Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

thecoralbeauty

Technically speaking, zooxanthellae are algae, not bacteria. Bacteria do not perform photosynthesis. There's your lesson for the day, teach ;)

thanks!! Awesome, looks like i can retire.

Also- my 8th graders are off on their trip this week so I'm teaching the 7th graders math. it's no wonder I'm losing my ability to science. or speak clearly lol

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So question.....

If I want to make my first large Coral Order (All my corals have been local frags, under $15 for the most part) which would include a (Large) "Ultra" Millipora colony, Rainbow BTA, a few "Add-on" across and a few random cheap frags (Rhodactus mushrooms, zoas, etc), should I wait?

Is it too premature to make my first large order? Should I wait until my tank's ALK is settled down and I have a doser?

I don't want to be impatient, but POTO's post made me DROOOOOOL!

You might wanna wait a bit for a nem since the tank is new,and you've recently added things and had the alk swings. Just give it a bit till the tank settles lol. Go slow buddy. Tank looks great.

HarryPotter

You might wanna wait a bit for a nem since the tank is new,and you've recently added things and had the alk swings. Just give it a bit till the tank settles lol. Go slow buddy. Tank looks great.

Thanks, thats what I was thinking too. Also before I invest $200+ in coral, I should get a $100 doser (Jebao or Marine Magic) to make sure they'll all survive!!

This patience you speak of..... HOW DO I GET MORE?!?!

In other news the clowns are now eating pellets and flakes, and are attempting to host my Duncan :wub:

The Duncan has like 5 large heads, 5 medium heads, and 10 tiny heads now. All from one single head 6 months ago! I hope its not TOO irritated by the clowns lol

Thanks, thats what I was thinking too. Also before I invest $200+ in coral, I should get a $100 doser (Jebao or Marine Magic) to make sure they'll all survive!!

This patience you speak of..... HOW DO I GET MORE?!?!

In other news the clowns are now eating pellets and flakes, and are attempting to host my Duncan :wub:

The Duncan has like 5 large heads, 5 medium heads, and 10 tiny heads now. All from one single head 6 months ago! I hope its not TOO irritated by the clowns lol

Just comes with age I think. Remember a successful reef isn't measured by the number of things you put in it but by the things you can sustain and grow.

HarryPotter

In other news, I stopped procrastinating connecting my MP40w QD to ReefLink. For the past three weeks it has never connected due to an apparent defect, so I just was using 40% 24/7

I called EcoTech, which was remarkably helpful. They logged onto my account and did step-by-step troubleshooting, and led my through the disassembly and reassembly of the Vortech Controller.

It turns out the RF Module was loose- easy fix! Just open the unit, push it in, and close the unit! Very easy :)

Overall despite the semi-defective (Just a loose connection) Vortech, I am very happy with the customer service received and the quick fix. The customer service agent also had a lot of advice for my tank, regarding utilizing my old MP10w to create counter-sync modes and other cool (And supposably efficient) modes.

In ADDITION, I mentioned that both my MP10w Dry Side and wet side was cracked (I dropped it a couple times :( ), and he said that I could send it over for a complete repair for just the shipping cost! How awesome is that?!?!? Ive used it for over a year, and EcoTech Marine offers to do a free repair on something that was completely my fault!

+1 for Ecotech Marine....

music4life87

Its off topic but what protein skimmer are you currently using and how is it working for you? I put a Bak-Pak HOB skimmer on mine and I don't like it at all. The pump is very load and produces a lot of micro bubbles into the rear chamber . I was just looking for another option and I remembered you have the same tank as I do.

HarryPotter

Its off topic but what protein skimmer are you currently using and how is it working for you? I put a Bak-Pak HOB skimmer on mine and I don't like it at all. The pump is very load and produces a lot of micro bubbles into the rear chamber . I was just looking for another option and I remembered you have the same tank as I do.

This is my "Hyper" thread- theres no such thing as off topic :lol:

Currently I do not have a skimmer, but I am looking to have the Cad-Lights PLS-50 elite. It fits in the second chamber (After the media baskets), so would be perfect for my setup!

I have heard pretty great reviews, and the only other skimmer I would consider is the Cad Lights PLS 150 HOB or the Reef Octopus BH2000

This is my "Hyper" thread- theres no such thing as off topic :lol:

Currently I do not have a skimmer, but I am looking to have the Cad-Lights PLS-50 elite. It fits in the second chamber (After the media baskets), so would be perfect for my setup!

I have heard pretty great reviews, and the only other skimmer I would consider is the Cad Lights PLS 150 HOB or the Reef Octopus BH2000

I can say that the pls50 elite is an awesome skimmer. No very finicky or a pain to maintain at all.
HarryPotter

I can say that the pls50 elite is an awesome skimmer. No very finicky or a pain to maintain at all.

Enough for a 45 gallon?

It is the PERFECT (Spacial) fit. Since both my overflow chambers are full (InTank), I have to use the small chamber next to it. One of the small chambers has by InTank Refugium, but the other is available!

The Marine Depot "Will It Fit" series is awesome- shows how the skimmer fits perfectly in that secondary chamber :)

Enough for a 45 gallon?

It is the PERFECT (Spacial) fit. Since both my overflow chambers are full (InTank), I have to use the small chamber next to it. One of the small chambers has by InTank Refugium, but the other is available!

