SaltCritters.com

20 Gallon Starter

righttirefire

righttirefire

So the pink birdsnest is gone. The ponape started stn'ing. The undata looks like crap.

Salinity- checked with rodi, calibrated with 35ppt fluid read 1.024

Temp 76*f

Mg 1520

Ca 465

dKH 8.4

Didn't test no3 v or po4, but I'm sure no3 is undetectable and po4 is 0.8

Checked for stray voltage. Got some crazy numbers between 7 and 12 ac voltage. Rechecked and got 0.5 ac volt max. Still thinking about grounding probes.

This tank makes me headache!

Talked to dave he suggested my light is still 50-60 points under intensity.

Started feeding more heavy

Birds and monti's hate alk swings of any type. Try some easy acro's.

I know people say birds and monti's are beginner SPS but thats really only in terms of lighting and nutrients, they are very unforgiving to swings and will be the first to go before the easier type acro's do.

• Like 1
righttirefire

Birds and monti's hate alk swings of any type. Try some easy acro's.

I know people say birds and monti's are beginner SPS but thats really only in terms of lighting and nutrients, they are very unforgiving to swings and will be the first to go before the easier type acro's do.

What are you recommending? My alk hasn't swung. My hannah checker has bad fluid...

No3 - undetectable maybe 0.25

Po4 0.08

What are you recommending? My alk hasn't swung. My hannah checker has bad fluid...

No3 - undetectable maybe 0.25

Po4 0.08

Well you said your parameters were crashing/dipping awhile back and were dosing or doing bigger water changes. Birds/monti's are the first to go when parameters get wacky. I was thinking maybe try something more hardy till you get the parameters solid.

Try:

Panova coral (the ora mint/neon green one is near indestructible imo and very green).

Green Psammacora

Green Slimer

Acro valida

righttirefire

Well you said your parameters were crashing/dipping awhile back and were dosing or doing bigger water changes. Birds/monti's are the first to go when parameters get wacky. I was thinking maybe try something more hardy till you get the parameters solid.

Try:

Panova coral (the ora mint/neon green one is near indestructible imo and very green).

Green Psammacora

Green Slimer

Acro valida

Thank you. In hind sight i believe it was "lack" of maintance. With everything growing so well if was consuming more than I was replacing. The dKH was recalled hannah fluid. The fluid would contact the cap of the bottle and the chemical reaction between the two would effect the test. So I'm not positive my dKH swung. I was dosing it more agressively. But it was very conservative.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...