Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

Im partial to SPS only but...

Just do a mixed system? Get SPS as the center pieces and pick your favorites, then fill the rest of the space with lps and such.

Considered this.^

Asked my LFS to look out for some nice Sea Fans, currently waiting on him to grab/ find me:

-Tyree Pink Lemonade

-Red Planet

-Blue Oregon Torte

Waiting on Frags off the LFS:

- A Frag of his Rainbow Monti

-Superman Digi

He also has a yellow torch I want something fierce.... its expensive, lol.

hoping for him to find me some nice button/meat corals like NGAHB posted on this thread the other day.

REALLY want some of these...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+601+1160&pcatid=1160

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+601+1514&pcatid=1514

Being non-photo scares me off....I have a great filtration system, but the feedings make me nervous for NPS, having never tried them. I have bee successful for some time with SPS, but not sure how hard they really are.

Side note, tired of trying to get good flow with this Gyre 130, think it's getting sold for some Ecotech/s. Votes? 2x- MP10 or 1xMP40?

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

New Pictures, Some of the new Damsels( can anyone help ID)

F38BC149-C973-4D64-B546-73A5CF85FF0F_zps

I don't think I would buy fish, especially damsels, that I wasn't sure of lol

Chrysiptera talboti, one of the less aggressive of the damsels. Pretty much any in that whole genus are generally pretty peaceful, I've got three different species of them right now. I'd have more, but damned Blue Zoo :angry:

Steensj2004

I don't think I would buy fish, especially damsels, that I wasn't sure of lol

Chrysiptera talboti, one of the less aggressive of the damsels. Pretty much any in that whole genus are generally pretty peaceful, I've got three different species of them right now. I'd have more, but damned Blue Zoo :angry:

Right, LFS buddy said it was less aggressive, I just can't remember what the name was, or what he called them. They have been pretty shy, and stick together, they are really beautiful. I always trust him as he has been doing this for 40 years, runs the shop by himself, and carries the best/cleanest livestock around.

Blue Zoo giving you issues, huh?

jedimasterben

Right, LFS buddy said it was less aggressive, I just can't remember what the name was, or what he called them. They have been pretty shy, and stick together, they are really beautiful. I always trust him as he has been doing this for 40 years, runs the shop by himself, and carries the best/cleanest livestock around.

Blue Zoo giving you issues, huh?

Lost six of eleven fish (literally all damsels and chromis), the latest of which is the $50 C. starcki. :angry:

Lost six of eleven fish (literally all damsels and chromis), the latest of which is the $50 C. starcki. :angry:

My starcki just died too, they're beautiful

Steensj2004

Yeah,that's uncool. That fish would have to go! I came close to getting one because they are so pretty, a few min of research online was all I needed lol.

Steensj2004

How is that skimmer working out for you?

Completely quiet, compact, and pulling this every 48-ish hours. Thing is killing it, best skimmer I e ever owned. I'd highly recommend it. Albeit, I'm sure there are better ones out there, but superb performance. I don't regret one dime of what it cost!

92690E31-7FA1-4A76-B2CD-0061FE8E5FF0_zps

Completely quiet, compact, and pulling this every 48-ish hours. Thing is killing it, best skimmer I e ever owned. I'd highly recommend it. Albeit, I'm sure there are better ones out there, but superb performance. I don't regret one dime of what it cost!

92690E31-7FA1-4A76-B2CD-0061FE8E5FF0_zps

Glad to hear it. I am starting to think my AquaMaxx CO-1 is too big for my tank and I might be looking for other options sooner or later. Just wanted to get your opinion since we have similarly sized tanks.

Steensj2004

Glad to hear it. I am starting to think my AquaMaxx CO-1 is too big for my tank and I might be looking for other options sooner or later. Just wanted to get your opinion since we have similarly sized tanks.

I obviously can't speak for the aqua max, but this thing is in a class of its own. Easy to disassemble to clean/ maintain, excellent quality and construction. Top notch. My Vertex Omgea 130 was similar, but still not as nice. Material was of lower quality, and was louder. The adjustments on the Quantum are excellent as well, the Vertex was harder to tune in. Both skim well once they are dialed in. For the 400.00-ish price range they are both top notch. This NYOS is less sensitive and skims a bit harder. The rough/fine water level adjustments, as well as air adjustment make tuning very percise. This is one of the best equipment purchases I've ever made. Maybe it's a purely subjective review, lol.
Steensj2004

Ordered a few macros from a fellow reefer in this forum:

-Strings of Pearls Macro-algae

-Red Branching Macro-algae

Pics look great and he has great reviews, he shipped first thing this AM, which means literally 10 hours handling time!

