Top Shelf Aquatics

20 Gallon Starter

righttirefire

• 2 weeks later...
righttirefire

Well, the nanobox is in it's finish stages, but it's been an exercise in patience. Thank you Alex for all your hard work to get it here, and jedimasterben for helping with the conversion to 4 channels.

righttirefire

As for the "neglected" tank. Everything is moving along. Got the "new" tunze ato hooked up earlier this week, the nuvo 8 took priority on the ato. Thank you Stella!

The nanobox is still being worked on, but the shell is hanging.

20151113_194535_zpswou4vd3a.jpg

I just need to do the finally assembly in the shell. Expecting next friday will be a good time to tackled that.

Standard water change, 5 gallons, no parameters check.

The RBTA took a stroll around its rock last week. Stung a mushroom and monti, both recovered, and returned to its original position.

The BTA was guard was removed from the overflow. New foam on the MP10, and the ehiem 1250 got a total teardown and cleaning, maybe 2 weeks ago.

FTS 111315

20151113_172624_zps5sc7jzuo.jpg

• Like 1
righttirefire

My parameters seem stable. High mg. High ca. Low dKH. Undetectable nitrates and 0.08 PO4. Thinking about using the nuvo's water as part of my water change 2.5 gallons of 16ppm nitrates with 2.5 gallons of fresh saltwater in a 40 gallon system is a same addition... experiment time... maybe

righttirefire

I love when people say "parameters are good" but don't list numbers, so here we go.

Test results in:

Temp- 76F

Salinity- 1.026

Mg- 1660 ppm

Ca- 490 ppm

dKH- 6.4

No3- 0 ppm - undetectable

Po4- 0.08 ppm

Testing done with Red Sea Products:

Saltwater Refractor

Reef Foundation

Algea Control

Adjusting my dKH dosing, Seachem's Reef Builder, 1 tsp to 8 oz ro/di - manually dose 4 oz for 4 days. Top-off water seems to be maintaining dKH at 2 tsp per 1 gallon, but not increasing. I'm assuming the lower evaporation rate of winter has slowed the dosing

I think it's time for a RO/DI system, and take control of my salt, Aviator used Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and his parameters were better than mine. All my stuff is pretty high in my opinion except dKH, and it mirrors my other system parametes, same water, different tank

• Like 1
righttirefire

Tank in turmoil. I believe one of the torch was stringing the frog and hammer. I noticed the last few days the frog wasnt opening on the torch side. This morning my little hammer was all closed up... as the day progressed... THIS

20151115_140604_zpssgdk0rei.jpg

So the offending torch had been relocated. The frog is looking better, the hammer still looks rough, but better... only time will tell now...

On a good note the quad is final assembled have a 2 hour cycle running around 25% with 30 minute ramp time and delays set. I may hang it tonight, I may just set it aside until friday. I'm not planning on running without watching it for the first couple days.

righttirefire

Need to get to the store for heat shrink

Need to finish the connect to the power supply

Need to hang the QUAD

Need to set up my program

Need to play with coloration

Pictures to follow. Might wait for a nice mid day shot of my current lighting.

Then run the quad up with different coloration.

righttirefire

I've decided on my testing coloration, pictures to follow

As per How to, by Dave,

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/367284-nanobox-how-to-bluefish-tideduoquad-series/

Softies / LPS

60% Royal : 30% White : 80% Violet : 60% Cyan

20151120_142914_zpsywhyr3u7.jpg

SPS

90% Royal : 45% White : 90% Violet : 80% Cyan

20151120_140001_zpsfabh8pw2.jpg

1:1 all colors

20151120_135509_zpssfp49l1y.jpg

2:1

Royal, Violet, Cyan : White

20151120_135650_zpsk3jc8amv.jpg

3:1

Royal, Violet, Cyan : White

20151120_135729_zpswladeaxf.jpg

Note: those are for bluefish, and this is a storm light. So I've converted and maintain ratios

righttirefire

FIRST SUNRISE over the reef.

Actually the nature light is currently brighter than the nanobox.

Idiot mistake last night, I left the storm controller in setup mode last night as we we out to dinner. So I expected a dark house... nope light was still on. So I exited setup and boom darkness fell on the reef one last time.

righttirefire

As has been repeated in this and other threads, starting low and slow is the best option :)

First what you want to do is find what color light looks best to you. Set both channels to 255/255 (full on), and then adjust the white or blue channel up or down to find what is most pleasing to your eyes. This is the ratio that you will aim for. Let's say that you end up with white at 180 and blue at 255.

