Coral Vue Hydros

My 20 Long Journey

Mom2many

Looks awesome! And you're going to get pipe organ too? Filling up fast! Haha

(Shipping them out this afternoon!)

Thank you so much!!!...And so excited!!!

I love your new additions! Your tank is filling up fast! You're so lucky to have found the grandis paly that quickly. This tank is so going to explode w/ color.

Thank you! You are so right! It is just about full in there. I had been eyeing some grandis palys on ebay but wanted to hold off before buying any, to make sure one of the two stores I would be going to might by chance have some. They did! Said they dont usually have any but had a few frags this time. I am grateful.

LOVE the new additions! Especially the green acan :wub:. That was the perfect color choice for where you placed it!

Thank you! I am excited. I know I wont be able to fit much more in there so am being choosy about what I would like. When I saw mr green acan, I knew I had just the right friend for him. My pink one! thank you!

The Ph has been slowly climbing since opening up the windows. It was 6.57 on Sunday. 6.68 on Monday and 6.90 Tuesday today. All readings were taken first thing in the morning after the lights came on to full using a properly calibrated Milwalkee hand held tester. It will be interesting in a week where it is.

I think I am either testing wrong with my calcium hanna tester or it is way off. As the numbers are high and all over the place. Since I noticed this I have been testing with the Red Sea test kit and have been getting numbers that make more sense and are slowly falling as one would expect with my corals usage.

For instance...with the hanna tester... 540 on Sunday and 542 today? with no dosing in between? Weird

So I have started using the Red Sea test kit for it all and have gotten numbers that make more sense.

Monday:

Alk 12.6

Cal 450

Ph 6.68 (taken with milwalkee hand tester)

Today my readings are:

Alk 11.2

Cal 420

Ph 6.90

I guess I should start dosing tomorrow?

• Like 1

Today my readings are:

Alk 11.2

Cal 420

Ph 6.90

I guess I should start dosing tomorrow?

I ran my cube with these numbers and it did great. My pH was always higher though...never dropped below 8.0. My current tank has a nice pH level..8.4 for a high but my low can get down to 7.8. Depends on what you want your levels to be, they are fine as is. See how much they drop again tomorrow.
  • Like 1

Harryjsinger kindly sent me two frags of his pipe organ and they arrived today! I am so excited! Thank you Harry!

Here are some pictures after acclimation and putting them in the tank.

This is the one that is on a plug. You can see two little polyps starting to open up already.

013_zpsuan4dvby.jpg

This one was growing on a little piece of rock rubble and also has a little polyp waking up and peeking out.

017_zpsnj1liyml.jpg

It was boxed and packed wonderfully. Here is a little piece of pipe organ flesh that was floating in the bag and so I glued it on a rock and one single branch that must have come off in shipping that I glued to my rock work.

020_zpssonki2pg.jpg

018_zpskxrrc7ts.jpg

I am super happy! Thank you again Harry!

• Like 3

You're welcome.

I really like this site. The same day I sent those out to you, someone offered to send me a CUC package with assorted snails, bristles, etc.

What comes around goes around I guess!

Here's your frag- give it a day or two ;)

70C6E6CB-CF4C-4A97-8526-AB3CA51587CA_zps

• Like 2

You're welcome.

I really like this site. The same day I sent those out to you, someone offered to send me a CUC package with assorted snails, bristles, etc.

What comes around goes around I guess!

Here's your frag- give it a day or two ;)

70C6E6CB-CF4C-4A97-8526-AB3CA51587CA_zps

Wonderful, what a blessing to get the CUC!

Great frags. Very pretty in your photo! I could tell they are nice pieces. Thank you again.

I have been having low Ph issues and made this new lid yesterday. The Ph came up almost a whole point from 6.97 to 7.69 in 24 hours.

190_zpsx8m2xgiv.jpg

I noticed today that the corals were even more fluffy with the screen lid. I guess maybe they get a tad more light not having the light go thru the glass lid even though I always kept it as clean as I could.

175_zpslx5ogz4m.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work! :)

Thanks. A little crocked but once on the tank its not noticable. It was hard to make it so it fit snug around the AquaClear, so that there was absolutely nowhere for any fish to jump out. My corals seem to like it better with out the glass lid. Maybe the light is more intense now.

• Like 1

Thanks. A little crocked but once on the tank its not noticable. It was hard to make it so it fit snug around the AquaClear, so that there was absolutely nowhere for any fish to jump out. My corals seem to like it better with out the glass lid. Maybe the light is more intense now.

