Innovative Marine Aquariums

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Wow, so I just read this entire post. First time I have ever read an entire post longer than 4 pages.

I too have a JBJ 45RL and there aren't many in the forums so I thoroughly enjoyed this. You have a great tank, I especially like your clams and hope to get one someday.

Your equipment is great I was trying to get Stevie T to make those baskets a year ago, had to make my own instead. Luckily I know and work with people that that are knowledgeable about machining and plastics so I was able to make 2 nice ones and a crappy one (first try) for about $50. The stock ones are useless.

I run a Ghost skimmer midsize that seems to do pretty well. Skims a little wet but but for a nano it produces a nice dark skim. Also a bit noisy but I am lazy to take it apart and check if the impeller is a little loose.

Can't wait to see yours grow out and fully stocked.

good luck

Thank you so much! Im glad you enjoyed it :)

I checked out your DIY media baskets earlier, with the orange racks. They look awesome! What are you running in the baskets- Carbon and floss, or something more complex?

Can we get an updated photo of your RL-45? The last time I saw your tank was when your Neo-Therm broke, a few months ago at least!

Thanks for the good wishes!

IMG_1091_zps0bsatzly.jpg

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prisonfood53

Thank you so much! Im glad you enjoyed it :)

I checked out your DIY media baskets earlier, with the orange racks. They look awesome! What are you running in the baskets- Carbon and floss, or something more complex?

Can we get an updated photo of your RL-45? The last time I saw your tank was when your Neo-Therm broke, a few months ago at least!

Thanks for the good wishes!

IMG_1091_zps0bsatzly.jpg

Sweet somebody read my post.

Aw man I have been horrible with the updating. After the heater busted i added a Royal Gramma and got Ich. i didn't have a quarantine tank to put the fish in for medication so they ended up dying. After i lost all my fish i let the tank sit fishless for about 4 months, i was pretty pissed off and kind of neglected the tank. What got me back was my corals were actually doing pretty well so I started doing my water changes weekly and got a couple Turbos to clean up the algae. i now have a 6 Line and a Maroon clown hosting a BTA and participating in a couple of grow out contests for my local forum.

On a side note I now use the Tank Transfer Method to ensure no Ich touches my tank so far so good. It is a lot easier to put the fish in a bucket for 10 days than to quarantine them for a month.

I am doing a water change tomorrow hopefully so i will take an updated pic then.

HarryPotter

Sweet somebody read my post.

Aw man I have been horrible with the updating. After the heater busted i added a Royal Gramma and got Ich. i didn't have a quarantine tank to put the fish in for medication so they ended up dying. After i lost all my fish i let the tank sit fishless for about 4 months, i was pretty pissed off and kind of neglected the tank. What got me back was my corals were actually doing pretty well so I started doing my water changes weekly and got a couple Turbos to clean up the algae. i now have a 6 Line and a Maroon clown hosting a BTA and participating in a couple of grow out contests for my local forum.

On a side note I now use the Tank Transfer Method to ensure no Ich touches my tank so far so good. It is a lot easier to put the fish in a bucket for 10 days than to quarantine them for a month.

I am doing a water change tomorrow hopefully so i will take an updated pic then.

Yeah I read it! I couldn't comment since not a member, but enjoyed it nonetheless!

Today I am heading to Home Depot for a screen kit- hopefully it'll work out as a sexy solution for our rimless troubles

Prisonfood53

Today I am heading to Home Depot for a screen kit- hopefully it'll work out as a sexy solution for our rimless troubles

Sweet I actually just added the 6 Line over the weekend with a Diamond goby, the Goby jumped out during the night so I am thinking screen too. I will let you figure it out though since high schoolers have more time than parents of 4yo twins. JK I really just don't want to figure it out right now.

HarryPotter

Sweet I actually just added the 6 Line over the weekend with a Diamond goby, the Goby jumped out during the night so I am thinking screen too. I will let you figure it out though since high schoolers have more time than parents of 4yo twins. JK I really just don't want to figure it out right now.

Haha yeah I know I have too much free time on my hands!

At least it's better to spend to on a tank than getting into trouble! Plus my house has a "zero video game policy", so none of that either!

