Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

It's really inconsistent, one week it'll work great and the next it will overflow.

Weird, mind was kicking total ass man. This new skimmer is the nicest one I've ever had or seen( not that there's aren't better ones out there).

Well, it's actually pretty easy to do with the bluefish, you just have to hook up one of the channels to a 3v activated 120v relay, wire that into the power going to the ballast, set that dimming channel to peak at 100%, and then it will turn that channel on for around 1/3 of your total photoperiod.

Easy huh, Hehehehe, maybe I just hook the T5 power cord into my controller and set the time that way?

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

Suggestions needed for a webcam. I have the apex and the bluefish to control it, however unsure if the bluefish mini supports this yet.

Steensj2004

Damm to awesome

Was it pretty easy to calibrate unlike the good o vertex

I didn't have much issue with the vertex once I got the water level right.... But yes, yes it is a beast skimmer so far!

Steens,

I've read about every post on this build and finally decided to post. The stand looks amazing.. I'm thinking about building a 60g Cube and would love to have something similar to put it on. Not sure if you posted it or not but how much $ did you have in materials for it?

Couple questions:

Did you get the noise in the overflow straightened out?

How do you like your lighting setup?

Why not use a couple Kessils (Not trying to start shit here, just a simple question)

Don't gotta tell me. I'm kind of just gonna ease off posting in my build. If you don't have tits and not a post whore no one looks at anyways.

plainrt, It's insane how much attention gets diverted from everyone elses threads because of ^^^^ It's one of the first things I noticed on this forum.

Steensj2004

Steens,

I've read about every post on this build and finally decided to post. The stand looks amazing.. I'm thinking about building a 60g Cube and would love to have something similar to put it on. Not sure if you posted it or not but how much $ did you have in materials for it?

Couple questions:

Did you get the noise in the overflow straightened out?

How do you like your lighting setup?

Why not use a couple Kessils (Not trying to start shit here, just a simple question)

plainrt, It's insane how much attention gets diverted from everyone elses threads because of ^^^^ It's one of the first things I noticed on this forum.

Thanks for stopping by!!! Ill answer your questions before I update on the tank progress.

1.I have about 160ish in the materials.

2. Overflow still a little noisy. Now that the skimmer is silent, and the water level was raised, its much better. I still get a gurggle, but it is what it is.

3. I wouldn't give this light up. You'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers, lol.

4. If I was going to use anything lighting wise, it would be Radion if it isn't Nanobox. The shimmer is present with the T5/LED combo, and I really wanted the advantage of the Hybrid combo. It was explained to me by JediBen and the logic was flawless.

Tank is having problems. Not sure WTF is going on. Lost 3 fish, for whatever reason, no idea.

Ammonia-0ppm

Nitrates >10ppm

Phosphates 0- barely readable

Alk-8

Calcium -400

Mag 1350-ish

Temp-79.5

PH- 8.1

All tested with Salifert

I have no idea what the deal is. Copper Banded, Anthias, and the clown is looking bad. The Wrasse is just fine, all m inverts are great, and the corals are fine. I just put a Frogspawn and a Acid Reflux zoa in, and those are doing great. I am at a loss as to what the hell is going on. 24 hours, all three, gone. They were eating fine yesterday....

Steensj2004

Anyone have an opinion on this light for my refugium. Considered this with CoralComp. gooseneck, it would work great. I also considered waiting for the new Nanobox Strip lights, but no idea how long till they come out. Cost is about 100.00 for both. Advice? I know there are other options, however, the compact design with the Par38 and gooseneck is appealing to me....

http://coralcompulsion.com/led/PAR-BULBS/led-21w-REF-GRO

http://coralcompulsion.com/par38-lamp-clamp-fixture

Just got that light today. Haven't had the time to set it up yet, but every review I've read have been raves. As far as hanging it, I just going to use a corded socket attached to the stand hanging over the sump. Kinda wish the light was able to be dimmed, seems like a lot for such a small area, but gonna give it a shot.

Good luck with getting the tank back to normal. Seems like 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Total shame, tank is looking great.

Steensj2004

Just got that light today. Haven't had the time to set it up yet, but every review I've read have been raves. As far as hanging it, I just going to use a corded socket attached to the stand hanging over the sump. Kinda wish the light was able to be dimmed, seems like a lot for such a small area, but gonna give it a shot.

Good luck with getting the tank back to normal. Seems like 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Total shame, tank is looking great.

Thanks man. Yeah, hard to figure out as the water quality is on point as far as I can test it. Salinity is spot on at 1.025 too. I have no idea what to do. Wondering if I have some lasting effect from the ," Great Tapwater Wife Blunder" of 2015 :happy:

I think I might grab that Par light and I found some cheap Par 38 Goosenecks on Ebay( 25.00). Although I might hang back and wait to see what Dave does with his new strip lights. I don't need anything fancy, no need for a controller. But I wanted to get this up and running. Hmmmm

Also, going to scrap the ,"Y" idea with the return going to the refugium. I plan to get another small pump and use it to supply the Fuge. Either that or re-route the inlet into the fuge. :unsure:

WAIT :)

-D

But I am IMPATIENT DAAAAAVE! :lol:

Its ok, I need to get the inlet worked out into the fuge first. I am unhappy with it currently.

lilmatty5dimes

Thanks for stopping by!!! Ill answer your questions before I update on the tank progress.

1.I have about 160ish in the materials.

2. Overflow still a little noisy. Now that the skimmer is silent, and the water level was raised, its much better. I still get a gurggle, but it is what it is.

