inTank Media Baskets

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

I was looking at that skimmer but couldn't find much info about it, let us know how it works out.

Fingers crossed, it seems beast. However, only time will tell. Definitely more compact then my Vertex was, and quiet as can be!

Wow that's sweet! Plug that beast in!

Oh my, skimmer and especially the blacked out hybrid are insanely sexy!

I know, I know, it need power. Didn't get a chance to hang tonight but it'll be up tomorrow!

On a bad note, I smashed the bag in the closet with my t5 bulbs..... So need to grab some tomorrow. Poop.

Wow that skimmer and hybrid are beautys....congrats man

Thanks, the money I made on the Radion, and from selling this Bertex helped pay for the skimmer. This Hybrid is out of this world. It is so solid and well crafted it's incomparable to any light I've owned. Dave creates nothing short of a masterpiece, hats off to him!

Steensj2004

Skimmer looked to be doing its thing this AM, not broken in yet. Have it in about 7-7.5" of water. Manf. states exactly 8.5" is the perfect height for the water. I might lower it aproximately and inch. It seems to just barely be able to be in the right adjustment at where i have it. Lowering it will probably help. The pump being inside the skimmer is AWESOME, fits so much better then that Vertex and leaves more room, Now I need to get this light hung and the Fuge going!!!

Steensj2004

Sigh, Cant figure which pins on this bluefish to plug this thing into my light, as well as which side of the plug is up and which side is down.....sigh

Steensj2004

Hanging as we speak. Dave, this light is so awesome I can't stand it. I officially own the nicest thing I've had to date. This thing is a Ferrari.

6102CFF9-7C99-477B-B81E-32A195C59C15_zps

Steensj2004

Review on this new skimmer:

NYOS Quantum 120 Protein Skimmer

Pros:

-Compact Size

-Performance( so far)

-Construction

Cons:

-Cost

-No Drain On Collection Cup?

I was skeptical as to how good this skimmer was really going to be. It requires assembly, more then usual( or at least compared to the other skimmers I've owned).

39B12A5B-3E0A-4FD5-A128-8FF38A231316_zps

the base must be removed and the pump installed.

0CEB201B-50FB-4058-BCBF-17BE34A60FC0_zps

Four screws on the base and two on the pump bracket. I found I also had to loosen the other bracket screws to get the pump installed.

EB8E2D63-67E4-4758-859F-6E4AFD53535C_zps

The construction is top notch, amazing. I found m only complaint was there is no AUX drain for the collection cup? :huh: Odd, I wouldn't have thought this was an accident as well as this was designed, it would be easy enough to add one though.

The bubble plate is interesting. I am sure there are some mechanics to the design that are above my head, but it looks fancy!

85D109B6-B2DF-4F48-A075-1A12DDC8C427_zps

The internal pump made it very easy to fit into the sump, unlike my Vertex. There are 3 adjustments. You have a standard adjustment on the Main tube, a secondary adjustment for water level, and you air adjustment. IT was very easy to adjust and it began skimming in less than 24 hours!

C8220502-703B-42C1-AF13-72EABB3FB464_zps

Skimming pretty wet, but this is what it produced in the last 36 or so hours:

873D481B-0274-4921-84F9-0B86B41EFB2F_zps

The pump is virtually as silent as it can be, I cannot hear the skimmer running.

I am very happy with this skimmer, the parts line up and the quality is amazing. The price might be a turn off for most people, but the Vertex Omega isn't much cheaper. While the Vertex is a GREAT skimmer, this is definitely better built. Definitely a good investment!

Review on this new skimmer:

NYOS Quantum 120 Protein Skimmer

Pros:

-Compact Size

-Performance( so far)

-Construction

Cons:

-Cost

-No Drain On Collection Cup?

I was skeptical as to how good this skimmer was really going to be. It requires assembly, more then usual( or at least compared to the other skimmers I've owned).

39B12A5B-3E0A-4FD5-A128-8FF38A231316_zps

the base must be removed and the pump installed.

0CEB201B-50FB-4058-BCBF-17BE34A60FC0_zps

Four screws on the base and two on the pump bracket. I found I also had to loosen the other bracket screws to get the pump installed.

EB8E2D63-67E4-4758-859F-6E4AFD53535C_zps

The construction is top notch, amazing. I found m only complaint was there is no AUX drain for the collection cup? :huh: Odd, I wouldn't have thought this was an accident as well as this was designed, it would be easy enough to add one though.

The bubble plate is interesting. I am sure there are some mechanics to the design that are above my head, but it looks fancy!

85D109B6-B2DF-4F48-A075-1A12DDC8C427_zps

The internal pump made it very easy to fit into the sump, unlike my Vertex. There are 3 adjustments. You have a standard adjustment on the Main tube, a secondary adjustment for water level, and you air adjustment. IT was very easy to adjust and it began skimming in less than 24 hours!

C8220502-703B-42C1-AF13-72EABB3FB464_zps

Skimming pretty wet, but this is what it produced in the last 36 or so hours:

873D481B-0274-4921-84F9-0B86B41EFB2F_zps

The pump is virtually as silent as it can be, I cannot hear the skimmer running.

I am very happy with this skimmer, the parts line up and the quality is amazing. The price might be a turn off for most people, but the Vertex Omega isn't much cheaper. While the Vertex is a GREAT skimmer, this is definitely better built. Definitely a good investment!

Everything looks great so far.Quick question on the skimmer... are there any holes in the lid of the collection cup? Thats a bit of a bummer they chose not to include a drain. Its an awesome looking skimmer nonetheless.

Steensj2004

Everything looks great so far.Quick question on the skimmer... are there any holes in the lid of the collection cup? Thats a bit of a bummer they chose not to include a drain. Its an awesome looking skimmer nonetheless.

Thanks! There are slots in the lid, you can see them somewhat in this picture. The lid has some kind of protective film, but the slots are there...

D156A353-30ED-485E-BEA7-B8E96CB996B9_zps

Steensj2004

Side note, on this hybrid, anyone know if the bluefish controls the T5 bulbs as well? I can't seem to figure out how to turn them on and off automatically. Or do need. Timer/ hook them up to my controller?

I believe t5 would be through timer, bluefish would just control the leds and Gratz on the hybrid btw, mine should be shipping Tuesday woot woot

jedimasterben

Well, it's actually pretty easy to do with the bluefish, you just have to hook up one of the channels to a 3v activated 120v relay, wire that into the power going to the ballast, set that dimming channel to peak at 100%, and then it will turn that channel on for around 1/3 of your total photoperiod.

Well, it's actually pretty easy to do with the bluefish, you just have to hook up one of the channels to a 3v activated 120v relay, wire that into the power going to the ballast, set that dimming channel to peak at 100%, and then it will turn that channel on for around 1/3 of your total photoperiod.

Got a lead of a good spot to pick up that relay?

Spiderguardnano

I may have to try that skimmer, I'm getting really tired of vertex skimmer.

Matt what don't you like about the skimmer?

Archived