Pod Your Reef

Wretched's JBJ 45RL

Wretched

HarryPotter

Friday Night--> Monday night.

Is this a good level? Should I make it drier?

image.jpg1_zpsyhvudkok.jpg

Hey man I got off my lazy ass and measured my skimmer depth. From the suction cups to the waterline is exactly 9 1/2". Don't know if that helps,also I got mine even better dialed in by closing the holes a tad more than described. I have a little under a half cup from an empty cup in about 2 days from the slight change.

That's some nice skimming Harry

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday Night--> Monday night.

Is this a good level? Should I make it drier?image.jpg1_zpsyhvudkok.jpg

No it looks great buddy. The Cad lights skimmer rocks doesn't it? :D
HarryPotter

No it looks great buddy. The Cad lights skimmer rocks doesn't it? :D

Yeah it's so easy! I'm having some noise from the air intake though- any advice? I think I lost the included silencer, so maybe ebay will have one?

Just put an air valve at the end of it it'll quiet down, I tried to get a replacement hanging bracket for mine after it took them 6 months to respond they wanted 16 for the bracket and 13 shipping, no thsnks I'm not paying half the price I paid for the skimmer I'll figure something out,point being lol,just use the air valve it will save you some cash and headache (probably ) if not an old film container will work if you put the air tube through the cap and a hole in the other end.

Yeah it's so easy! I'm having some noise from the air intake though- any advice? I think I lost the included silencer, so maybe ebay will have one?

I get about half a cup in three or four days of very dark skimate

Hey man I got off my lazy ass and measured my skimmer depth. From the suction cups to the waterline is exactly 9 1/2". Don't know if that helps,also I got mine even better dialed in by closing the holes a tad more than described. I have a little under a half cup from an empty cup in about 2 days from the slight change.

That's some nice skimming Harry

That helps a lot! Unfortunately, I cant get that depth without removing the bracket. It's hard to believe that my tank is uber clean...not saying that it's not possible, it's just with that many fish I figured it'd be pretty dirty. I don't have any problems with algae, unless you count the typical green/brown dust on the glass ever 3-4 days. Here's my running my skimmer for like 12 hours on a wet skim.

20150629_103947_zpse7yehbpd.jpg

I dumped it and reduced the foam because that's way too wet for me(said no man ever :0)

When I run my skimmer to dry it seems to just build up in the cup...but then my water level rises and overflows.

Forgot to mention, all I run is chemi pure blue, purigen and filter floss. 2x monthly water changes(10 gals / water change)

HarryPotter

You can probably get rid of purigen as chemi blue has something similar in it :)

Haha I asked BOYD at RAP if it had purigen, and they said pretty much "no, but it has a cheap knockoff that works just as well" :lol:

Oh yea obviously it won't be name brand purigen just like an adhesive strip isn't a "band aid" lol. Same results though. I run it in my tank but probably will switch to a brs mini reactor for gfo /carbon.

HarryPotter

Oh yea obviously it won't be name brand purigen just like an adhesive strip isn't a "band aid" lol. Same results though. I run it in my tank but probably will switch to a brs mini reactor for gfo /carbon.

Can't really get a tumble going with the mini reactor though

HarryPotter

Don't need one if both are in the same reactor the carbon will pulverize the gfo if tumbled.

Right,but in a BRS single reactor you can do two separate layers- the carbon stuck and GFO tumbling. Look up the BRS videos!

I have a reactor, but it didn't work well for me. "If it's not broken don't fix it." That's why I haven't removed the purigen. I've always ran the combo and it's never failed me, so that's why I haven't removed it. I'm waiting on my shipment this morning, woo! It's been like 2 years since i've bought coral lol!

thecoralbeauty

That helps a lot! Unfortunately, I cant get that depth without removing the bracket. It's hard to believe that my tank is uber clean...not saying that it's not possible, it's just with that many fish I figured it'd be pretty dirty. I don't have any problems with algae, unless you count the typical green/brown dust on the glass ever 3-4 days. Here's my running my skimmer for like 12 hours on a wet skim.

20150629_103947_zpse7yehbpd.jpg

I dumped it and reduced the foam because that's way too wet for me(said no man ever :0)

When I run my skimmer to dry it seems to just build up in the cup...but then my water level rises and overflows.

Forgot to mention, all I run is chemi pure blue, purigen and filter floss. 2x monthly water changes(10 gals / water change)

bwahaha!

i have no skimmer or reactor or anything to speak of, so i'm no help there, but my brown/green dust buildup on glass is basically daily. i wonder why?

bwahaha!

i have no skimmer or reactor or anything to speak of, so i'm no help there, but my brown/green dust buildup on glass is basically daily. i wonder why?

Just excess nutrients from feeding, poop, and whatever else is in the tank. I used to get the green film daily, especially after feeding phytoplankton. In addition, I was only doing 5 gal water changes, so I upped it to 10 gals 2x monthly. Somewhere, there is phosphates/silicates hanging around. It's normal, even in a clean tank to get some type of algae. Mine doesn't start showing up on glass ultimately until like 4 days.

thecoralbeauty

hm. oddly enough i didn't start getting it until i switched to RO/DI water.

maybe i'll cut back on the feeding slightly. who knows.

You could always do like I did and try to caveman it on the baffle and snap the hanger for the skimmer hahaha. That's why mines the way it is,however it has worked better since I "modified it lol.

I'm having problems selling equipment that's damn near brand new lol. I like to keep things as is, just in case. I'm fine with skimming wet...

What's weird is I used to get this:

20150530_142630_zpseszfhjks.jpg

Then it stopped. This picture was about a month ago.

Oh yea, frags arrived and are being dipped and acclimated :)

thecoralbeauty

I'm having problems selling equipment that's damn near brand new lol. I like to keep things as is, just in case. I'm fine with skimming wet...

awaiting pictures! (actually that's just an excuse to not write this master's paper right now)- but really. i'm excited!

awaiting pictures! (actually that's just an excuse to not write this master's paper right now)- but really. i'm excited!

Haha! I have no clue what they are really... They're all closed i'm anxious. On one of the frags even out of the water I can see the skirts is bright orange on the zoa... Funny you mention, I was doing economics work until that door bell rang!

post-79628-0-81016500-1435686645_thumb.gif

Friggin Awesome.

thecoralbeauty

Here you go mwhitelock, here's my two kitties.

20150409_094323_zpstdiisqny.jpg

HAH my girl cat sits like that too! and they're getting along better with the cattle dog (though they do much better when my parents bring the dog to my house than when i bring the cats to their house)

considering kidnapping the cattle dog this weekend to go hiking since everyone and their mother is doing something fun except me lol

she hates fireworks anyway so it might be best to get out of dodge for the day...

HAH my girl cat sits like that too! and they're getting along better with the cattle dog (though they do much better when my parents bring the dog to my house than when i bring the cats to their house)

considering kidnapping the cattle dog this weekend to go hiking since everyone and their mother is doing something fun except me lol

she hates fireworks anyway so it might be best to get out of dodge for the day...

You should! Dogs are so much fun!! :D
thecoralbeauty

You should! Dogs are so much fun!! :D

she's such a sweetheart too, she's almost 12 now? i wish i had a dog, but i don't have a yard. some day!

Archived