glad they mostly leave the tank alone. Lily is 5 and still wants to be involved in whatever I'm doing, but otherwise she completely ignores my tank. I think the aquariums get old after a while. I have had aquariums for Lily's whole life, so they're passe for her now :lol:

I LOVE that top, Gena! I am so with you on online shopping. I tend to get tired and frustrated fighting crowds and not finding what I want when I go to actual stores. I love being able to just leisurely peruse online until I find just the right thing!

• Like 2

:flower:

My future gecko room will be the bomb though LOL. I can already picture it :).

Did I mention that we have a whole family of what appear to be albino leopard geckos living/breeding in our back yard? Assume they were escapees from the previous folks who owned/rented the house, and seem to be doing well in Austin even in winter!

I'm in bio materials so I do a bunch of materials engineering (specifically polymers) with an bunch of bioengineering and cell biology.

And yes, I am such a curmudgeon-y grad student who complains about the pita undergrads haha! Teaching two classes at the same time is going to be rough!

This is unbelievably cool work....you guys are going to change the world in a fundamental way.

My job is to save it from infectious disease.

• Like 3

Did I mention that we have a whole family of what appear to be albino leopard geckos living/breeding in our back yard? Assume they were escapees from the previous folks who owned/rented the house, and seem to be doing well in Austin even in winter!

There is a guy on one of the dart frog boards I read from Austin. He is always posting pictures of the cool lizards in his yard. My favorite is the whiptails.

• Like 1

I'll be around, I promise! It will just be sporadic. This tank is finally back to being so relaxing and enjoyable for me, so I have to take a break once in a while and take photos :) I am just loving sharing my tank right now. I feel like we're both in our low maintenance happy places with our tanks :)

Kittens are so funny! They have to be involved in everything! Glad they mostly leave the tank alone. Lily is 5 and still wants to be involved in whatever I'm doing, but otherwise she completely ignores my tank. I think the aquariums get old after a while. I have had aquariums for Lily's whole life, so they're passe for her now :lol:

I LOVE that top, Gena! I am so with you on online shopping. I tend to get tired and frustrated fighting crowds and not finding what I want when I go to actual stores. I love being able to just leisurely peruse online until I find just the right thing!

Sounds like we are both in our tank happy place now :).

Speaking of bags. Had these shopping bags hanging on the chair to take out to the car next time I was going out there. Walked in the door from watering and found this LOL

Nora in the shopping bag. Nicky on the chair:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%201.11.3

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%201.11.1

This is unbelievably cool work....you guys are going to change the world in a fundamental way.

That is so cool! Have you seen any tarantulas yet? My brother found one in a park and brought it home and kept it as a pet for awhile :scarry:.

Tank photos :happydance:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%2011.52.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%201.18.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%2011.53.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%201.21.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%2011.54.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-13%20at%201.16.1

I need to move my pink hippos up off the sand. They are hating life down there right now. I'm going to move them to the rocks, just have to figure out where. I should probably go do that now :). Everything else is doing well. My leathers are really taking off!

• Like 8

As I'm sure you know, research always sounds way cooler than it is in reality! :lol: Saving us from infectious diseases is very important!

Wow! You really got some crisp, in focus photos of the fish in this latest photo set. That always impresses me! I love the shot of the firefish and the one of the clown. Beautiful fish! They look so perfect in this tank.

Your leathers are really doing well! I love the softie look in this tank. Everything is so puffy! :)

Those are the cutest kitten photos so far! What silly kittens! Could they get out of the bag on their own, or did you have to rescue them?

• Like 1

Wow! You really got some crisp, in focus photos of the fish in this latest photo set. That always impresses me! I love the shot of the firefish and the one of the clown. Beautiful fish! They look so perfect in this tank.

Your leathers are really doing well! I love the softie look in this tank. Everything is so puffy! :)

Those are the cutest kitten photos so far! What silly kittens! Could they get out of the bag on their own, or did you have to rescue them?

Thank you Felicia!

Well......they knocked the chair over :lol:. They were ok though :).

• Like 3