Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wretched's JBJ 45RL

Wretched

Well, as you guys know i've been messing with the tank and running into micro bubbles since switching my skimmer into 2nd chamber and upgrading my stock pumps to the MJ1200. I let it run for 4 days without any adjustments hoping they'd subside... they didn't. I moved my skimmer back to chamber 1(overflow) and it's no longer creating microbubbles; but my skimmer still continues not to foam. Not sure what's going on, but my tank is still looking great. I find it extremely hard to believe my tank is too clean...

Here's an updated photo.

2015-07-06_14.26.40_zpsljycrkpb.jpg

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, tank is looking great! Im still having trouble finding the sweet spot on my skimmer too. Thinking of maybe moving it upwards a little.

Wow, tank is looking great! Im still having trouble finding the sweet spot on my skimmer too. Thinking of maybe moving it upwards a little.

Thank you. You and me both bro.. I may raise mine a little higher as well. I used to get skim, dark as well, but I wanted to stop relying on that acruell phosphate pad to get my skimmer foaming... so I moved it. At this point, i'm about ready to throw in the towel and say F it... use the pad to kickstart the skimmer.

HarryPotter

Thank you. You and me both bro.. I may raise mine a little higher as well. I used to get skim, dark as well, but I wanted to stop relying on that acruell phosphate pad to get my skimmer foaming... so I moved it. At this point, i'm about ready to throw in the towel and say F it... use the pad to kickstart the skimmer.

Man I don't get it.... I just took mine out and cleaned the whole thing, and within 5 seconds I can get foam halfway up the pre-cup tube....

Another video?

Man I don't get it.... I just took mine out and cleaned the whole thing, and within 5 seconds I can get foam halfway up the pre-cup tube....

Another video?

Bro. I have no clue... The only thing I can think of is tank is clean, but even then it should still foam... My tunze 9002 did. Let me get another video up. I cut off the cylinder that brings in the air and put an adjustable air valve on to see what I can get, nothing. Same result.

How goes it man?

Uploading a video now. The tank is still doing well... Not sure what my nitrates or anything are but as long as my corals are looking like they do, I don't touch/test. I'm still upset about the skimmer. Maybe i'll raise it higher, doesn't seem to produce at all under more water unless the pad is in(even with less water it needed the pad but produced way dark skim)

Here's the video:

Im gonna go with too clean of water being the issue. Mine started skimming like crazy for a day or 2 after I added the live rock in my fuge basket, then it kind of just stopped. Then again my tank is way too new and I dont really have enough in there to put the skimmer to work.

Im gonna go with too clean of water being the issue. Mine started skimming like crazy for a day or 2 after I added the live rock in my fuge basket, then it kind of just stopped. Then again my tank is way too new and I dont really have enough in there to put the skimmer to work.

That seems to be the consensus, but it's just super hard to believe... Other than nitrates climbing, how can I test?

HarryPotter

That seems to be the consensus, but it's just super hard to believe... Other than nitrates climbing, how can I test?

Put it in a bucket with some shitty water- old tank water that had a jumbo shrimp rotting in it for a week with a powerhead.

That'll be a good test ;)

I couldn't get much foam in my AquaC Remora hanging on the back of my 29. I had algae all over the tank but the water was apparently too clean. 1 pinch of reef roids and it foamed right up. Different style of skimmer though so I'm not sure it applies here.

Interesting. I'll try that out.. I still would figure the skimmer would foam and pull water or light tea.. Doesn't even get that far

Ok so this is awkward.. My skimmer is foaming. I just went back into the fish room to take it out and place in a bucket.. And its foaming. This has to be the most frustrating finicky skimmer I have ever dealt with. I raised it a couple inches out of the water about 3 Hours ago.

HarryPotter

Interesting. I'll try that out.. I still would figure the skimmer would foam and pull water or light tea.. Doesn't even get that far

Hey Wretched- I know you mentioned it earlier, but I forgot.

What glass cleaner are you using that gets rid of the small green dots? My Nano-Mag isn't enough :(

After moving the skimmer out of the water about 2.5" it started foaming again.

20150706_174727_zps4uwzl0dz.jpg

But with this skimmers track record it'll stop =P. It's not feedings either. When I feed and it's skimming properly it'll stop for about an hour and produce foam again. This skimmer goes 3-5 days(longest I tested with no foam) without any foam. When the neck of the cup gets dirty, the water level rises... so it seems I must clean the neck every 3 days or so. Weird

Hey Wretched- I know you mentioned it earlier, but I forgot.

What glass cleaner are you using that gets rid of the small green dots? My Nano-Mag isn't enough :(

Check this link. I absolutely LOVE it. Should've got this 5 years ago. I never have to put hands into tank to clean my glass with Magic Eraser...

Also removes coraline and hard aglae...

http://www.marinedepot.com/Easy_Blade_(Glass_Only)_Algae_Magnets_Accessories_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Algae_Free_Sure_Flow_Sure_Grip-AF1311-FIMTAMAC-vi.html

Yea, out of nowhere... Just stopped working again. Back to just water lol. I haven't touched the tank, havent even been home.

Sooo, Zia is having an epic sale thread and I splooged... I ended up buying a bunch of z/p's for my 10g...again. Here's the list!

Blue tubbs - 4
Pink and Golds - 10
Mind Blowing Paly - 3
Killer Rainbow 2 -
Blue Smurfs - 1
Mohawk Paly - 3
Lunar Eclipse - 2
Miami Vice - 5
GSP - Large Chunk
Rainbow Cloves - M
Mystery Corals(Your choice!!!) - (25.00)

The GSP is for my 45 gallon, going to mount it on my back wall with my xenia and monti :D

Sooo, Zia is having an epic sale thread and I splooged... I ended up buying a bunch of z/p's for my 10g...again. Here's the list!

Blue tubbs - 4

Pink and Golds - 10

Mind Blowing Paly - 3

Killer Rainbow 2 -

Blue Smurfs - 1

Mohawk Paly - 3

Lunar Eclipse - 2

Miami Vice - 5

GSP - Large Chunk

Rainbow Cloves - M

Mystery Corals(Your choice!!!) - (25.00)

The GSP is for my 45 gallon, going to mount it on my back wall with my xenia and monti :D

Friggin awesome list bro. Niiiice

Friggin awesome list bro. Niiiice

Seeing those almost make me want to start a z/p garden in a 10g as well. Sounds like a good haul Wretched.

He's got some excellent stuff for CHEAP. To cover shipping, he's throwing in extra frags as well.. I kind of like the mystery corals, makes it a little more exciting not knowing what's going to come. By his pictures and list of corals for sell, I can only imagine that they will be nice indeed. After buying the frag pack from SlatCritters, it really motivated me to pick up more zoas, the orange and reds look amazing. Especially under blues. Last night I mounted down those frags with some epoxy, so they're kind of stressed. I hate the frag plug looks on the rock, but hopefully once they grow out it'll be amazing!

He's got some excellent stuff for CHEAP. To cover shipping, he's throwing in extra frags as well.. I kind of like the mystery corals, makes it a little more exciting not knowing what's going to come. By his pictures and list of corals for sell, I can only imagine that they will be nice indeed. After buying the frag pack from SlatCritters, it really motivated me to pick up more zoas, the orange and reds look amazing. Especially under blues. Last night I mounted down those frags with some epoxy, so they're kind of stressed. I hate the frag plug looks on the rock, but hopefully once they grow out it'll be amazing!

Absolutely, most of my cultivated reef order was their choice packs,not one regret about it. I would've ordered something from zia but just got 10 frags last week and have a few z&p's coming next week ;)

Archived