Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

18 minutes ago, FishWrangler said:

I know....it's crazy how blue that kessle is.  You should see the pic before I messed with it on the app.....8B3C7BA4-5CFB-4D27-A84E-8A35936B7053_zps

The corals looks great! You can just temporarily adjust the Kessil for pictures by cranking up the whites. It will look fairly white to your eyes but the camera will still show a lot of blue, just not too bad.

22 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

why did you decide to switch?

also what light are you using and how does that fit with the eshopps being back there? 

The eshopps from what I read was better, and it's in fact true. I use the Nanobox Mini Tide M with 9 in gooseneck.

32766549674_b8c69fbea8_h.jpg

• Like 1
Aquathumb83

Has anyone tried this? I have an idea to make a chaeto reactor to add to my tank by running a sicce 1.0 in the second chamber plumbed to a small aquamaxx reactor (chemipure blue) then to a xl aquamaxx reactor (chaeto) then back to the third chamber of the tank. I really like the simplicity of filter socks and how much detritus they collect. Secondly is i currently have my CPB in the filter sock which i feel isnt allowing it and the CPB to work at its max potential. My concern is will the sicce (251 gph) be able push the water through both reactors and back up to the tank.  

This is the equipment I plan to run.

Accel-Aquatics-Warm-White-High-Output-Waterproof-LED-Strip-Light-with-Transformer-6-foot-99.jpg

Sicce-Syncra-Silent-1.0-Multifunction-Aquarium-Pump-(251-GPH)-1.jpg

AquaMaxx-Fluidized-GFO-and-Carbon-Filter-Media-Reactor-XL-99.jpg

AquaMaxx-Fluidized-GFO-and-Carbon-Filter-Media-Reactor-XS-99.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aquathumb83 said:

Has anyone tried this? I have an idea to make a chaeto reactor to add to my tank by running a sicce 1.0 in the second chamber plumbed to a small aquamaxx reactor (chemipure blue) then to a xl aquamaxx reactor (chaeto) then back to the third chamber of the tank. I really like the simplicity of filter socks and how much detritus they collect. Secondly is i currently have my CPB in the filter sock which i feel isnt allowing it and the CPB to work at its max potential. My concern is will the sicce (251 gph) be able push the water through both reactors and back up to the tank.  

This is the equipment I plan to run.

Accel-Aquatics-Warm-White-High-Output-Waterproof-LED-Strip-Light-with-Transformer-6-foot-99.jpg

Sicce-Syncra-Silent-1.0-Multifunction-Aquarium-Pump-(251-GPH)-1.jpg

AquaMaxx-Fluidized-GFO-and-Carbon-Filter-Media-Reactor-XL-99.jpg

AquaMaxx-Fluidized-GFO-and-Carbon-Filter-Media-Reactor-XS-99.jpg

Is your second chamber going to be empty with just the sicce pump? I'm interested in adding an algae reactor but not sure I can fit a pump and skimmer. 

Aquathumb83
Just now, thereef said:

Is your second chamber going to be empty with just the sicce pump? I'm interested in adding an algae reactor but not sure I can fit a pump and skimmer. 

The second chamber for the most part will be empty, my HOB skimmer return sits at the surface in that chamber and that's it. According to the measurements of the Sicce 1.0 it should fit in that chamber. 

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Not sure if the sicce could pump all of that but you never know.  The .5 is a strong quiet little pump.  My concern would be when the cheato builds it's going to create more resistance on the pump.  Especially if it's pumping through the chemi-pure too.   However if it works we will all want to see results.  

Im planning the same thing but no second reactor for chemi-pure.  Here is a video of someone using the marine depot kit on a standard 10 gallon tank. 

I think the pump would be fine, because you don't need super fast flow through chaeto and other media reactors anyway. So as long as the reactors aren't sitting way below the bottom of the tank, the pump can deal with a couple feet of head pressure.

TJ just posted a really nice how to video for his DIY chaeto reactor in his thread: 

Here's a direct link to the video:

• Like 1
Aquathumb83

The tank is on a 31.5" tall stand. It'll be around 3' of head pressure from just the measurements I've taken. Wondering if gravity will be helping much for the water on the way down?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Aquathumb83 said:

The tank is on a 31.5" tall stand. It'll be around 3' of head pressure from just the measurements I've taken. Wondering if gravity will be helping much for the water on the way down?

I forget my high school physics, but after thinking about it for at least two minutes....I have no idea :lol: 

So I'm new on here but a long time lurker in the background. I have a Fusion 10 and it has been running for about 3 weeks. I've been looking into skimmers and having read the entire thread I notice that choice seems limited for this tank. I also came across this thread on here, where the use of a Tunze 9001 skimmer is discussed as a possibility. Do you think it could work?

I know the original post is about the IM 20 but it does mention the 10g later in the thread.

• Like 1
Aquathumb83
3 hours ago, Obrowell said:

So I'm new on here but a long time lurker in the background. I have a Fusion 10 and it has been running for about 3 weeks. I've been looking into skimmers and having read the entire thread I notice that choice seems limited for this tank. I also came across this thread on here, where the use of a Tunze 9001 skimmer is discussed as a possibility. Do you think it could work?

I know the original post is about the IM 20 but it does mention the 10g later in the thread.

I'm currently running The Aquamaxx HOB 1 on my IM 10.