Way better job than mine! I didn't get it snug around the filter so there is space to jump out :(. But I'm hoping with the stronger flow falling out of the filter, and the fact that they don't hang out in that area, it might lower the chances fingerscrossed. I saw rehype posted about a custom lid in his tank thread, but they are pricey! My concern would be spending all that money and then getting the measurements wrong somehow LOL.
  • Like 1

Way better job than mine! I didn't get it snug around the filter so there is space to jump out :(. But I'm hoping with the stronger flow falling out of the filter, and the fact that they don't hang out in that area, it might lower the chances fingerscrossed. I saw rehype posted about a custom lid in his tank thread, but they are pricey! My concern would be spending all that money and then getting the measurements wrong somehow LOL.

SAME WORRY! I talked to Smiz about a custom lid but since my tank has curved corners I'm too paranoid that it wont fit!

• Like 2

I bet your right. You should never loose a fish with the water presure pouring down. :)

SAME WORRY! I talked to Smiz about a custom lid but since my tank has curved corners I'm too paranoid that it wont fit!

I can't imagine trying to make a screen lid with curved corners. I had trouble enough with all right angles.

Just read your tank thread. Very nice tank and your a great person. Think I may add a 20l ASAP. I'm in Georgia as well but close to an hour south of Atlanta.

You are to kind. Thank you for the encouragment. You will not regret setting up a 20L. It is by far my most favoirte and versitile tank I have ever had. Very easy to maintain and keep up with water changes. A fellow Georgian! I hear it gets pretty hot down where you are located. :) Any great fish stores in your area?

• Like 2

I have one Lfs within 3 miles but they are basically fish only with a few nice corals here and there. Nice stuff is usually other customers trading frags. Basically online purchases or drive up to Atlanta. Hot yes too dang hot and humid. Enjoy these new leds cause last two tanks had metal halide with chillers of course.

• Like 1

I have one Lfs within 3 miles but they are basically fish only with a few nice corals here and there. Nice stuff is usually other customers trading frags. Basically online purchases or drive up to Atlanta. Hot yes too dang hot and humid. Enjoy these new leds cause last two tanks had metal halide with chillers of course.

I have no LFS around here that have salt water stuff. I have to drive an hour north to Chattanooga or an hour south to Atlanta. So I never just make a trip out to go to the fish store. It has to be that I have an appointment in one of those cities to justify me stopping in at the fish store. But when I do it is a real treat and so much fun. Most of those stores dont have anything unquie unless they are frag trade ins either. If I want out of the norm, I have to purchase on line as well. If you set up a 20L do a tank thread. I would love to follow along!

I can't imagine trying to make a screen lid with curved corners. I had trouble enough with all right angles.

Well Smiz uses a laser to cut acrylic, so he could do corners. I just don't understand how to measure mine! :(

Did the pipe organ open yet? :)

• Like 1

Well Smiz uses a laser to cut acrylic, so he could do corners. I just don't understand how to measure mine! :(

Did the pipe organ open yet? :)

Not as open as it was in your picture but most of the polyps are open now. I think it is adjusting well. My lights are ramping down for the night. I will get a picture once my lights are on tomorrow and post it. :) I am very happy with them.

I dont believe I have ever been in that area. Most of the appointments I have to go to for my children are at Scottish Rite or that area. The closest LFS to me are Creation Pet in Acworth and Optimum Aquariums in Kennesaw. They both carry your basic reef supplies and have a great sellection of fish and inverts. But most of the corals are standard every day corals and colors of corals. I have gotten some great frags here and there that I caught at the right time that people traded in for things. As of now my tank is very full. I have very few things on my wish list and if I fell in love with a coral somewhere and absolutely had to buy it, one I have now would have to go to make room for it. :) I guess the dream of starting up that 10 gallon is looking better and better. :)

We have so many children that our vehicle we drive is literally a bus. Gas is a huge consideration in driving anywhere we go. Also, how long all the children will be still and stay occupied to get somewhere and back home again is a huge thing. Sometimes after a long day at appointments, even if I am near a coral shop, the children just cant sit still much longer and I need to get them all home as quickly as possible. So I have never made it to any of the salt water stores people tell me of on the other side of Atlanta. Maybe someday. :)

• Like 1

Harry...here are the pipes you sent to me as of this morning!

028_zpstvxoke22.jpg

025_zpsr8e8rnqr.jpg

020_zpsngydnu7u.jpg

Every day they open up a little more and look happier. My lights are not as bright as yours so we shall see if I get the growth you had. :) Love them.

While I was taking these I snapped some top downs.

My Neon Birds nest

021_zpsydxilq01.jpg

Left Island - The Outer Edge

010_zpsbcaf0f5l.jpg

The inner edge

014_zpsy4xudjah.jpg

The Valley

015_zps6seu307v.jpg

Blasto Wellsi

005_zps6uwk0amk.jpg

• Like 3