ReefCleaners.org

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

I think you should change it again and do it every 4.5 mins.

Did you not read what I said? The title is staying as is for the tanks lifespan.

Speaking of the tank, my green slimer has lost most of its color but still has PE. Could that be too much lighting?

Cencalfishguy56

Did you not read what I said? The title is staying as is for the tanks lifespan.

Speaking of the tank, my green slimer has lost most of its color but still has PE. Could that be too much lighting?

Any alk swings? Braap is getting to you man haha

I can't read

Cencalfishguy56

Haha. You could be. Gen 2 go for $250-300.

There are Wide lenses on ebay for $22 right now.

I'll just continue using my room lighting, it's the cheapest option for me

HarryPotter

Any alk swings? Braap is getting to you man haha

Alk seems steady, but a bit low. 7-9; is that okay?

yes too much lighting

That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to reduce from 70 to 60 and see how it goes

thecoralbeauty

Alk seems steady, but a bit low. 7-9; is that okay?

That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to reduce from 70 to 60 and see how it goes

and be patient with it... give it at least a week, as pigment comes from the symbiotic photosynthesizing bacteria. Those things sometimes take a while to grow back. and make sure there are at least nutrients in the water! sps like clean water, but they also need to eat- there's a difference between "dirty" water (nitrite/nitrate) and clean but nutrient-rich water.

HarryPotter

and be patient with it... give it at least a week, as pigment comes from the symbiotic photosynthesizing bacteria. Those things sometimes take a while to grow back. and make sure there are at least nutrients in the water! sps like clean water, but they also need to eat- there's a difference between "dirty" water (nitrite/nitrate) and clean but nutrient-rich water.

Okay, I'll give it at least a week!

I have been giving two capfuls of marine snow per day, which I thought was "SPS" food. No?

7-9 is okay for alk but try to keep it more between plus or minus 1 wherever you are at.

Okay, I'll try! It's pretty easy to test- I will try to do it twice a day

Okay, I'll give it at least a week!

I have been giving two capfuls of marine snow per day, which I thought was "SPS" food. No?

Okay, I'll try! It's pretty easy to test- I will try to do it twice a day

I'm sure it's in your thread but what chemical are you dosing with? That clam has to be the one soaking up that calcium. I don't see enough SPS in there for a need to dose that much

HarryPotter

I'm sure it's in your thread but what chemical are you dosing with? That clam has to be the one soaking up that calcium. I don't see enough SPS in there for a need to dose that much

I am using B-Ionic Ca and All.

There are two clams now- one large 5" and another 3.5"

I do have a bunch of caps, that's pretty much my only SPS now except the tiny slimer!

I'm up to 15ml daily of each!

Here is a quick picture:

E7536AA3-DDFB-4836-B3F1-9080A5854D5E_zps

I am using B-Ionic Ca and All.

There are two clams now- one large 5" and another 3.5"

I do have a bunch of caps, that's pretty much my only SPS now except the tiny slimer!

I'm up to 15ml daily of each!

Clams are looking great. Make sure you are dosing on the low side. MUCH better to put in too little than too much. If your tank swings more than .5dkh in a day it'll be trouble town

HarryPotter

Clams are looking great. Make sure you are dosing on the low side. MUCH better to put in too little than too much. If your tank swings more than .5dkh in a day it'll be trouble town

Thanks! Im hoping to get another clam soon..... they are unbelievably cheap from a local and look incredible!

Ill probably work on balancing everything before that though, especially my Kh.

So I currently put 7.5 ml (Each) in the morning and 7.5 ml (Each) at night. Hopefully when I get a doser (Jebao? Marine Magic?) I can become more accurate and spread out the doses throughout the day.

Thanks for the help! Ill make sure to test before adding anything

charnelhouse

Technically speaking, zooxanthellae are algae, not bacteria. Bacteria do not perform photosynthesis. There's your lesson for the day, teach ;)

HarryPotter

Technically speaking, zooxanthellae are algae, not bacteria. Bacteria do not perform photosynthesis. There's your lesson for the day, teach ;)

One second- so what do I "Feed" the SPS corals? Marine Snow is not for the Caps/Acros? Then why am I using it?!!? :lol:

One second- so what do I "Feed" the SPS corals? Marine Snow is not for the Caps/Acros? Then why am I using it?!!? :lol:

Polyps will take in the marine snow. Yes feed em

charnelhouse

Corals can digest food for nutrients, but also get energy from their zooxanthellae creating sugars as a byproduct of photosynthesis. They eat, but the symbiosis provides them energy also.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/corals/media/supp_coral02bc.html

HarryPotter

So question.....

If I want to make my first large Coral Order (All my corals have been local frags, under $15 for the most part) which would include a (Large) "Ultra" Millipora colony, Rainbow BTA, a few "Add-on" across and a few random cheap frags (Rhodactus mushrooms, zoas, etc), should I wait?

Is it too premature to make my first large order? Should I wait until my tank's ALK is settled down and I have a doser?

I don't want to be impatient, but POTO's post made me DROOOOOOL!

HarryPotter

Corals can digest food for nutrients, but also get energy from their zooxanthellae creating sugars as a byproduct of photosynthesis. They eat, but the symbiosis provides them energy also.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/corals/media/supp_coral02bc.html

Is that why people dose sugars and/or vodka?

Edit:

Whoops nvm Vodka dosing is for Nitrate control, not for feeding corals.

Archived