Coral Vue Hydros

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

i mean generally if you say you can text someone, you have their number. unless in florida you use carrier pigeons or smoke signals... :P

perfectcorals.com is the website? The clams on there aren't very bright like you're describing so i'm assuming he just hasn't updated anything due to the huge shipments. also they're listed at 50$ not 15...

i can wait. lol

lets see the new clam?

I don't know- is that the same address?

New Crocea? Its not looking great now- I actually (Im an idiot) dropped the bag while getting out of the car with my backpack and the foot detached from the rock (Or ripped :( )

IMG_1118_zpsctoa6xj7.jpg

IMG_1121_zpsuovcnyhn.jpg

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

Here are some of the clams he's had: (For perspective, I estimate the smaller ones are 1.5)

123_1_zpscoapijn4.jpg

123_1-2_zpsozmyqo6d.jpg

123_1-4_zpsobpdualo.jpg

https://perfectcorals.com/product/crocea-clam1/

That's pretty. I'm not even a clam person. And personally don't buy livestock online. Which limits my selection

I don't buy livestock online either- scary.

Yeah thats sort of what mine looks like-a darkish crocea with light spots. Right now it looks dull and isn't really extended since I dropped it... (Bashing my head in right now)

thecoralbeauty

Here are some of the clams he's had: (For perspective, I estimate the smaller ones are 1.5)

123_1_zpscoapijn4.jpg

123_1-2_zpsozmyqo6d.jpg

123_1-4_zpsobpdualo.jpg

I don't buy livestock online either- scary.

Yeah thats sort of what mine looks like-a darkish crocea with light spots. Right now it looks dull and isn't really extended since I dropped it... (Bashing my head in right now)

THE TEAL ONE!!! It's a gorgeous color but it looks kinda big.

HarryPotter

THE TEAL ONE!!! It's a gorgeous color but it looks kinda big.

Im guessing end to end its about 2 inches, not more than that.

I am slightly concerned that the smaller ones need to be fed daily in a separate container- because they cannot photosynthesize yet. Have you heard anything about this?

thecoralbeauty

also- he's opening a little bit, so if he did hurt his foot/byssal threads, at least he's putting a good face on. is he responsive when you wave your hand over him/shadow him for a second? that's usually the first sign.

Im guessing end to end its about 2 inches, not more than that.

I am slightly concerned that the smaller ones need to be fed daily in a separate container- because they cannot photosynthesize yet. Have you heard anything about this?

i have heard things like that, but have personally never had a problem. i've always had kinda crazy powerful lights though. I also dose phytoplankton pretty heavily so that they can filter feed if they can't photosynthesize enough.

Edit:

also, if he's that small, i'd love him! i wonder what other colors there might be. smeagol picked up a really pretty light-colored clam a while ago and I kind of liked that...

HarryPotter

also- he's opening a little bit, so if he did hurt his foot/byssal threads, at least he's putting a good face on. is he responsive when you wave your hand over him/shadow him for a second? that's usually the first sign.

i have heard things like that, but have personally never had a problem. i've always had kinda crazy powerful lights though. I also dose phytoplankton pretty heavily so that they can filter feed if they can't photosynthesize enough.

Yeah it will close up completely when a shadow passes over. The naughty clownfish is pecking at his shell a bit (Some Algae I suppose) and its pissing it off!!

Both the Incurrent and Outcurrent Siphons are open, which I believe is also a good sign.

Im just worried that part of the actual foot (Not threads) broke off

HarryPotter

well, if it's serious, you'll know soon.

THAT SOUNDS SO OMINOUS!

Mwhitelock, when Maximas/TheDude is back, I will pick out the nicest small (Teal? {Light Blue}) clam I find. The small ones are pretty similar in price, I dunno why you're looking for 1"! Then if you like it I can ship it to you, or I can keep it :)

thecoralbeauty

because i have a 20L and a 1.5 in clam currently and don't want to clutter my sand bed with tons and tons of clams. haha but yea, if you find a few, definitely send me photos and we can figure out shipping.

HarryPotter

Sounds good!

Okay everyone, I have a question. My Open Brain Coral has four mouths now, two central and one on either side.

Is it possible to frag this? I have read that using a progressively tighter rubber band to separate the mouths works great, as it slowly (Without tearing) splits the coral without stressing it.

Then, once the flesh is separate, you can Dremel the hard bottom and have two, unscathed, brain corals.

Does this seem logical to you? Any experience with it? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1115_zpsuci2vvyv.jpg

HarryPotter

Hope your watching alk and cal to keep all them guys happy. Are you running doser?

I am not running a doser yet, but I am currently adding 15 ml B-Ionic daily. I will test again tonight

HarryPotter

Here's a bit of a photobomb! My new clam, pictures from above, and a weird "olive" snail pissing off my open brain!

D23E0D78-A38F-4DB8-9DED-25E9A9B9C5D2_zps

1514CC52-4278-434F-AAF7-99E18A41ADDD_zps

D7FFC95B-25A9-4290-A875-51ECB91B9544_zps

8CC91C3D-A6BB-41A9-94F8-8F9362A66802_zps

HarryPotter

Olive snail? Looks like developmental disabled Nassausaris snail

I can't tell if you're joking! omgomgomg

I always thought that shell was called an "olive"- no? I used to collect them at the beach

HarryPotter

top right clam is pretty too!

Thanks! It's so weird!

From top down it looks bright orange, but from the side purple/black!

I wonder why that is :wub:

Edit:

Oh Morgan- what do you think of the one on the left? 1.5 inches

A151241E-48A1-4A7A-BA05-51658E35A002_zps

righttirefire

I don't know what that is. It was a honest question disguised as a political incorrect comment

HarryPotter

I don't know what that is. It was a honest question disguised as a political incorrect comment

Haha I see :o very funny :)

Yeah it's an "olive"- Google it!

HarryPotter

Parameters are spot on- Ca 440, KH 9.1, Etc.

The 15ml Ca and KH is working well, yet I may need to raise it in the coming weeks due to the current element-load rising.

Salinity was a bit low since I've been acclimating so much and just topping off with RO, so I put a handful of IO crystals in the rear chamber to take it up a bit. I might need to repeat this

(Was 1.023, I like to keep it 1.025)

HarryPotter

Not a good idea to mix salt like that. You never want to mix salt inside your display.

Why not? Is it not the same as mixing it and then adding it?

I thought putting it in the rear chamber is the same as mixing in a bucket and then adding. What is the difference?

In the future I will just add salt to the ATO supply and bring it up like that.

I've just been acclimating many critters and even shipping them- I never imagined that that would have an effect on the salinity!

It isn't the same as mixing and then adding. Salt that hasn't mixed can burn corals and fish. You also want to give the salt a chance to mix, and balance out.

Archived