I'll take pictures of my attempt of a top and record pricing ;$

HarryPotter

Home Depot had an identical kit for $11, but without the BRS mesh.

MUCH cheaper lol

It's called the 36" screen kit

lilmatty5dimes

Haha. You could be. Gen 2 go for $250-300.

There are Wide lenses on ebay for $22 right now.

Please show me these link. I sold my gen 1 for $280.
HarryPotter

So I made the lid and it works GREAT!

Sleek- practically invisible!

I just need to change the generic Mesh to clear mesh, since the standard fly-mesh is too dark!

Its great though- PrisonFood when I finish mine and finalize everything, I would make one for free for you if you pay shipping.

I have triple the supplies necessary, so when I'm finished with V2 I'll make you an identical one for just the cost of shipping.

Prisonfood53

So I made the lid and it works GREAT!

Sleek- practically invisible!

I just need to change the generic Mesh to clear mesh, since the standard fly-mesh is too dark!

Its great though- PrisonFood when I finish mine and finalize everything, I would make one for free for you if you pay shipping.

I have triple the supplies necessary, so when I'm finished with V2 I'll make you an identical one for just the cost of shipping.

Damn that's generous of you. Thanks. How did you handle the rounded corners?
HarryPotter

Damn that's generous of you. Thanks. How did you handle the rounded corners?

I have special rounded corner connectors! This was my V1- Its not great. I order a TON of clear mesh and the special rimless attachments so that it will not be visible at all.

The current version is just a trial- V2 will have black frame, clear mesh, rounded corners, and be below the rim.

We need pics Harry of the mesh top

IMG_1097_zpszb4zkixe.jpg

HarryPotter

Good work on the top man. This tank is a work of art.

It doesn't compare to most of the tanks here yet, but with some growth and TLC its getting there!

As for the top, that was my first try. Costed about $12 dollars from home depot, and I have MUCH more supplies than I need.

The next version will have black frame, clear mesh, and fit much better with the rounded corners I found- hopefully it'll be less "LOOK HERE IS A TOP".

It doesn't compare to most of the tanks here yet, but with some growth and TLC its getting there!

As for the top, that was my first try. Costed about $12 dollars from home depot, and I have MUCH more supplies than I need.

The next version will have black frame, clear mesh, and fit much better with the rounded corners I found- hopefully it'll be less "LOOK HERE IS A TOP".

Ah don't sweat being as good as other tanks they are all different so that's a hard thing to be lol. All the same yours is shaping up to be a great tank.

HarryPotter

Love your clams. I have not been brave enough (too cheap cough cough) to get them.

If you think about it, online they are $70ish, the same as some acropora frags. I vote CLAMS!

I am in love with the TINY 1.5" deresa clams- they look crazy beautiful and tim the local grower is offering $12 each or two for $20

picoreef78

If you think about it, online they are $70ish, the same as some acropora frags. I vote CLAMS!

I am in love with the TINY 1.5" deresa clams- they look crazy beautiful and tim the local grower is offering $12 each or two for $20

I go cheap and usually get 30 dollar frags. The expensive stuff I get dies.

HarryPotter

I go cheap and usually get 30 dollar frags. The expensive stuff I get dies.

I haven't tried the expensive stuff yet! Ill tell it how you how it goes if I ever get there LOL

HarryPotter

Top looks great.

Man $12 for a dersa clam is crazy in the Bay Area those would be $50.

Thanks- I'm excited for V2 tomorrow!

F126476B-8BC7-4B73-A336-C034F0789B9D_zps

HarryPotter

i also made myself a test tube holder/drier for the API kits.

Pretty simple, and allows a place to dry AND a holder during testing (dual layers)

E1DF30B3-CA71-42D0-81F1-61B391655EDD_zps

HarryPotter

Tomorrow school lets out at 11:15- I wish you all luck! Haha

Just redoing the top to be sleeker, and with clear mesh (if I can find it locally).

I also have been looking at a beautiful trachphyllia for the last month or so at the LFS- very fairly priced and simply astonishing!

thecoralbeauty

Top looks great.

Man $12 for a dersa clam is crazy in the Bay Area those would be $50.

in denver they're closer to 80-100

Archived