Top Shelf Aquatics

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

if its a decent carbon, you might be overdoing it, I think Ive got a 1/3 cup in a bag, it is ROX carbon tho. I worry about the same thing, I end up with all sorts of chemicals on my hands, and I have a freak out every few weeks thinking ive contaminated something.

Ive seen alot of LPS that were not extending well, will really stretch out after a black out, if it is over lighting that’s the issue, Ive got a suspicion that that might be the case.

I gotcha, I ran out of Roxx Carbon, this is come cheaper stuff.....

I think you might be right, I really have no way to tell the power on this new light, I might very well be overdoing it. Mid day I am at 70% blues and 55% whites. Blackout tomorrow per your suggestion, results when I get home.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

I gotcha, I ran out of Roxx Carbon, this is come cheaper stuff.....

I think you might be right, I really have no way to tell the power on this new light, I might very well be overdoing it. Mid day I am at 70% blues and 55% whites. Blackout tomorrow per your suggestion, results when I get home.

make sure to give it a full cycle, not lights tomorrow, let them turn on normally on friday

Just did one on the little tank, lights accidentally got left on a higher setting when we were gone for a few days and things were looking stressed.

Steensj2004

make sure to give it a full cycle, not lights tomorrow, let them turn on normally on friday

Roger that. What about ambient light?

NorthGaHillbilly

Roger that. What about ambient light?

I dont try and block it out, but it is pretty dark in the man room, where the big tank is. It might be more dramatic if you can keep it on the darker side.

Disclaimer, this whole theory might be a dillusion. But It certainly hasent hurt anything

Steensj2004

I dont try and block it out, but it is pretty dark in the man room, where the big tank is. It might be more dramatic if you can keep it on the darker side.

Disclaimer, this whole theory might be a dillusion. But It certainly hasent hurt anything

roger that

I woulda shat a brick if I plugged that light in and all power to the tank went out and part of your house! And your tank is still pretty young right? I've noticed more improvement and growth now that I'm past the 6 month mark.

Steensj2004

I woulda shat a brick if I plugged that light in and all power to the tank went out and part of your house! And your tank is still pretty young right? I've noticed more improvement and growth now that I'm past the 6 month mark.

Yeah, I about stroked out..... Everything shut down.... Return pump, skimmer, everything on the Apex. Lights went out.... I was going to lose it, lol!!

I use the Coral Compulsion Par30. It grows chaeto like a champ. It will serve you well.

Good to know! I dragged my feet but finally decided to get a good light. I want to grow more than just chaeto, maybe so high light plants, and it had good reviews with most any macro. I'm excited!!!

HarryPotter

Ive been reading this thread on and off for the last few days, and just caught up. Really beautiful tank and equipment, and well documented as well. Enjoyed the hell out of reading it, and I may be *borrowing* a few aspects, as always!

Thanks,

Harry

Arkayology

Yeah, I about stroked out..... Everything shut down.... Return pump, skimmer, everything on the Apex. Lights went out.... I was going to lose it, lol!!

Good to know! I dragged my feet but finally decided to get a good light. I want to grow more than just chaeto, maybe so high light plants, and it had good reviews with most any macro. I'm excited!!!

When I had dragon's breath in my fuge it glowed mostly orange under this bulb. It was crazy.

Steensj2004

Ive been reading this thread on and off for the last few days, and just caught up. Really beautiful tank and equipment, and well documented as well. Enjoyed the hell out of reading it, and I may be *borrowing* a few aspects, as always!

Thanks,

Harry

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it! If you have questions, by all means feel free to ask.

I run 100ml of carbon passively, I'd cut back a lot if running it in the reactor if it were up to me. Dirty your tank up a bit. :)

Steensj2004

I run 100ml of carbon passively, I'd cut back a lot if running it in the reactor if it were up to me. Dirty your tank up a bit. :)

Really? Ok, ll do that then, guess I've been running to much!

Just remember too, your tank is extremely young.

Good point, guess in the confussion I hadn't thought about that...

Steensj2004

Dear USPS,

Way to protect the box marked,"Fragile...." <_<

D2A86311-28A0-4D1D-BC4B-C26251E62771_zps

Floating new pets and Macro, moar pics to come! :lol: ( probably tomorrow as the lights are off for a blackout period)

F534FE0F-8AF0-414C-AD88-96F27AF02469_zps

Steensj2004

Flipped the light on for a split second to show corals and improvement.... Looking even better today....

35CEEDA4-EBC4-4AA0-B36A-867986749657_zps

0D8EAC41-D463-4BC0-8E0B-3D8664029373_zps

Steensj2004

UPDATE:

So, Blackout was completed yesterday,lights came on this AM, only at a much lower intensity. I have the lights down to 45% whites and 35% whites. The corals look 100x better and are very extended. I will ramp them up extremely slowly over the next month or so, shooting for a slightly higher setting as the tanks is pretty dark. However, the frogspawn is falling apart and never recovered. However, the two more expensive torches look great. Everything seems to be doing better. I will get some pics up in a while.

Steensj2004

Plate:

2B2BF417-E362-45AC-ABFA-60B068EF1C04_zps

Hermit running after some food:

D4CD6B11-647E-49C9-96EB-AB6D3B73F7B6_zps

Gorgonians:

79476B79-0BE7-4940-A09B-AEF4E571ECAA_zps

D4021075-3B52-4E45-93BB-4F5B896CA894_zps

Torches:

A71D5A0D-8C32-4E41-A5F5-4FC05305B7A5_zps

29517816-457C-4D51-A4EB-E491CA0EA67F_zps

Emerald Crab:

81E92D2D-9A72-48E3-A6ED-6421439AFC02_zps

Calibrated the PH probe today, After work I decided I was tired of reading the Apex manual online when I needed it, soooo:

F299F242-4328-4918-8308-8EE2314D273D_zps

Section tabs and all! :lol:

FD447A23-0450-4D12-8432-1B71A258E87B_zps

Steensj2004

So, everything seems to be doing better, and I am pretty happy with stuff right now. I am having an issue with a slight cloudiness in the tank. I run a filter sock but I am wondering if I should use a finer one? Anyone have a suggestion for polishing water clarity?

Steensj2004

What dimensions are your tank? I probably missed them somewhere.

36 x 18 x 12 I believe

Can you do a review on the fuge bulb ppease

To early to say, So far I really like it. Quality construction, gooseneck is well built, and it puts off nearly zero heat. I will give a better review once I know the performance.

Went to court today to fight a traffic ticket from an accident a month ago......won. Woot Woot!!

So because I had the day off, I decided to stop by my favorite LFS to chill and BS, plus needed some more test kits. Picked up the Nyos ones again, I really love these things.

104CA1B5-9B79-4272-B79F-C1C1464FA075_zps

Current tank perams:

Alk:7.0

Calcium:390

Mag: 1330

Ph: 8.10

Salinity: 1.025

Temp: 79.8

Things are doing very well! Levels are back on point! Yay!

The owner( who has become a good friend) had to go to Pick up an order from the local airport. He asked me to ride along so he could park in the pickup area and leave his truck( can't leave it unattended). I agreed, when we got back he had this....

66931D29-6AA7-4D03-BF3D-FE8D7E770A71_zps

Amazing... had to have it. See through pink, darker pink speckles, and bright yellow tips.....man it's beautiful...

55B18951-0411-4FC2-8843-E512A54FC0FD_zps

Steensj2004

Nice. How much are those test kits? I've never found them locally.

Online you can get all, mag, calcium, nitrate, and phosphate for 110.00 I believe I think they range around 20.00 individually

I've compared them to my Salifert and they are on par... I love em

Archived