So, for instance, you'll want your ramp to start at 9AM, do the maximum ramp time of 180 minutes, and set your max intensity to around 35% of the numbers listed above as your maximum preferred color, then the ramp down for the same 180 mins and the end time to be 9PM (or, say, if you work during the day and are at home in the evenings and don't go to be until late, you can set your photoperiod accordingly, mine is from around 11-11 since I'm home during the week only after ~5PM). Every week you can raise the peak percentage by around 5% (~13 of 255) on each channel. Be sure to pay attention to your corals - if they are losing color and turning more brown, then you can raise it by 10% that week; if they are losing color and turning lighter, then lower the light by 5% immediately and observe for at least a week to ensure that your corals do not continue to bleach, which will kill them.

If you have dedicated moonlights, then adjust that channel to max out during the day (might as well use it to the fullest!) and then for night PWM set it to 30 and then turn on moonphase, this will auto adjust the intensity so you won't need to worry about it again.

If you do not have dedicated moonlights, then set either your 'white' or 'blue' channel to PWM 1 or 2 (not %, out of 255) and leave moonphase off.

Quote Reference:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/341181-nano-box-settings-share-your-settings-for-your-storm-controller/page-9

righttirefire

Ok,

NANOBOX QUAD settings: 25% intensity acclimation

9:00 Sunrise - 20:00 Sunset

60 minute ramp

Ch 1 - White - 32 - Delay - 30 minutes

Ch 2 - Royal - 64 - Delay - 20 minutes

Ch 3 - Violet - 64 - Delay - 0 minutes

Ch 4 - Cyan - 57 - Delay - 10 minutes

righttirefire

Tests run 24 hour after water change. I did my water change on the nuvo 8, 2 or 3 gallon, and added that "waste" water to the 20 long. Parameters similar, but nitrates present, 12-16 ppm.

Mg: 1300 ppm

Ca: 470 ppm

dKH: 9.5

No3: 0.25 ppm

Po4: 0.08 ppm

righttirefire

First major loss

123951_zps28sjjgqw.jpg

Not being home I don't know what happened. But I got this picture with the comment I think the clam died. So 9/19 - 11/26.

It always seemed to move out of the light. I found it hard to believe that it was getting too much light. But even after I'd move it, within a few days it'd end up against the glass. Before I left it was laying over toward the glass and I thought about moving it, but thought I'd let it be.

I guess I just found out what would happen. So not overly excited. I guess we're about to find out how stable this system is. I asked for it to be removed, but something has enjoyed it so far

20151120_124253_zpsaonab9ji.jpg

11/20/15 - last picture I have

• Like 1
thecoralbeauty

First major loss

123951_zps28sjjgqw.jpg

Not being home I don't know what happened. But I got this picture with the comment I think the clam died. So 9/19 - 11/26.

It always seemed to move out of the light. I found it hard to believe that it was getting too much light. But even after I'd move it, within a few days it'd end up against the glass. Before I left it was laying over toward the glass and I thought about moving it, but thought I'd let it be.

I guess I just found out what would happen. So not overly excited. I guess we're about to find out how stable this system is. I asked for it to be removed, but something has enjoyed it so far

20151120_124253_zpsaonab9ji.jpg

11/20/15 - last picture I have

poor little guy. generally they look upset first before they die so its upsetting it just happened so fast, but if you're not home, you're not home to do anything about it anyway. :( he was a cutie!

Sorry about your clam loss. I've been tossing around the idea of getting one myself. I just don't have the balls right now to spend 70+ dollars, with the chance it may die. I'm still on that bargain tank status. 5 and 10 dollar frags lol

thecoralbeauty

Sorry about your clam loss. I've been tossing around the idea of getting one myself. I just don't have the balls right now to spend 70+ dollars, with the chance it may die. I'm still on that bargain tank status. 5 and 10 dollar frags lol

HarryPotter got me clams for 15 bucks a piece- the expensive bit was the shipping. :/ here in colorado they're closer to $100+

• Like 1

HarryPotter got me clams for 15 bucks a piece- the expensive bit was the shipping. :/ here in colorado they're closer to $100+

I'm from Longmont, Colorado. In Washington the small derasa clams start at 69.99 at the LFS. I love them, just can't bring myself to do it. Harry, bro. I didn't know you had the hookup. Get me in on those man.

I'm from Longmont, Colorado. In Washington the small derasa clams start at 69.99 at the LFS. I love them, just can't bring myself to do it. Harry, bro. I didn't know you had the hookup. Get me in on those man.

Haven't been there in a few months.... Don't know if it's still up. I'll have to see

• Like 1