Top Shelf Aquatics

Wretched's JBJ 45RL

Wretched

I do man! Excellent work love the tank as always

Thank you, but you see that nonsense rock showing? How embarrassing. XD

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so, a little skimmer tip for those who are having issues with the cadlights PLS 50 Elite... I had a couple people PM me because they saw the problems I was having and eventually fixed the skimmer....The skimmer is sooooo finnicky and just hard to fine tune with turning the whole cylinder. Here was my fix, my skimmer has been going strong for weeks now and skimmer thick, dark skim.

***CUT OFF THE AIR CYLINDER and REPLACE WITH AN ADJUSTABLE AIRLINE TUBING VALVE.****

It makes the skimmer sooooo much easier to tune and adjust. I don't know why they wouldn't put an adjustable valve on it in the first place. I don't know the science or engineering behind it but from my experience it's 1000x better.

20150802_102027_zpseyxqcll3.jpg

Don't mind the UV in the pics, it's my early morning lights that just came on. Blue+ / Actinic.

Ok wretched, I installed an air valve on my skimmer and its still not really doing anything good. I have been getting about a half a cup a day of either clear water or very slightly dirty skim. Still almost looks clear. The middle of my collection cup will get dirty, but thats about it. Im kind of stumped on how to make this thing work better.

HarryPotter

Ok wretched, I installed an air valve on my skimmer and its still not really doing anything good. I have been getting about a half a cup a day of either clear water or very slightly dirty skim. Still almost looks clear. The middle of my collection cup will get dirty, but thats about it. Im kind of stumped on how to make this thing work better.

How high are the bubbles breaking? You want them breaking just below the collection cup (Or right at) so that in a day or two the bubbles will start to push over and make nice skimate.

This is 2 days skimate- notice the whole thing is full of bubbles! haha

(Might be because I spilled Reef Roids in the tank lol)

27DFABE3-3B3F-447F-B9E8-94128D2302A6_zps

How high are the bubbles breaking? You want them breaking just below the collection cup (Or right at) so that in a day or two the bubbles will start to push over and make nice skimate.

This is 2 days skimate- notice the whole thing is full of bubbles! haha

(Might be because I spilled Reef Roids in the tank lol)

27DFABE3-3B3F-447F-B9E8-94128D2302A6_zps

My bubbles are breaking about 1/3 the way up. Any lower and my collection cup will stay dry. Is my water just too clean?

HarryPotter

My bubbles are breaking about 1/3 the way up. Any lower and my collection cup will stay dry. Is my water just too clean?

Probably. I forget the details of the tank, but if you don't have that many fish or don't feed a lot possibly

It's possible that your tank is clean, but as recommended... let the bubbles break BEFORE the entrance to the cup. The "skim" you're getting is from the bubbles bursting so high creating residue on the cup cover then dripping into cup. Don't stress it, newly cycled tank with previous dry rock won't skim much but I guarantee you'll still get a foam. Let it break in, i've had this skimmer for like 3-4 months and I barely just got this thing dialed down. Frankly, I don't think it should take that long and I was just about to get rid of it, then I threatened it a little bit and started to perform. :D The Air valve mod is to allow you to adjust the skimmer in an easier fashion without turning the cup. Once your tank gets going and the skimmer is tuned, it'll work! Just as others told me, keep at it!

• 2 weeks later...

Wretched!!! How is ya buddy ? :)

How'd I miss this I don't know. I am well, went out fishing today but it's just too hot. 105 here at home and nearing 90 @ 7200ft at the lake... Its been this way for a while, and trout are sluggish in warm waters. So it was a skunked day...

I haven't recieved the light from Zia yet, but i'm not rushing him I know he's busy with the move...

Tank updates!

I am now an owner of a DIY Hybrid Led/T5 fixture, and I cant begin to describe how much I love the colors, fullness of light, shimmer and just the plus's of both T5/Led... man!

Thanks to NanoFreak79 and his brilliant, easy, and effective DIY adding the tubes to the Maxspect razor, so happy I didn't get rid of it... because, WOW! Though the pictures will suck because of all the blue, in person it's just wow. That is all.

So true, I almost went back to a sunpower. I now have a gorgeous colorful tank. My zoas are sprouting babies left and right after a few months of the T5 add on. I'm glad your happy with your razor now. I like that it doesn't really look like a hacked DIY either.

So true, I almost went back to a sunpower. I now have a gorgeous colorful tank. My zoas are sprouting babies left and right after a few months of the T5 add on. I'm glad your happy with your razor now. I like that it doesn't really look like a hacked DIY either.

Man, it came out great! The wires aren't too bad I just ran them along my plant hangers that come from the wall. The fixture is still sleek.. I seriously can't get over the colors; not flat like T5's has that deep blue shimmer to it. Excellent DIY man... Wish I would've went this route first before I dropped 600$ to a sunpower. What settings and bulbs are you running? The one issue I have with it is... with only two bulbs and so spread apart, if I use two different bulbs I can see that they dont blend well into tank. What are your settings?

This picture is when the T5's just came out, things are still opening. It's also harder to capture colors through the camera due to the amount of blue, but wow... In person... everything just shimmers.