6 hours ago, Obrowell said:

I could not find out if it fits, I know some people glue the magnet on the side in some cases. On this website it says it may fit...

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Tunze-DOC-9001-Nano-Protein-Skimmer-9001.htm

My Tunze 9001 has been pulling great skim, right from the get go. Your water level will need to stay very stable though. I'd recommend it if it fits.

• Like 1
FishWrangler
On 3/29/2017 at 10:57 AM, teenyreef said:

The corals looks great! You can just temporarily adjust the Kessil for pictures by cranking up the whites. It will look fairly white to your eyes but the camera will still show a lot of blue, just not too bad.

I have the older kessil 150....unfortunate it's not adjustable. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, ScubaPooch said:

I could not find out if it fits, I know some people glue the magnet on the side in some cases. On this website it says it may fit...

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Tunze-DOC-9001-Nano-Protein-Skimmer-9001.htm

My Tunze 9001 has been pulling great skim, right from the get go. Your water level will need to stay very stable though. I'd recommend it if it fits.

I can't remember anyone reporting that they got it to work, but StevieT's usually pretty accurate. If you try it, please let us know how it works, as it would be great to have another skimmer option. I have the 9004 in my IM40 and it's a pretty nice skimmer.

22 minutes ago, FishWrangler said:

I have the older kessil 150....unfortunate it's not adjustable. 

Ahhh, I see, bummer.

• Like 1
Aquathumb83

Just for anyone interested this is the Aquamaxx HOB 1 I have on my IM 10. The only thing that I wish was different is if the intake and return were switched around.

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

• Like 3

Gonna join this club. Had a nano a few years back but had to take down when job started requiring lots of travel and the wife got sick of caring for my hobby. Ordered the tank (from BRS, not been a good experience despite previous purchases) but it should arrive Monday. Gonna aim for a KISS system, who knows when work travel will pick back up. I'll be starting a build thread soon. Only lacking a power strip, timers, suitable stand, ATO container, and some bottled bac w/ ammonium chloride for the cycle. New location in the SF Bay Area has some awesome LFSs. Looking forward to getting this going. 

• Like 3

So figured what better place to find equipment for IM 10g then here! If anyone is looking for a custom top and has unwanted equipment for build let me know!

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

so i have this astrea snail that always ends up on my overflow, blocking some of the flow, which makes my ATO pump in unnecessary fresh water.  

I usually catch it by hearing the pump going off repeatedly and just remove the snail and all is fine, but i'm concerned this will happen overnight and i'll wake up to big salinity swing.  i have the Tunze Nano, i'm not sure how long it will actually pump before it shuts down, nor do i know exactly how much that will effect my salinity.

anyone else deal with this?  any suggestions?  (other than getting rid of the damn snails :rolleyes:)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

so i have this astrea snail that always ends up on my overflow, blocking some of the flow, which makes my ATO pump in unnecessary fresh water.  

I usually catch it by hearing the pump going off repeatedly and just remove the snail and all is fine, but i'm concerned this will happen overnight and i'll wake up to big salinity swing.  i have the Tunze Nano, i'm not sure how long it will actually pump before it shuts down, nor do i know exactly how much that will effect my salinity.

anyone else deal with this?  any suggestions?  (other than getting rid of the damn snails :rolleyes:)

I posted a similar problem that I have. Although i have an issues with debris also causing this. I thought of an idea for snalis. You could make a little cover by bending gutter guard around your overflow.

That way the snail climbs on the gutter guard whohc is ideally bent away from the overflow, allowing water to go aroubd the snail and down the overflow.

• Like 1
Aquathumb83
6 hours ago, ScubaPooch said:

I posted a similar problem that I have. Although i have an issues with debris also causing this. I thought of an idea for snalis. You could make a little cover by bending gutter guard around your overflow.

That way the snail climbs on the gutter guard whohc is ideally bent away from the overflow, allowing water to go aroubd the snail and down the overflow.

209444_imfishguard_a.jpg

• Like 2

I've also (rarely) had problems with little cerith snails crawling inside the float guard and getting the float stuck. The Tunze Nano has a timer and will shut off after it runs for a certain amount of time (set to 1.8 minutes factory default). There's a jumper to increase the time, but of course even 1.8 minutes is way too long for a 10g aquarium. The solution I came up with was to insert a plastic air valve in the water line so I could slow down the flow. That way it won't pump nearly as much water in 1.8 minutes.

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin

so you're saying just use a ball valve and close it so the flow is very slow?  this back pressure won't burn out the pump over time will it?

damn i wonder if there is a way to change the factory setting of 1.8 minutes?  maybe worth it to contact Tunze?  1.8 minutes of pump time is a ton of fresh water even in a tank twice this size :blink:

• Like 1

Yeah, just enough so that it slows the flow by about 50% or so. It doesn't hurt the pump at all, it's no worse than just making the pump go a few more feet uphill.

Tunze will tell you that they offer variable flow control by selling you the full size osmolator : )

• Like 1
Aquathumb83

So I have the reactors installed and flowing. They are empty as of right now. Learned that the filter pads in these won't keep Chemi Pure Blue from flowing into the tank. Luckily I caught it before it got too crazy. Wednesday the led strip light will be here and I'll get that installed and get more CPB and some chaeto and some more pics.

IMG_1037.JPG

• Like 1