Cultivated Reef

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

still loving that top right (well, center back, i guess) clam!!

Me too- Lucinda :wub:

I do love the pattern of the Crocea clam! Im looking up light blue ones though and they're exquisite

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

Me too- Lucinda :wub:

I do love the pattern of the Crocea clam! Im looking up light blue ones though and they're exquisite

every time i get a notification on this thread i'm secretly praying you went back to the cheap clam dude and took pictures of little ones so i can claim them as my own!! BWAHAHA

HarryPotter

every time i get a notification on this thread i'm secretly praying you went back to the cheap clam dude and took pictures of little ones so i can claim them as my own!! BWAHAHA

Gaaaaa HES NOT BACK YET! IM SORRY! :lol:

thecoralbeauty

Gaaaaa HES NOT BACK YET! IM SORRY! :lol:

yea, it's actually probably good for me. i need to learn to exercise control over my clam kleptomania. i'd have like 500 of them if they weren't at least $120 a clam here. smh.

oh, also, i assume you're officially out of school for the summer- so congratulations. I wish my students would go home and reef. Hopefully I've inspired a few of my 8th graders at least as they go off and become high schoolers.

HarryPotter

yea, it's actually probably good for me. i need to learn to exercise control over my clam kleptomania. i'd have like 500 of them if they weren't at least $120 a clam here. smh.

oh, also, i assume you're officially out of school for the summer- so congratulations. I wish my students would go home and reef. Hopefully I've inspired a few of my 8th graders at least as they go off and become high schoolers.

Yes! School is over as of now! Thanks!

What to do, what to do.

Go over to home depot, buy some 1/4 cheap glass and silicon and make a frag tank?

Thats a fun DIY project if I don't kill myself

Prisonfood53

Yeah that didn't go well. Spent about 35 minutes just trying to get of a BIT of the trim, and epically failed. Trim, even in that little section, is still attached.

Unlike a chunk of flesh on my finger.

Perhaps Home Depot glass? :lol:

Growl acrylic?

You should check craigslist for a 20 long that would be half of the 40. I just gave one away for free.

HarryPotter

You should check craigslist for a 20 long that would be half of the 40. I just gave one away for free.

I don't want something 30" x 12" x 12", not what I'm looking for. Something along 24x24x8, or 30x20x8

Im going to HD since its cheap glass and a fun project :)

HarryPotter

I am thinking a 18x16 frag tank, with 8 inch sides. What do you think?

1st piece would give me:

• 18x16 bottom
  • 18x8 side

Second piece would give me

• 18x8 side
  • 18x8 side
  • 18x8 side
thecoralbeauty

I don't want something 30" x 12" x 12", not what I'm looking for. Something along 24x24x8, or 30x20x8

Im going to HD since its cheap glass and a fun project :)

dont hate on my dimensions!!!

HarryPotter

dont hate on my dimensions!!!

Haha for a FRAG tank! :P

I still need to (figure out how to) cut the acrylic and order weld on.

HarryPotter

So some people say you can just "Score and Snap" the acrylic- any experience with this anyone?

I believe it is .22, great for a shallow frag tank.

I have Weld on 4 w. applicator on the way, and just need to make the cuts!

HarryPotter

Has anyone seen the Advanced Acrylics frag tanks? For under $150 and free shipping, they look pretty amazing!

Is that pricing not remarkably low? All in one frag tanks!

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-04%20at%205.20.1

Prisonfood53

So some people say you can just "Score and Snap" the acrylic- any experience with this anyone?

I believe it is .22, great for a shallow frag tank.

I have Weld on 4 w. applicator on the way, and just need to make the c

Score and snap can work for thinner material but in my limited experience and what has been told to me by people who work with this as a profession you would need an extremely straight cut that is pretty smooth if you are making a tank. If there is a tap plastics around you I would just buy the material from them cut to size and they would carry the weld solvent.

Good luck.

HarryPotter

Score and snap can work for thinner material but in my limited experience and what has been told to me by people who work with this as a profession you would need an extremely straight cut that is pretty smooth if you are making a tank. If there is a tap plastics around you I would just buy the material from them cut to size and they would carry the weld solvent.

Good luck.

It seems a bit over my head, I will probably return the acrylic tomorrow and give myself more time to think.

The Advanced Acrylics frag tanks are beautiful, can be plumbed into my display, and are CHEAP compared to most! What do you think.

lilmatty5dimes

in denver they're closer to 80-100

in denver they're closer to 80-100

Holy cow that's pretty high. I can get some clams from lfs for $30. Of course he's 30mins from Ora which I guess has it's benefits. That's for maxima clam too. Of course it's a 90min drive down to fort pierce for me but can definitely be worth it.

HarryPotter

Holy cow that's pretty high. I can get some clams from lfs for $30. Of course he's 30mins from Ora which I guess has it's benefits. That's for maxima clam too. Of course it's a 90min drive down to fort pierce for me but can definitely be worth it.

Yeah thats pretty crazy! Better off online than the LFS in that case

Hi Fellow Floridian :)

HarryPotter

Oh and the large Gold Maxima looked purple today! Weird!

Here are some amazing pictures- it opened SOOOO much and I could see inside it! Cool :)

IMG_1154_zpsfjydn9vh.jpgIMG_1153_zpsx3llolwr.jpg

lilmatty5dimes

Yeah thats pretty crazy! Better off online than the LFS in that case

Hi Fellow Floridian :)

Hello lol. I bought about $200 worth of stuff got a Ora strawberry shortcake, another Ora sps frag and I walked out with 3 clams. Lol

Clams

IMG_9491_zps36b9cdb5.jpg

Ssc frag

IMG_9492_zpsc6337753.jpg

HarryPotter

Hello lol. I bought about $200 worth of stuff got a Ora strawberry shortcake, another Ora sps frag and I walked out with 3 clams. Lol

Clams

IMG_9491_zps36b9cdb5.jpg

Ssc frag

IMG_9492_zpsc6337753.jpg

What store? I can't find ANYONE that has ORA or nice Acros!

Cencalfishguy56

I can't see the pictures :(

For $150 though I would rather the Advanced Acrylics frag tank and DIY a stand

I think frag tanks are awesome display tanks haha but I love long and shallow tanks!

lilmatty5dimes

I can't see the pictures :(

For $150 though I would rather the Advanced Acrylics frag tank and DIY a stand

offer the guy $120 sure he'll take it.

What store? I can't find ANYONE that has ORA or nice Acros!

treasure coast coral. they are in vero so its about a 90min drive for ya i think. good news is he's right off i-95. lol john there is a pretty awesome guy. he's hooked me up quite a few times. i've got a few lfs that get ora pieces in all the time. if you join reef central and keep an eye out on that board i posted (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235) you'll be able to find people selling stuff that could help ya out. or even post a WTB frag tank. its a very active board in your area.

HarryPotter

I think frag tanks are awesome display tanks haha but I love long and shallow tanks!

What do you think of the Advanced Acrylics one?

Its an AIO

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-04%20at%205.20.1

offer the guy $120 sure he'll take it.

treasure coast coral. they are in vero so its about a 90min drive for ya i think. good news is he's right off i-95. lol john there is a pretty awesome guy. he's hooked me up quite a few times.

Can you send me the picture? I can't see it on ReefCentral

Oh and treasure coast coral is two and a half hours away :(

Im VERY south lol

Archived