2015-08-16_12.12.10_zps4pklo2do.jpg

I'm using 2x blue+. I tried adding a purple plus and you can notice that they don't blend well like a normal T5 fixture. My setting for the T5's are four hours on during the highest point in the day. Razor settings are this....

0-1%

13:00 35-60%

14:00 50-70

17:00 40-70

21:00 10-65%

23:00 0-1%

I'm trying to get a better schedule, as some sps are bleaching, some brown and some good color. Zoa and paly are happy as can be, but all those sit at the bottom of 22" tank. What do you run?

Oh, and my tank isn't overly blue its kind of hard to explain what the T5's have done. I'd say I'm getting mostly a 15k at certain points

Ok, thank you. I plan to work up my LED, dont want to melt my lps. Though they're used to getting blasted with 144 watts of t5, LEDs scare me.

I'm running: 2 Blue+ (5 hours 1200-1700)

1000-0/1

1100-10/30

1200-30/30 (Blue+ On)

1700-30/45(Blue+ Off)

1900-1/30

2000-0/0

I will work up the LEDs over time, I don't want too blue to where it washes out pictures, but I dont want too white either. Hard finding a setting which im happy with, and also the coral. All my corals are opened, minus my nearly dead candy cane, but thats been long coming. The leather is shedding so he'll be closed for about a week or so. My leather is a beast. I can't comment on growth, but since i've added my corals from zia/saltcritters, theyre already covering the plugs and onto the rocks... Those pink and golds are just a weed, but I like them they look great under blues.

I'm using 2x blue+. I tried adding a purple plus and you can notice that they don't blend well like a normal T5 fixture. My setting for the T5's are four hours on during the highest point in the day. Razor settings are this....

0-1%
13:00 35-60%
14:00 50-70
17:00 40-70
21:00 10-65%
23:00 0-1%

I'm trying to get a better schedule, as some sps are bleaching, some brown and some good color. Zoa and paly are happy as can be, but all those sit at the bottom of 22" tank. What do you run?
Oh, and my tank isn't overly blue its kind of hard to explain what the T5's have done. I'd say I'm getting mostly a 15k at certain points

^

I was lower, I might have run them up to fast? I think I'll try dropping mine down. I have some lps that are starting to recede. Thanks for sharing, appreciate it. I like my tank to get blue at a few hours before moonlights, I like to see the zoas pop.

I copied your schedule with some minor adjustments in times and slight higher values, but equally the same as yours.........if that makes any sense. Lol

How deep is your tank?

I was lower, I might have run them up to fast? I think I'll try dropping mine down. I have some lps that are starting to recede. Thanks for sharing, appreciate it. I like my tank to get blue at a few hours before moonlights, I like to see the zoas pop.

I copied your schedule with some minor adjustments in times and slight higher values, but equally the same as yours.........if that makes any sense. Lol

How deep is your tank?

My goal is to ramp them up to about what yours are currently. Although, im getting great response from the coral with the current schedule. Hopefully I can get these zoas to color up more. They're not so 'pop' right now as they could be under blues. I think thats because they were under the T5, or my phosphates are higher, could be both.

My tank is 21" deep with a 1-1.5" sand bed.

2015-08-18_10.10.33_zpsty8kdiwu.jpg

Still waiting on the light from Zia :)

I'm losing the candy cane due to no space and shadowed from the euphyllias. RIP 5+ year old candy cane, 200+ heads fragged later.

Update, candy cane coral finally died in the shadow. I was able to save 3 heads out of 100+. RIP 5 year old coral. I can't begin to describe how amazing the Maxspect and 2x ATI Bulb hybrid fixture is doing. Growth and color on my zoas look amazing. I'll let pictures do the rest.

Keep in mind, these are all my zoas from Zia and SaltCritters(1-1.5months I think?)

IMG_20150824_142905_zpsskmayz7q.jpg

IMG_20150824_142522_zpsvfeaqle5.jpg

Remember the DOA acro from Zia? Well I kept him in the tank, and he's getting a greenish blue color back. He was almost completely white, minus the base.

Zoas look incredible, I'm loving that T5 even lighting look :)

Thanks, I'm running two blue plus bulbs and even whites/blues with the LED. Coloring is deep, shimmer is there, and the heat is so much less in my office room. Corals have responded very well, leather is in the end process of shedding again. The GSP on the back wall is taking off!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE of the YEAR....

A new tank was ordered and received today.

66 gallon starfire (32" x 24" x 20")

29 gallon sump

Stand (Black)

SCA-302 Skimmer (rated up to 180 gallons)

Not to mention I received the Radion from Zia... cleaned it up, but have not tested it yet!

NBD... That is all :)

UPDATE of the YEAR....

A new tank was ordered and received today.

66 gallon starfire (32" x 24" x 20")

29 gallon sump

Stand (Black)

SCA-302 Skimmer (rated up to 180 gallons)

Not to mention I received the Radion from Zia... cleaned it up, but have not tested it yet!

NBD... That is all :)

WHATTTTTTTTTT THATS AWESOME!!!!!!! THOSE DIMENSIONS THOUGH

Archived