Top Shelf Aquatics

Wretched's JBJ 45RL

Wretched

WHATTTTTTTTTT THATS AWESOME!!!!!!! THOSE DIMENSIONS THOUGH

Super stoked man!

It was a decision between the Cadlights 68 Versa, same one that Jon (Nanofreak79) has or the 66 gallon SC aquariums. It ended up being the SC for the fact of the dimensions. All my lighting is 24" and I think I can squeeze enough spread for 32", 36 may have been possible but I didnt want to push it too much.

What's crazy is that I ordered it today @ 1430 and I got a call from SC aquariums 15 minutes later asking if they could deliver it by 1600. Turns out their warehouse is in the same city as me.

Here's how she sits now :P My Oktoberfest Das Boot for reference on the size of the skimmer lol!

20150907_185230_zpsmiyq7pqf.jpg

Shit wretched, was about to nominate you for TOTM! But I can't wait for the new tank.

Wow! that's very considerate and I appreciate the thought of that! Thank you very much. I look forward to providing more for you guys as I go a long. I do not have any plans for more coral because my colonies are large and I want to keep them growing. I have lost many heads off my corals now because of no room for growth. It saddens me! But I do have plans for more colorful fish... I was never into the fish side as much as the coral, but that's about to change. I don't know much about fish, but it's time to get pumped and excited again about this hobby! Out of the depressing Death by shadows mood very soon!

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super stoked man!

It was a decision between the Cadlights 68 Versa, same one that Jon (Nanofreak79) has or the 66 gallon SC aquariums. It ended up being the SC for the fact of the dimensions. All my lighting is 24" and I think I can squeeze enough spread for 32", 36 may have been possible but I didnt want to push it too much.

What's crazy is that I ordered it today @ 1430 and I got a call from SC aquariums 15 minutes later asking if they could deliver it by 1600. Turns out their warehouse is in the same city as me.

Here's how she sits now :P My Oktoberfest Das Boot for reference on the size of the skimmer lol!

20150907_185230_zpsmiyq7pqf.jpg

Wow! that's very considerate and I appreciate the thought of that! Thank you very much. I look forward to providing more for you guys as I go a long. I do not have any plans for more coral because my colonies are large and I want to keep them growing. I have lost many heads off my corals now because of no room for growth. It saddens me! But I do have plans for more colorful fish... I was never into the fish side as much as the coral, but that's about to change. I don't know much about fish, but it's time to get pumped and excited again about this hobby! Out of the depressing Death by shadows mood very soon!

Hey least you have a boot of change left :)

Hey least you have a boot of change left :)

HA! I literally LOL. You sir, are correct... That's the change that I have to use for my new sand! :haha:

So... Progress was made today. Stand was built, plumbing was setup. Re arranged my office, got it how I want it... Next step, clean it up, vinegar bath the skimmer, hopefully start filling with water soon.

How should I go about doing this? Can I transfer my old rock into the 66 gallon as is? I've heard some say that it won't have an effect as long as I use the established rock. I've also heard others say use some older water as well into the new tank?

Also, I will be buying live sand and dumping it in the new tank, maybe run it for a week with the skimmer to skim out all the debris before transfering livestock and rock.

Should I make a new build thread?

20150910_152604%201_zps5bbpqalx.jpg

Looks awesome brother, how you doing?

I am hanging in there, lots going on with the VA. But I have this tank to keep me right for now! How are you sir?

Maybe you can shine some insight on the questions above

I upgraded from the 28 to 45.

First set up the new tank with the new live sand and transfer all of the live rock and new dry rock. Let it soft cycle (A week or so given the rock and media is from your old tank) and then start moving livestock over.

Worked for me fantastically- only "issue" was some diatoms from the new sand for a few weeks

I am hanging in there, lots going on with the VA. But I have this tank to keep me right for now! How are you sir?

Maybe you can shine some insight on the questions above

I am ok sir,can't complain I suppose, looks like harry got ya covered on the questions haha

I upgraded from the 28 to 45.

