Pod Your Reef

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

1.You dont need to run a reactor on a tank so young. Id wait a while (few months) test your water and see if its truly necessary.

2.I doubt you need to dose anything as your tank is so young. Give it some time and if you see your calcium or alkalinity being rapidly depleted then consider hooking up the dosing pump.

++1

I would however, grab a small media bag and fill that up with carbon and place it somewhere in the sump with high flow.

++1

I would however, grab a small media bag and fill that up with carbon and place it somewhere in the sump with high flow.

+1 Not too much carbon though you dont want to strip the water too clean. Believe me your coral and clam appreciate the nutrients.

1.You dont need to run a reactor on a tank so young. Id wait a while (few months) test your water and see if its truly necessary.

2.I doubt you need to dose anything as your tank is so young. Give it some time and if you see your calcium or alkalinity being rapidly depleted then consider hooking up the dosing pump.

Hard to argue that! Thanks for the advice. Much obliged!

• Like 1

Yeah, I dropped a bag of carbon (with a little bit of GFO mixed in) into the sump right next to the return pump. My water is crystal clear now though, so maybe I should go ahead and pull it out?

Yeah, I dropped a bag of carbon (with a little bit of GFO mixed in) into the sump right next to the return pump. My water is crystal clear now though, so maybe I should go ahead and pull it out?

monitor your corals, if they're happy as can be, no need to pull it out. if you see your LPS not looking to well, check your PO4/NO3.. like Rehype said, it could of stripped your water.

i little nutrient in the water never hurt anything.

• Like 1

Well you could take it out. Keep in mind carbon is mostly effective in the first 24 hours.

A new reef shop opened close to my office this weekend (YAY!), and I went over there for their grand opening and picked up a couple little things.

I realized that I have good taste in corals, because the first three items I price-checked made me throw up a little in my mouth:

1. Random Zoa frag that looked like a Candy-Apple Red: Actually a "Bowser," priced at $200 per polyp.

2. Half-dollar sized gold/orange mushroom: Turns out it's a "Jawbreaker" mushroom priced at $300.

3. Quarter sized mushroom with little round knobbies on it: "Bounce" mushroom priced at $500

All I can say to that is.... W. T. F. ?

I ended up with some nice looking (big) pink zippers, a ($20) candy-apple paly, and a nice piece of seasons greetings (chili-pepper?) monti cap. I'll put up some photos soon.

• Like 1

All I can say to that is.... W. T. F. ?

I cant agree more...with the variety of coral available out there I cant believe how much some will pay for an "ultra rare" morph :wacko: I dont know guess im crazy..

• Like 3

You know what... I've bought some expensive "designer" zoos (and later regretted it), but something about spending hundreds of dollars for a mushroom rubbed me the wrong way...

• Like 1

You know what... I've bought some expensive "designer" zoos (and later regretted it), but something about spending hundreds of dollars for a mushroom rubbed me the wrong way...

:lol::lol::lol:

NORGY!!!

What happens when you combine two fighting conches, a Mexican turbo snail, a couple of ceriths, a handful of hermits, one hungry sea hare, and a strip of Nori rubber-banded to a rock:

IMG_20150106_184427_687_zpsf25fc1c9.jpg

• Like 3

I picked up a nice frag of Idaho Grape Monti Cap from Gena the other day. Awesome piece and a really excellent seller/transaction. Buy from her with confidence!!

This is going to look pretty cool next to the Seasons Greetings! Picture is a little overexposed, but the lights were dim and I wanted you to see the actual color of this thing!

Caps_zps88b9a378.jpg

Everything in the tank is looking really good, so I picked up a few new goodies.

I've decided to try my hand at SPS, so I'm starting out with some pretty common, inexpensive pieces. I'll see how they do, and reevaluate in a few weeks.

I picked up a huge colony of green bird's nest from a guy on a local forum. He wanted more room in his tank, so he pretty much gave it away. I got it back to the tank and realized I didn't have a spot for a piece that big, so I split it into two pieces. It's not the prettiest piece, but I think the green will color up under my radion. He had it under MH, but he said it was toward the bottom, and didn't get great light.

I also bought a frag of ORA (whatever that means) purple stylo from my LFS. It's sitting in my frag rack right now, but will be placed in a high flow, medium light area soon. He threw in a little piece of Orange Setosa as a bonus bonus!

To finish off my splurge, I bought a couple polyps of Gold Mauls, a paly that I've been searching for forever! They look a little more gold/orange than the photo shows, and they're beautiful. I'm very stoked about those!

Here's one half of the birds nest. You can also see the purple cap I bought from Gena... love that thing!

Birdsnest_zps6444d617.jpg

Here's the other half of the birds nest, along with the purple stylo. If you look closely, you can see a peek-a-boo shot of some awesome Pink Zippers I bought last week. They're not terribly rare, but a classic, and these individuals are HUGE!

Stylo_zpscf8c26f8.jpg

And here's a shot of the frag rack. You can see the stylo needs to color up a little. The Gold Mauls are in the upper left corner, and some funky looking Fruit Loops on the top right. One of the polyps has morphed a little. The normally blue center is turning bright orange. Not sure why, but it's pretty cool! Setosa is a nice bright orange as well.

Rack_zpsd4a040bb.jpg

• Like 2

There are a few of them, mostly new tanks. I haven't found a "mature" version yet.

Fnard - http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/355729-new-house-time-for-a-new-tank/#entry4925619

SFG - http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/355487-sfgs-cadlights-45g-shallow-build/

Nic - http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/349370-nics-cadlight-45-gallon-shallow-reef-new-pictures/page-6

IGarc009 - http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/showthread.php?48559-Igarc009-s-CADlights-45-Shallow-Build/page9

I'll try to post a FTS soon. It's a tough tank to photograph, being so wide. Plus the radion makes it even more difficult to get accurate color representation. I'm working on it though.

You can also check out the CAD Lights Artisan 70g. It's the same setup, but just 6" taller.

• Like 1

There are a few of them, mostly new tanks. I haven't found a "mature" version yet.

Fnard - http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/355729-new-house-time-for-a-new-tank/#entry4925619

SFG - http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/355487-sfgs-cadlights-45g-shallow-build/

Nic - http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/349370-nics-cadlight-45-gallon-shallow-reef-new-pictures/page-6

IGarc009 - http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/showthread.php?48559-Igarc009-s-CADlights-45-Shallow-Build/page9

I'll try to post a FTS soon. It's a tough tank to photograph, being so wide. Plus the radion makes it even more difficult to get accurate color representation. I'm working on it though.

You can also check out the CAD Lights Artisan 70g. It's the same setup, but just 6" taller.

Thanks for putting the links together!

FTS looks great. Ever think the tank is toooo shallow?