Top Shelf Aquatics

My 20 Long Journey

Mom2many

Everything looks terrific! I love how good the pocillopora look!

Thank you so much! I really love pocilloporas a lot. Very easy to take care of and grow pretty fast. The only down side is the green one spawns all the time and I have a million babies growing all over my rockwork! :o

• Like 1

Your tank is fluffy and fuzzy. It looks great!

Thank you! It has been a pretty easy tank to take care of. I have enjoyed it a lot.

Wow, fantastic pictures! Everything looks so healthy. And cute :)

Thank you! I had a hard time getting my phone to see the pederson shrimp. Heck...I have a hard time seeing my pederson shirmp sometimes!

• Like 2

For a very busy mom, it sounds like you have chosen well in regards to the tank!

Thank you! It has been a pretty easy tank to take care of. I have enjoyed it a lot.

Thank you! I had a hard time getting my phone to see the pederson shrimp. Heck...I have a hard time seeing my pederson shirmp sometimes!

• Like 1

Life has gotten a bit complicated. It has kept me from getting on line as much as I used to but I am still enjoying my tanks. I know it is time for an update. So sorry for not posting as much as I used to.

Here is my newest FTS. Keep in mind this is the day before cleaning day. :)

085_zpsj82jugru.jpg

Here is my right island.

061_zpsvipa360v.jpg

Here is my left island.

060_zpskbfyu3yv.jpg

For those that have asked to see the little 10 gallon I set up recently... here it is. Keep in mind it is going thru its various algea stages. It is only a few months old. I captured all but one of my rock flower anenomes from my 20 Long and put them in here. I am still trying to get the last (red) one caught and moved.

077_zpsop9t9zr6.jpg

Harry...look at those pipes on the right in both tanks!!! They have gotten huge in no time from the frags you shipped me! Thanks again!!

Can't believe I haven't seen this tank til now, it's absolutely beautiful!!!

I really love it.

• Like 1

For a very busy mom, it sounds like you have chosen well in regards to the tank!

Thank you! I dont know if I choose well or not... Some people would say not because I don't run a skimmer or sump... But for me I learned from my mistakes and past tanks and this tanks works well for me. Simple/low maintainance. :)

Can't believe I haven't seen this tank til now, it's absolutely beautiful!!!

I really love it.

Thank you! Blushing...

Simple and low maintenance is what I prefer also.

I never use sumps or skimmers either, no ato, no fancy equipment.

I also prefer Softies or LPS, as well as Macroalgaes.

• Like 1

Here is the newest video of my 20 Long. My son put it together for me and uploaded it. I am terrible with technology. Happy 11 months old tank!

• Like 3

Simple and low maintenance is what I prefer also.

I never use sumps or skimmers either, no ato, no fancy equipment.

I also prefer Softies or LPS, as well as Macroalgaes.

I am right there with you. When people ask what ATO I have I tell them I am the ATO. :)

• Like 1

Yes, it is getting quite purple and that is with the urchin cleaning it some. The tuxedo urchin I have does not get it all off. He just kind of takes a small layer off and leaves some bare areas. The pincushin urchin in my 10 scrapes things down to the rock. Leaves nothing behind and he is really tiny comparitively. I really need to try to clean the intake tube and the power heads. I am just not sure I can get them put back exactly where I had them before If I take them out to clean them. Your tank looks great. I think you set yours up right after I did. Mine will be a year old in February.

Mine's a year old June 1 :).

Here is a photo dump of some pictures I just down loaded off my phone.

My clown playing in my pink palys. :)

153h_zps4vzt2olp.jpg

That is seriously the cutest photo EVER :wub:.

Everything looks absolutely beautiful. Loved the video too!!!!!

• Like 1

Here is the newest video of my 20 Long. My son put it together for me and uploaded it. I am terrible with technology. Happy 11 months old tank!

OH.... MY..... GOSH..... this tank is GORGEOUS, I seriously love this!!!!!

No, really!!!!

Next time I make a trip to your corner of the woods I wanna see it in person.

This is so my kinda tank.

