Coral Vue Hydros

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

gone_PHiSHin
25 minutes ago, thereef said:

Is it just this one? I tried fitting the Sicce 1.0 in the 3rd chamber and it was tight. I'm afraid to cut down the return without having the replacement tube first. 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/white-soft-silicone-tubing-sold-by-the-foot.html

yes make sure you get the 1/2" inside diameter tubing 

its kind of pricey but you could just get a foot if you wanted.  i got like 4 feet and use it for my water change siphon hose as well.  it doesn't kink up like the cheap clear vinyl tubing 

MarauderMike

I am looking at starting a tank.  I am new to this.  I have run fresh water tanks but no saltwater ones.

My first choice is one of the new IM 14 Nuvo Fusion Peninsula tanks.  Is there any reason to choose the 10 gallon over this.  All of the dimensions are the same as the 10 except it is wider (20" wide vs IM 10's 15" ).

Is the Desktop Performance Pack a worthwhile investment?  it includes the Ghost Skimmer and MinMax media reactor.

I am looking at using an AI Prime LED light.  Any reason I should choose the Nanobox Mini Tide over it?

Assuming I get the Performance pack what should go in each filtration compartment?

1 filter sock or Media Basket?

2 Ghost Skimmer

3 pump

Where would the heater go?

The Media Reactor is external.  Where would it attach?

Any help would be appreciated

2 minutes ago, MarauderMike said:

I am looking at starting a tank.  I am new to this.  I have run fresh water tanks but no saltwater ones.

My first choice is one of the new IM 14 Nuvo Fusion Peninsula tanks.  Is there any reason to choose the 10 gallon over this.  All of the dimensions are the same as the 10 except it is wider (20" wide vs IM 10's 15" ).

Is the Desktop Performance Pack a worthwhile investment?  it includes the Ghost Skimmer and MinMax media reactor.

I am looking at using an AI Prime LED light.  Any reason I should choose the Nanobox Mini Tide over it?

Assuming I get the Performance pack what should go in each filtration compartment?

2 Ghost Skimmer

3 pump

More water volume in these tanks is always more=better. The skimmer takes a bit of time to break and dial in but many folks run it. Not sure on the media reactor, heater goes in the return pump section. Media basket is a must intanks version feels sturdier and fits tighter. As for the light I have heard great things about both but I'm currently running a kessil a80 to see if it can provide enough light for the IM10.

what are you planning to stock? A lot of those questions will be determined by that. 

MarauderMike

I am planning on soft coral and lps, along with a fish or two and maybe a shrimp to start but I generally try to buy what I need for the long haul and not have to upgrade.  

I am probably going to start with a single soft coral, and an lps and maybe a shrimp and grow it after a few months of not killing things.

19 hours ago, MarauderMike said:

2 Ghost Skimmer

3 pump

I have two IM 14 Fusion tanks.  GREAT TANK !!  More water is always better.  This tank has like 33% more water (no, not 40% more, they round up the gallons on these tanks).

I have the Prime HD light on both.  This light is super powerful when used on this tank.  I have corals in both, and an anemone in one.  All are doing well.  It's an awesome light.

I have the tank set up such that I look in the side... so when I look into the tank, it has the same front dimensions as the 10 gallon, but is way deeper front to back.  This creates and awesome view.

On tanks this small, you have to be reasonable with bioload from fish.  In my one tank, I have one maroon clown... in the other, a clown goby, two antenna goby and two yellow line goby.  The gobies are really small.  If you have not thought about doing it.. a goby tank is great.  They have such personality, and you should buy gobies that stay very small and are very peaceful.  Then you will have no issues.

As to skimmer and reactor.... tough to run both... as you should have an auto topoff sensor sitting in your sump as well.  So it is hard to run all..... sock or media basket in left chamber, skimmer takes up whole middle chamber, pump and heater in last chamber, as well as ATO sensor.  Would need to run reactor in tank itself, which you can do.

BUT... it is best to be aggressive with water changes on these small tanks..... I do a five gallon bucket every two weeks.... bucket holding about 4.5 gallons.  I figure there is only 11 gallons or so of water, so this is a 35-40% water change.  If you do that, you do NOT need a skimmer or carbon.  If you had to do one, do carbon in mini max reactor... with low bioload and the water change schedule I use, you will pull out almost nothing in the skimmer in two weeks.