3. I wouldn't give this light up. You'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers, lol.

4. If I was going to use anything lighting wise, it would be Radion if it isn't Nanobox. The shimmer is present with the T5/LED combo, and I really wanted the advantage of the Hybrid combo. It was explained to me by JediBen and the logic was flawless.

That's really not bad for materials considering how good it looks. I am still learning about lighting etc but I just got a kessil a160we to go over my IM 8g. I love the insane shimmer from the kessils but I know there's more to it than all that.. At this point I'm all about bang for the buck right now and I got the Kessil for $165 from a local reefer so I went with it. I'd love to read about the hybrid logic if its posted anywhere.

Sorry to hear about the Fish die off.. Hopefully you get everything straightened out sooner than later. Cheers.

Steensj2004

10 gallon water change, Media change, and some new coral! Pics later.

Am I the only one that loves maintenance as much as everything else on their tank?

Steensj2004

New torch, green with yellow tips. Not all the way out yet....

964703C7-F5CE-41D6-A4BE-6A7C07CA457F_zps

Also my starter coral, an acan. Not to pretty, but very happy and puffy!

BA7C06B0-7F50-4260-8914-662FA03FAA70_zps

I also have a Jason Fox,"Acid Reflux" single zoa, and hammer, but dang iPhone takea crap pictures. Want a new camera, but sooooo many frags can be bought for the cost of one.

Not to happy with the Gyre, the corals seem as a whole, unhappy with the flow. Maybe I need to mess with the settings?

NorthGaHillbilly

New torch, green with yellow tips. Not all the way out yet....

964703C7-F5CE-41D6-A4BE-6A7C07CA457F_zps

Also my starter coral, an acan. Not to pretty, but very happy and puffy!

BA7C06B0-7F50-4260-8914-662FA03FAA70_zps

I also have a Jason Fox,"Acid Reflux" single zoa, and hammer, but dang iPhone takea crap pictures. Want a new camera, but sooooo many frags can be bought for the cost of one.

Not to happy with the Gyre, the corals seem as a whole, unhappy with the flow. Maybe I need to mess with the settings?

how high do you have it turned up?

Steensj2004

how high do you have it turned up?

Meh, maybe 40-50%. I dunno if it's my rock work, or just the way it creates flow. I'll have to mess with it. I might switch to 2x mp10.

Thinking about all LPS with only a few select SPS anyway.

NorthGaHillbilly

Meh, maybe 40-50%. I dunno if it's my rock work, or just the way it creates flow. I'll have to mess with it. I might switch to 2x mp10.

Thinking about all LPS with only a few select SPS anyway.

I havent delt with a gyre myself, but if you go MP, make it a 40, the MP10s are toys in comparison for any decent size tank. I tried a mp10 and sold it a few days later, but I REALLY like the 40.

Steensj2004

I havent delt with a gyre myself, but if you go MP, make it a 40, the MP10s are toys in comparison for any decent size tank. I tried a mp10 and sold it a few days later, but I REALLY like the 40.

Should I go one, or two. Looking for some alt. flow....Maybe a 10 and a 40? Can I get that info on the fuge light again please. Headed out to secure that shiz in the AM..... Need a different fixture possibly. Wish I had a short gooseneck with a normal socket on it, and a way to clamp to the side of the sump. What kind of bulb was that? Was it an LED 6500k? Afraid of anything other then led because of heat....

Gah, too much booze for serious convo, lol!

NorthGaHillbilly

Should I go one, or two. Looking for some alt. flow....Maybe a 10 and a 40? Can I get that info on the fuge light again please. Headed out to secure that shiz in the AM..... Need a different fixture possibly. Wish I had a short gooseneck with a normal socket on it, and a way to clamp to the side of the sump. What kind of bulb was that? Was it an LED 6500k? Afraid of anything other then led because of heat....

Gah, too much booze for serious convo, lol!

LOL, Im a few in too broski.

Ive got my return with ~500 GPH and the MP40 at ~30%. I had the wp10 running at first, with the idea that I needed another source of flow, but things are looking better after switching to just the return, and the 40 running higher than it was before. The WP is just in there incase the power goes out.

The bulb is a CF 3000K flood light, built in reflector. I like having it mounted up on the stand mainly to keep down on equipment clutter down around the sump/

Steensj2004

LOL, Im a few in too broski.

Ive got my return with ~500 GPH and the MP40 at ~30%. I had the wp10 running at first, with the idea that I needed another source of flow, but things are looking better after switching to just the return, and the 40 running higher than it was before. The WP is just in there incase the power goes out.

The bulb is a CF 3000K flood light, built in reflector. I like having it mounted up on the stand mainly to keep down on equipment clutter down around the sump/

Gotcha, I suppose I might off this Gyre after I snag a mp40. Might go used or old style, save some chedder for corals etc. This Gyre moves some water, no doubt. But it's not very gentle, one click upnisnto mich and one click back isn't enough. Maybe the position/ settings are my issue?

I'll check that out tomorrow, just don't wanna spend to much on a fuge light, yah know?

Steensj2004

Nom, Nom, Nom!

30288100-181B-4F86-942E-122E5AA22BB9_zps

Crappy pic of Jason Fox Acid Reflux:

14F372DE-E357-4BFE-B7B9-BD2E6B8B8EB5_zps

Out and happy! Never seen a torch like this, small, thin tentacles and pretty small overall?

44A60FE8-0581-4091-AA2D-639E338EAF0C_zps

Archived