First set up the new tank with the new live sand and transfer all of the live rock and new dry rock. Let it soft cycle (A week or so given the rock and media is from your old tank) and then start moving livestock over.

Worked for me fantastically- only "issue" was some diatoms from the new sand for a few weeks

Ok, I think you're right as well with the others. I went from a 34 to 45(The one im currently using). Did you just dump the sand in and some new water? I can't remove any water from the tank until i'm ready to transfer livestock. It'll all be in one motion.

So how does this sound?

1) Add sand, straight from bag.

2) Fill up tank with RODI

3) Add salt in tank and mix.

4) Let it run for a couple of days w/ the skimmer

5) Remove some of the water (Similar to a water change)

6) Start taking water out from the JBJ into a trash can.

7) Remove rocks, fish and corals from jbj and set them into the new tank.

8) Fill up the left over water from the JBJ into the new tank

Done?

I am ok sir,can't complain I suppose, looks like harry got ya covered on the questions haha

Cool man, hopefully things look better than ok soon. Looking to get this tank moved over within the next few weeks or so.

Ok, I think you're right as well with the others. I went from a 34 to 45(The one im currently using). Did you just dump the sand in and some new water? I can't remove any water from the tank until i'm ready to transfer livestock. It'll all be in one motion.

So how does this sound?

1) Add sand, straight from bag.

2) Fill up tank with RODI

3) Add salt in tank and mix.

4) Let it run for a couple of days w/ the skimmer

5) Remove some of the water (Similar to a water change)

6) Start taking water out from the JBJ into a trash can.

7) Remove rocks, fish and corals from jbj and set them into the new tank.

8) Fill up the left over water from the JBJ into the new tank

Done?

Cool man, hopefully things look better than ok soon. Looking to get this tank moved over within the next few weeks or so.

I don't know about mixing the water inside the tank. I mean what effect that will have on the live sand and such.

The live sand IS in salt water- I tasted it last time lol.

Overall yeah. Get it running, put in as much LR and filthy media from the RL-45 as possible and give it some time to get adjusted

I don't know about mixing the water inside the tank. I mean what effect that will have on the live sand and such.

The live sand IS in salt water- I tasted it last time lol.

Overall yeah. Get it running, put in as much LR and filthy media from the RL-45 as possible and give it some time to get adjusted

Maybe ill fill with water and mix first then dump the sand in once it's at my desired salinity. All the rock will from the JBJ will go into the tank at the same time in step 7. I can't really remove any rock from the tank. There's not much. They're large pieces and corals are on them. Im hoping the live sand will provide that initial bacteria for me. The sand will be able to settle but the rock and livestock will go in same day. Unfortunately that's how I have to run it.

Maybe ill fill with water and mix first then dump the sand in once it's at my desired salinity. All the rock will from the JBJ will go into the tank at the same time in step 7. I can't really remove any rock from the tank. There's not much. They're large pieces and corals are on them. Im hoping the live sand will provide that initial bacteria for me. The sand will be able to settle but the rock and livestock will go in same day. Unfortunately that's how I have to run it.

Probably will be fine, especially given theres no finicky acropora or clams.

Are you adding any rock or just transferring the rock you have?

Probably will be fine, especially given theres no finicky acropora or clams.

Are you adding any rock or just transferring the rock you have?

No sir. I have no plans of adding anymore rock. If I do it'll be a small island. I have some nano rock laying around I can build something out of.

Put the sand in first Wretched, then the water poured over a piece of live rock. You can mix saltwater in the tank if nothing is in it at first then do regular water making routine.

Put the sand in first Wretched, then the water poured over a piece of live rock. You can mix saltwater in the tank if nothing is in it at first then do regular water making routine.

That was my initial thought, but when Harry reminded me that the sand has live bacteria. I don't want to kill it off. I'm not sure if mixing when live sand inside the tank will kill off that bacteria? =(

That was my initial thought, but when Harry reminded me that the sand has live bacteria. I don't want to kill it off. I'm not sure if mixing when live sand inside the tank will kill off that bacteria? =(

Ok,well premix or use some tank water to cover the sand a bit,honestly I don't think the die off with sand will be significant if you add some premixed and or tank water,maybe like 25%. Or add some now,mix in the tank with new tank mixed water overnight and then add sand tomorrow with rock or whatever else going in,that way it will be right chemistry for the transfer.