For media basket, get the one made by InTank or the UPGRADED one made by IM.

One final thought.... you ALWAYS wish you bought a bigger tank.... always.... can you swing the IM 20 gallon fusion?  This has much more space for sump stuff as it has two overflows and 5 chambers (NOTE: I am NOT talking about the 20 gallon peninsula tank, but the regular 20 gallon tank).  I am guilty of this too, as I am seriously thinking of upgrading one of my 14's to a 20.

MarauderMike

Awesome thanks LX.  I have discovered through reading that you can't fit both the skimmer and their reactor with the IM10 or larger peninsula tanks.  It needs an additional chamber..  Yes there are external or in tank solutions, but I think for now I will stick with the media basket and the skimmer.

I plan on keeping my bioload low.  Most I would ever do is 2 small fish and a shrimp.

I will take a look at my space for the IM20.  It is going to sit on my desk tho so I am not sure I can fit the larger tank.  The added chambers for more filtration does give huge flexibility in adding things as you need them.  I will keep it under advisement

These tanks are great for gobies... and you can have more than 2..... Again, with tanks this size, water changes are your friend.  Also, because the pump chamber is small (all the chambers are small), you will need to top off constantly.... you really need to run an ATO.  I suggest Tunze Nano.

On 4/24/2017 at 4:52 PM, Aquathumb83 said:

A little update on the Chaeto reactor setup. I found myself having an issue keeping a consistent water level in the sump AND the display. It seems as though having a separate pump for the reactor and another for the return was the issue. So what I did was I took out the return pump and stuck the reactor pump in its place and now have the return from the reactor connected to the display return nozzle. Also the Sicce 1.0 has plenty of power to run this setup.

Did you have to cut the return nozzle also to make that work? I'm trying to run the Sicce to my reactor and then right back to the tank as well. 

I've got mine cycled now and I am going to move over livestock in the next few weeks.

I've noticed some tiny bubbles coming out of the return any suggestions how to eliminate this? I know when I have the tank chambers in the back full it doesn't do it as much.

Thanks

1 hour ago, bonjorno2 said:

I've got mine cycled now and I am going to move over livestock in the next few weeks.

I've noticed some tiny bubbles coming out of the return any suggestions how to eliminate this? I know when I have the tank chambers in the back full it doesn't do it as much.

Thanks

Are you getting them from the skimmer? I dialed mine way down like barely open with the cup all the way up. From there I put a piece of filter floss between the skimmer and the fall line to the return chamber. Zero micro bubbles in mind after setting that up other than when I clean it, but they go away within 3-4 hours of use.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, frahny said:

Are you getting them from the skimmer? I dialed mine way down like barely open with the cup all the way up. From there I put a piece of filter floss between the skimmer and the fall line to the return chamber. Zero micro bubbles in mind after setting that up other than when I clean it, but they go away within 3-4 hours of use.

I agree with this. I run skimmerless but when my ato runs out and the pump os sucking water i get micro bubbles. If your chamber is full you shouldnt. If iys not the skimmer take the pump out and pit it back in

On 7/1/2017 at 9:28 PM, frahny said:

I don't have a skimmer just the intank basket and return.

If your water level in the pump chamber is at the right height (about 1/2" to 1" below the wall between the second and third chambers), and you don't have a skimmer, the only thing I can think of is a leak somewhere in the return pump tubing or nozzle assembly. I think one of the posters on this thread had a similar problem some time ago, and it ended up being something wrong with the plumbing through the display chamber wall, between the return tubing and the nozzle.

• Like 3
gone_PHiSHin

exactly what i was going to say teeny

if the water is too low in the third chamber, it will 'waterfall' too far and make bubbles, which will be sucked into the return pump and the impeller will make those into smaller bubbles and spit them into the display. 

if not this, you are probably pulling air in somewhere around the return nozzle.  there could be a crack, a hole, etc that is creating turbulence in the flow going into the display.  i would inspect around there.  

another obvious cause that some new people to the hobby don't realize is if the return nozzle is creating a vortex at the surface of the water it will eventually pull in a bubble.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, bonjorno2 said:

Thanks all, i'll inspect the plumbing and report back. I've been in the hobby for about 4 years however this is my first true nano.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask more questions! There are so many of us with IM10's we should be able to figure it out together.

• Like 2