The Marine Depot "Will It Fit" series is awesome- shows how the skimmer fits perfectly in that secondary chamber :)

I wanna say it's rated at 60-65 gallons somewhere in that range. You also gotta figure it's not a full 45 gallons after rocks and equipment are added. So it should be fine. Mine is currently in a 40 gallon breeder I made into an aio tank.

thecoralbeauty

Enough for a 45 gallon?

spatial* is generally more correct, but it can be spelled either way.

Also- I don't have a skimmer so I can't weigh in, but why skim? do you feed super heavily??

HarryPotter

spatial* is generally more correct, but it can be spelled either way.

Also- I don't have a skimmer so I can't weigh in, but why skim? do you feed super heavily??

Thanks for the spell check :) (Actually- I always appreciate it!)

Why skim? The redundancy, the ability to have nutrient removal, to allow (slightly) fewer water changes, to deal with any LPS wars, to feed more and control more livestock, etc.

As of now it is not critical- two clownfish don't make much detritus. A doser is higher priority ATM, but a skimmer is in my future hopefully.

It also helps oxygenate the water I believe.

something about that post made me envision a totally crowded tank. haha.

Right?! This thread is crazy busy haha. I think the same thing and know better.
HarryPotter

something about that post made me envision a totally crowded tank. haha.

Im actually working on getting rid of most of my (old) frags that I feel like do not belong. Im shipping out a few Neon Green Toadstools, Yumas, Hairy Mushrooms, Pipe Organ, etc. Gotta clean it out a bit!

It also helps oxygenate the water I believe.

Yes- I heard that as well. I do have a lot of surface movement so 02 is not really a concern, but its another + of skimming

So question.....

If I want to make my first large Coral Order (All my corals have been local frags, under $15 for the most part) which would include a (Large) "Ultra" Millipora colony, Rainbow BTA, a few "Add-on" across and a few random cheap frags (Rhodactus mushrooms, zoas, etc), should I wait?

Is it too premature to make my first large order? Should I wait until my tank's ALK is settled down and I have a doser?

I don't want to be impatient, but POTO's post made me DROOOOOOL!

If you are wanting those acros you definitely want to make sure your alk is 100% stable. Those are beautiful(pricey pieces) from POTO if its not staying stable you may be wasting your money untill you can get it stable.

Cencalfishguy56

Is that why people dose sugars and/or vodka?

Edit:

Whoops nvm Vodka dosing is for Nitrate control, not for feeding corals.

Vodka dosing is for a good time In my experience ;)

Im actually working on getting rid of most of my (old) frags that I feel like do not belong. Im shipping out a few Neon Green Toadstools, Yumas, Hairy Mushrooms, Pipe Organ, etc. Gotta clean it out a bit!

Yes- I heard that as well. I do have a lot of surface movement so 02 is not really a concern, but its another + of skimming

Yea more oxygen in the water is probably never a bad thing.

My tank has a good bit of surface agitation as well but glad the skimmer is in there none the less. I also have a heavy feeding hand and 5 fish and two btas. So a good bit more bio load than you currently have to worry overm

HarryPotter

If you are wanting those acros you definitely want to make sure your alk is 100% stable. Those are beautiful(pricey pieces) from POTO if its not staying stable you may be wasting your money untill you can get it stable.

Yeah thats what I thought/decided as well. Its not worth the risk- possibly killing such beautiful coral just so I can get them a few weeks (Or months) earlier.

The money part is another issue, but mainly I just would feel TERRIBLE if I killed any coral out of impatience/immaturity.

Vodka dosing is for a good time In my experience ;)

Im only a Junior; Vodka? What is that?

;)

Cencalfishguy56

Yeah thats what I thought/decided as well. Its not worth the risk- possibly killing such beautiful coral just so I can get them a few weeks (Or months) earlier.

The money part is another issue, but mainly I just would feel TERRIBLE if I killed any coral out of impatience/immaturity.

Im only a Junior; Vodka? What is that?

;)

Don't BS me! I was once a junior haha I used to get stupid drunk! :lol: don't ever do that its dangerous

HarryPotter

Don't BS me! I was once a junior haha I used to get stupid drunk! :lol: don't ever do that its dangerous

I know I know. I drive, so pretty much (sadly) have a zero tolerance policy unless I'm staying over.

Parents are pretty great that way

Also got that drilled into my head- "8 hours bottle to throttle!"

Cencalfishguy56

I know I know. I drive, so pretty much (sadly) have a zero tolerance policy unless I'm staying over.

Parents are pretty great that way

Also got that drilled into my head- "8 hours bottle to throttle!"

Good! Keep that mindset it will keep you alive haha and I like that saying!

HarryPotter

Good! Keep that mindset it will keep you alive haha and I like that saying!

Yeah I'm a private pilot and they make you recite it a few hundred times- its considered at least as important as rehearsing emergency procedures! :lol:

Prisonfood53

Wow, so I just read this entire post. First time I have ever read an entire post longer than 4 pages.

I too have a JBJ 45RL and there aren't many in the forums so I thoroughly enjoyed this. You have a great tank, I especially like your clams and hope to get one someday.

Your equipment is great I was trying to get Stevie T to make those baskets a year ago, had to make my own instead. Luckily I know and work with people that that are knowledgeable about machining and plastics so I was able to make 2 nice ones and a crappy one (first try) for about $50. The stock ones are useless.

I run a Ghost skimmer midsize that seems to do pretty well. Skims a little wet but but for a nano it produces a nice dark skim. Also a bit noisy but I am lazy to take it apart and check if the impeller is a little loose.

Can't wait to see yours grow out and fully stocked.

good luck

Archived