Ok,well premix or use some tank water to cover the sand a bit,honestly I don't think the die off with sand will be significant if you add some premixed and or tank water,maybe like 25%. Or add some now,mix in the tank with new tank mixed water overnight and then add sand tomorrow with rock or whatever else going in,that way it will be right chemistry for the transfer.

That might be legit. I'll do a water change in my other tank for now... Use the water from the JBJ and just pour it into this tank... Will also let me test my bulkheads for leaks. Clever.

• 2 weeks later...

It's got to be over the level of you return pump!

Personally I ran my water level about 1" below my last baffle. I was doing manual top off and the little extra volumn made me feel better. Now with my ATO, the level in my return doesn't change more than 1/8".

I don't have a scientific answer but personal experience... for what that's worth

It's got to be over the level of you return pump!

Personally I ran my water level about 1" below my last baffle. I was doing manual top off and the little extra volumn made me feel better. Now with my ATO, the level in my return doesn't change more than 1/8".

I don't have a scientific answer but personal experience... for what that's worth

That does help thank you. I only poured 10g of water into my sump from my water change on the current JBJ and it's clearly not enough. Im thinking the middle chamber, skimmer chamber need to be level and the water level just above the pump on the return side... see picture for reference

20150918_215330_zps0m4kq20t.jpg

Keep in mind there's no flow going through the tank. It's only water I poured in from a water change on my established tank.

Wanted to test the skimmer... Within 2 minutes it's already beasting... I couldnt get this out of my cadlights pls 50 elite in 5 months....

I have no e,perience with a skimmer. And I'm no expert on sumps. I did build my personal one. I wish I built it different, but the next one will be better. It looks like your water level will need to be set according to your skimmer. I'm not sure your middle chamber does anything but act as a bubble trap. When I started my system the first time. I filled my tank to just below the overflow and I filled my sump to what I thought was a max comfortable level.

I started my return pump. After letting it run a few minutes to get "all" the air out I marked the operating water level. That is my max operating level/ total failure level. So I can't flood my system. Next I removed water until I found a comfortable level that my chambers seemed to function silently. And marked that as my "standard" top level. So I always had a benchmark for top offs and water changes.

I assume skimmer water level might be critical in your system for water level.

I have no e,perience with a skimmer. And I'm no expert on sumps. I did build my personal one. I wish I built it different, but the next one will be better. It looks like your water level will need to be set according to your skimmer. I'm not sure your middle chamber does anything but act as a bubble trap. When I started my system the first time. I filled my tank to just below the overflow and I filled my sump to what I thought was a max comfortable level.

I started my return pump. After letting it run a few minutes to get "all" the air out I marked the operating water level. That is my max operating level/ total failure level. So I can't flood my system. Next I removed water until I found a comfortable level that my chambers seemed to function silently. And marked that as my "standard" top level. So I always had a benchmark for top offs and water changes.

I assume skimmer water level might be critical in your system for water level.

Yes very critical which is why I come to an almost positive conclusion that the middle and skimmer chamber will only be as high as the baffle. Return pump I think as long as it's over it, maybe 1" or so. So i'm assuming my ATO sensor will go in the return side to keep it at that level? Sound about right?

... yes?

20150508_191125_zpslujgdlav.jpg

I know sump isn't perfect, but this is my initial fire up and playing with water level before piping it into my display tank.

20150508_203039_zpsocefznke.jpg

The first baffle is part of my bubble trap (Incorrectly built). The second baffle sets the water level in the first chamber. (left) The third baffle sets the water level in the center chamber (2nd and 3rd are same height, would make this 1/2" shorter in next build) and lastly the final chamber (right) has my return pump where the ato is installed. But my water level is below the level of my last baffle so my ato senses a smaller water volumn quicker.

I don't have a picture with my ato installed

Archived