Love that crazy little clown hosting the Zoas.

I am right there with you. When people ask what ATO I have I tell them I am the ATO. :)

You're my kinda Reefer, that's me all over!!!

I can also relate to using Reef Tanks as a peaceful break from Mommyhood, cause I got back into Reefing & joined N-R just a couple of months after my last son was born, as a Sanity Break.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, lol.

• Like 2

Your tank is stunning! I just joined the 20L crew after a long hiatus from the hobby....just got my post cycle algae going so now the fun begins ;)

And I agree about that clown hosting the palys......ADORABLE. And the video is killer too!!!

• Like 2

Mine's a year old June 1 :).

That is seriously the cutest photo EVER :wub:.

Everything looks absolutely beautiful. Loved the video too!!!!!

I have loved watching your tank mature. It is a work of art. June 1st is not that far off!

Thanks. That clown is in those palys most of the day, every day. I LOVE sitting and watching it. And the palys seem to love it too as they have doubled in size since the clown began hosting it!

OH.... MY..... GOSH..... this tank is GORGEOUS, I seriously love this!!!!!

No, really!!!!

Next time I make a trip to your corner of the woods I wanna see it in person.

This is so my kinda tank.

Love that crazy little clown hosting the Zoas.

You're my kinda Reefer, that's me all over!!!

I can also relate to using Reef Tanks as a peaceful break from Mommyhood, cause I got back into Reefing & joined N-R just a couple of months after my last son was born, as a Sanity Break.

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, lol.

Thank you so much and you are always welcome. :)

Reefing can be very relaxing for sure. It has helped me a lot to destress and my children love to sit and look at the reef tanks.

Your tank is stunning! I just joined the 20L crew after a long hiatus from the hobby....just got my post cycle algae going so now the fun begins ;)

And I agree about that clown hosting the palys......ADORABLE. And the video is killer too!!!

Thank you very much. 20 longs are wonderful versitile tanks. They seem to be making a comeback of sorts. Cant wait to see what you do with yours! :)

• Like 2

I have loved watching your tank mature. It is a work of art. June 1st is not that far off!

Thanks. That clown is in those palys most of the day, every day. I LOVE sitting and watching it. And the palys seem to love it too as they have doubled in size since the clown began hosting it!

Well thank you :). I too would be loving life if I had a little clownfish giving me massages and back scratches all day every day LOL.
  • Like 1

I really love the placement of your corals, and colors, and heights, well everything then. It all works well together, looks thought out to me. You have the reefing thumb no doubt!!!! Can't believe it'll be a year for you already in June. Time flies when you're having fun. Nice to hear your husband stealing glances into the tank. They grow on you, husbands do, and tanks!

• Like 2

I really love the placement of your corals, and colors, and heights, well everything then. It all works well together, looks thought out to me. You have the reefing thumb no doubt!!!! Can't believe it'll be a year for you already in June. Time flies when you're having fun. Nice to hear your husband stealing glances into the tank. They grow on you, husbands do, and tanks!

Thank you! When I sit by my tanks, to bottle feed my infants or just to take a break, I am always planning. Making mental notes about where I see bubble algea that needs removing, or a coral that needs cut back or moving... or something that needs doing. On Sundays, when my husband makes breakfast for all the children, he gives me an hour or so, to just work in the tanks unbothered. It is very relaxing and my time to chill. I take my time and really clean them well and do a water change. I look forward to it all week long. To me it is like gardening in a box of water! Amazing the things that God has made and how they all can live in such a small space. My husband is starting to notice the littlest bugs and critters scurrying around when he sits. Or a new tiny feather duster he hadnt noticed before. It makes me smile and warms my heart to see him starting to enjoy a hobby I love so much. :) He has learned not to bring me flowers anymore but offer to get me something for my tank and I am over the moon happy. You are so right...they grow on us. :)

I am looking forward to seeing you settled in and having your tanks in full swing again. Bless us with many pictures of the progress!

