Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Here's a top down view... Biggest "pro" for this tank is the bird's eye view.... Love it!

TopDown_zps383bd2fa.jpg

Clowns_zps92774ef7.jpg

FTS looks great. Ever think the tank is toooo shallow?

Thanks!

Too shallow? Not for me. I don't have a ton of SPS (yet), but that's the only thing that I imagine the lack of depth would affect. Big colonies would likely need to be moved or fragged to keep them below the surface, but besides that, I think it's great. On the other side of the coin, if you wanted to keep low-light species, it might be a challenge, as your lights go a lot further with only 12" of water. There's no real difference between the top, middle and bottom of the tank. Some thoughtful aquascaping would help if that became an issue.

• Like 4

Wow! That is looking great. I really can't wait til my gets here. When it does, wanna come by and scape it for me? You totally it.

Oh, how do you think the mp10 is doin alone for flow? Hope getting 2 rw4s isn't going to be too much.

your top down shot sold me =). my tank now is also a shallow one and sometimes i wish i have a higher one for gorgs and stuff, but i am always drawn back to the shallow tanks.

I love the shallow tanks too... I think they give you a lot of flexibility with what you can keep, and how you scape. Taller tanks are much more limited because of the smaller footprint, and light distribution. Good luck, and link me your thread when you start it!

Wow! That is looking great. I really can't wait til my gets here. When it does, wanna come by and scape it for me? You totally it.

Oh, how do you think the mp10 is doin alone for flow? Hope getting 2 rw4s isn't going to be too much.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to following your build too. NJ is a little bit of a hike from CA, but I'd be happy to offer as much remote scaping advise as you'd like. Personally, I'm a fan of open swim space, and lots of bright white sand.

As far as the flow goes, the one MP10 seems to be more than enough. I ran this thing for a couple of weeks with nothing but the flow from the return pump, and it was fine. I have the MP10 on Reef Crest Mode (variable speed) maxing out at 50%. Anything more and I'll start blowing sand around. If you give your hard-scape some thought, and plan where your pumps are going to go, you can get away with less equipment than you think.

In a shallow tank, I'm finding that it's a trick to balance having enough flow, without causing a sandstorm, and still being able to maintain the top down view.

• Like 1

I love the shallow tanks too... I think they give you a lot of flexibility with what you can keep, and how you scape. Taller tanks are much more limited because of the smaller footprint, and light distribution. Good luck, and link me your thread when you start it!

I am loving my smaller 12g shallow right now but it's way overloaded with corals....itching to upgrade.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/332154-ninjas-12g-pico-s-iii-new-fts-and-pictures/

• Like 1

It's like they stare into your soul....

Right?! They want $180 per polypI Zoanthids.com is a great site, but dang, don't go there unless you're independently wealthy!

Right?! They want $180 per polypI Zoanthids.com is a great site, but dang, don't go there unless you're independently wealthy!

WHAT??? I just died...

Nice euphyllia photo!!

• Like 1

Herding 'Nems

BTAs are beautiful additions to our reef tanks, and provide a lot of viewing pleasure. However, they are mobile, and tend to go where they like, regardless of who or what is in their way. My pair like to be right next to each other, and will stay put for a while, then get the itch and march around the tank till they find a new spot they like. This can be problematic, especially if they decide to perk on top of a prized monti, or colony of zoanthids...

I've found that you can influence their decision making. If you notice that they're moving in a direction you don't like, you can put up little road blocks that make their path more uncomfortable. I wedge rocks and shells in their way to try and "guide" them along a different path. It seems to work pretty well on the anemone. There's is another obstacle though...

The clowns that the 'nems host are very territorial, and may take offense to things that come into their area, even if they are not sentient. If I put rocks in around the 'nem, my clowns will smack it with their tails, and even go so far as to grab it with their mouths and push (think offensive lineman) until it's out of the area. For this reason, I find it's helpful to use big heavy items when possible, or you really need to wedge the item in place so that the clowns can't move them. You'd be surprised how strong those little bugger can be when they're motivated!

You'll see the white piece of tonga rock that I use as a BTA-Dam. I had to re-position the thing three or four times until it was secure enough to withstand the female clown's assaults.

IMG_20150114_144611_893_zps6d63f9ef.jpg

• Like 1

Traveling for the next four days. This is the first time I've left the tank for more than a day or two. I feel like a silly parent who just dropped off their kid at kindergarten!

• Like 1

I just ordered the 120 lens for the radion. Have you installed yours yet?

I did. I like them a lot. I think the standard lens gives you a pretty narrow beam, especially if you mount the fixture close to the water. I have mine mounted on the RMS, which puts the bulbs about 7.5" above the surface. The TIR lens gives me very good spread. I have some pieces of SPS doing well on the very edges of the tank. 36" coverage seems to be no problem!

So I'm back at the office today. After 4 days unsupervised, the tank did great! Everything looks healthy and happy. All the random SPS pieces I picked up look wonderful. Gena's cap is growing already... pretty amazing. The birds nest and stylo have great PE and are starting to look like the colors they're meant to be!

My battle with the BTA continues however. It really wants to climb down the face of the structure it's on, and there are some very pretty zoas in the way, and I don't want to lose them. Stay tuned...

• Like 1

I've never ordered any livestock online, but I was feeling particularly spendy today, and splurged a little...

Here's a little teaser:

P9290065__06803_zoom.JPG

goldrushmother__25577_zoom.JPG

And last, but certainly not least......

P1130073__78143_zoom.JPG

Wish me luck!!

• Like 5

Those look awesome, can't wait to see them in your tank.

Thanks Kat!! I saw the Cali Tort and Oregon Tort, and had to jump on 'em. I aspire to one day trade frags with you!

Looks good! Good luck!

I have the RMS as well. Did you can up intensity after installing?

I'm haven't dialed it up yet. It maxes out at 40%, and everything is really happy! Whenever I get around to it, I think I'll crank it up 5% or so and see what happens.

Where'd you get those SPS from, they look great, when you getting them in?

Love that euphyllia pic up there, they are some of my favorite.

To be clear...I got frags from those colonies. Cali Tort, Oregon Tort, and a Sunset Milli. Picked them up from Reef Gardener. I'll let you know how the pieces look. I think I should be getting them tomorrow.

Yeah, I've always liked the look of Euphyllia in a reef tank. You get amazing colors from SPS and zoos, but the movement from the torches, hammers, frogspawn, etc, really give another layer of depth to the visual experience. Plus, the fact that you can mush a bunch of different species/morphs together can make for some pretty cool arrangements.

What the F?!

I thought acans could be piled on top of each other with no problems? I left last night and these guys were totally fine... this morning I come in to this (sorry for the crappy pic)! The bottom half of those red acan heads are totally destroyed! There was a slime string connected to the orange one...

IMG_20150120_092849_051_zps7bdb4724.jpg

• Like 1