On a side note, anyone have a suggestion for cleaning out the bottom of a sump chamber? I ran flow a little to fast through my reactor and shot some GFO into the floor of the sump. Considered a Cobalt EXT in-line pump to suck it out. I also wouldn't mind having the pump for water changes as well......any better ideas?

lilmatty5dimes

Tanks coming along great. Those sea fans look awesome I would say if you were closer we could split them. That skimmate looks yummy.

NorthGaHillbilly

Ordered a few macros from a fellow reefer in this forum:

-Strings of Pearls Macro-algae

-Red Branching Macro-algae

Pics look great and he has great reviews, he shipped first thing this AM, which means literally 10 hours handling time!

On a side note, anyone have a suggestion for cleaning out the bottom of a sump chamber? I ran flow a little to fast through my reactor and shot some GFO into the floor of the sump. Considered a Cobalt EXT in-line pump to suck it out. I also wouldn't mind having the pump for water changes as well......any better ideas?

bucket head shop vac from HD, dont know how I survived without one

16402591294_f8907e20ed_c.jpg

Steensj2004

bucket head shop vac from HD, dont know how I survived without one

16402591294_f8907e20ed_c.jpg

Picked one up, dude, best 21.00 I've spent in my life as a reefer. Awesome! Thanks NGAHB!

Steensj2004

Some updates, been busy and haven't had a chance....

Green Monti w/ Bright green polyps and Purple Rim:

067EF5D8-C08E-4E2C-86CD-F6779E10F110_zps

8CAC1DD8-875F-41BD-A9B9-06799FEE66EC_zps

Sour Apple:

BE3DE841-4B01-4B21-913A-E42F84AA762F_zps

A42CD596-9170-4B52-8D2E-28586F37712C_zps

Purple Gorg( Hasn't been too happy, moved it today to a bit lower flow, starting to extend polyps now):

061934CB-4BD4-44C6-9B96-20F0C8A55C52_zps

FTS:

004EB6A6-7250-4163-A373-862337C807C7_zps

Hammer:

B8FF9822-0BE5-4FD1-B8C4-3415ED111EAC_zps

Steensj2004

Hey the tank is looking good! Let me see some updated pics of the elegance

Will Do, I'll have t otake a few this afternoon after work. Moved the elegance to a new spot last night, low flow medium light. Hopefully I can see a differencne this afternoon.

Suggestions needed. Tired of this damn Gyre, flow isnt at all what I wanted. Should I go with:

2x- MP10 esW( White box)

1x- MP40 QD

Selling a Gyre 130 if anyone interested, lol.

hypostatic

Will Do, I'll have t otake a few this afternoon after work. Moved the elegance to a new spot last night, low flow medium light. Hopefully I can see a differencne this afternoon.

Suggestions needed. Tired of this damn Gyre, flow isnt at all what I wanted. Should I go with:

2x- MP10 esW( White box)

1x- MP40 QD

Generally with elegances the tentacle length corresponds to the flow. Heavy flow makes em short, low flow makes em long. With no flow (if i turn off the pumps for feeding), the tentacles get kinda withered. Mine gets very low/gentle flow.

I'd say go for the jebao rw4

For my tank I use just a regular powerhead and a hydor flo

2x- MP10 esW( White box)

1x- MP40 QD

Selling a Gyre 130 if anyone interested, lol.

What dont you like about the gyre? I love mine. But dont do a 40, would be too much. 2 10s dialed down is better

Steensj2004

Dual MP10.

-Dave

What dont you like about the gyre? I love mine. But dont do a 40, would be too much. 2 10s dialed down is better

Thats the direction I was leaning. considering doign the old white box( 199.00 for a wireless as opposed to 280 for QD). I'm not sure, I just can't seem to get flow across the tank well, and it seems like it's either beating my stuff to death or not enough. I am not a big fan of the modes either....might play with it a while longer, but unlikely.......

Generally with elegances the tentacle length corresponds to the flow. Heavy flow makes em short, low flow makes em long. With no flow (if i turn off the pumps for feeding), the tentacles get kinda withered. Mine gets very low/gentle flow.

Meh, I don't lke Jebao, lol

Hopefully I can get it happy, it barely opens up, stays looking like a taco and open only on one end. Has 3 Mouths and only ever shows one....

Steensj2004

94A4C85F-A4C1-4F51-BCF6-1F238612C4B3_zps

Stays puffed up and healthy looking, just wrapped up like a damn taco. Sometimes it opens a little.... Dunno, moved it all over the place....

hypostatic

Oh wow, yeah, if that's how it looks like most of the time then it is in pretty bad shape. Have you tried lower lighting also? Maybe put a screen or something above the elegance to create some shade

Steensj2004

Oh wow, yeah, if that's how it looks like most of the time then it is in pretty bad shape. Have you tried lower lighting also? Maybe put a screen or something above the elegance to create some shade

It's always fully puffed up, it just stays rolled up. Moved again to real low flow, I'll try a screen

Archived