• Like 2

Thank you! When I sit by my tanks, to bottle feed my infants or just to take a break, I am always planning. Making mental notes about where I see bubble algea that needs removing, or a coral that needs cut back or moving... or something that needs doing. On Sundays, when my husband makes breakfast for all the children, he gives me an hour or so, to just work in the tanks unbothered. It is very relaxing and my time to chill. I take my time and really clean them well and do a water change. I look forward to it all week long. To me it is like gardening in a box of water! Amazing the things that God has made and how they all can live in such a small space. My husband is starting to notice the littlest bugs and critters scurrying around when he sits. Or a new tiny feather duster he hadnt noticed before. It makes me smile and warms my heart to see him starting to enjoy a hobby I love so much. :) He has learned not to bring me flowers anymore but offer to get me something for my tank and I am over the moon happy. You are so right...they grow on us. :)

I am looking forward to seeing you settled in and having your tanks in full swing again. Bless us with many pictures of the progress!

Thank You. I'll unpack first everything so I have no obstructions or distractions. It's so wonderful he can share this hobby with you now.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have very much enjoyed seeing my little male clown hosting my pink palys every day. He just seems to be so happy in there all day long. Rubbing himself all though their soft polyps. Sticking his little face out, peeking. The palys seem to enjoy it as well, as they never close while he is in there and they have over doubled in size since he has started hosting them. To my great delight today, the male finally looked like he was having so much fun every day, that he finally enticed the female to join him too. Sorry the pictures are so blurry but they are courting and not still for a moment. These clowns I got as babies 11 months ago. So it took them this long to grow to full size and start getting serious about setting up shop. :)

140_zpstmd6oda3.jpg

141_zpsqjkvgow7.jpg

Here are a few more pictures that were on my phone this time when I just downloaded it.

My blastos during the day.

004_zpsjz9gtyfg.jpg

And at night.

085_zpsvyqicehr.jpg

My favorite ricordias at night with the last RFA in my 20 Long. I am still trying to catch him walking so I can pop him off and move him into my 10 gallon with the rest of them.

075_zpsyf6fw5a8.jpg

A very close up of one of my pipe organs I got from Harry.

067_zpsz4rqlbvx.jpg

I had decided from the start, when setting up my 20 Long display tank, I would never have hermits, emerald crabs, Xeina or mushrooms in it. I had many issues with them all in my past tanks. But...I did so enjoy having all of those in the past. So in my 10 gallon in my bedroom, I have all of these things. So since I have no thread to post this little guys picture...This little hermit was to cute not to post somewhere, so I am putting him on here. He lives in my 10 gallon with five others and is a very busy guy. As soon as I added a snail, he murdered it and took the shell he is now wearing. Gotta love hermits. :) So I bought a mexican turbo the size of a walnut and they have left it alone.

048_zpsw8k4h1uf.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, they trade those shells out like cars on a used car lot. It's fun to watch and that spare moment you see one without a shell. Odd little guys. Agree on those eyes but the red brightness of the legs is so stunning.

• Like 1

I like his green eyes :).

He is the one with the most character. The only one with a shell like that. I wish I could have them in my 20 but I love my stomatellas to much.

Yeah, they trade those shells out like cars on a used car lot. It's fun to watch and that spare moment you see one without a shell. Odd little guys. Agree on those eyes but the red brightness of the legs is so stunning.

I am going to have to buy a few extra shells from somewhere as I dont plan on putting any more snails in there. I dont have any sizes for them to move up into. So funny...I did catch one out of his shell the other day! I dont remember seeing that with the ones I had before. They have left the mexican turbo alone. So he is going to be my only snail in there.

• Like 2

The clowns are so precious! I would never have thought hosting palys would be so adorable :)

Thanks. I have never had clowns host palys before. I love seeing them in the pink... so pretty.

Congrats on a great looking tank....Nicely done

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that!

They're a pretty pair and to host the palys is cute alright.

The female has been playing hard to get. Just ignoring him and the home he chose. I think she was waiting for "Mr. right with an anemone home" to show up! Got tired of waiting and settled or he just won her over with his cuteness and charm. :) What girl would not want a huge bouquet of pink flowers!

• Like 1