Cultivated Reef

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

It's been a while since I posted an update on the seedy underbelly of this tank. The sump & cabinet don't look quite as clean and organized as they once did, but I've added quite a bit of gear. I've got a couple of circulation pumps, a new fuge light, and digital thermometer, all of which add wires to the equation. I also have a media reactor and a BM Dosing Pump waiting to be installed. I'll have to work on my wiring at some point, but for now it's not too terrible.

The fuge is coming along great. I'm pretty happy with it. I recently replaced the stock fuge light that came with the setup with a PAR38 bulb I had lying around. The Halymenia (dragon's breath) macro was dying off, so hopefully this'll bring it back. The kenya trees and xenia seem to be doing well. They're not growing as fast as I thought they would, but that might be a function of the light as well. I don't know how much this fuge is doing for nutrient export right now, but it certainly is doing it's job as a "safe place" for pods and other little critters. It's teeming with stomatella snails, pods of all shapes and sizes, bristle worms, brittle stars and other goodies. There are no fish or crabs in there, so I think the sanctuary is in full effect.

Sump_zpskerkjfkg.jpg

Fuge_zpskvqke425.jpg

• Like 3

Nice. I remember you had a pretty funky program that separated the whites and blues into almost their own cycles. Are you liking the preset you've got now?

Well aesthetically it leaves a bit to be desired but the sps seem to like it so far. I have a small acro colony that was mostly brown when I bought it and it's beginning to show some nice color.

I just read this whole thread great job it looks vary nice

Thanks! Stay tuned...

Well aesthetically it leaves a bit to be desired but the sps seem to like it so far. I have a small acro colony that was mostly brown when I bought it and it's beginning to show some nice color.

Ah, the same old conundrum, to make it look pretty, or make it a happy, healthy environment?

I moved a few pieces around today, nothing too substantial. My clam was a bit too close to one of the BTAs, and I think it was stinging him. His mantle is a little messed up. I'm still seeing plenty of fresh white growth, but thought the clam might like it in a spot without stinging tentacles (and more direct light).

While I was moving things around, I watched my melanurus wrasse eat 3 or 4 stomatella snails... big ones too! I picked them off the rocks, then pried their shells off on the live rock. It was brutal... I'm confident that if he's picking off snails, then nice fleshy zoanthid eating nudibranches don't stand a chance!

I also turned over a shell and a few good sized pods scrambled out from underneath. The leopard wrasse made quick work of them. Perhaps I need to feed the tank a bit more...

Luckily the pods, and snails seem to be growing very rapidly in my fuge...

Mad PE Yo! Okay, maybe not super impressive, but it's more than I've seen so far on this Cali Tort. The Oregon even shows a little, which is still an improvement. The coloration looks pretty good too, no browning, and no bleaching. Good news SPS fans!

PE_zpssx0ogz2b.jpg

• Like 1

Chris Are those torches I see???? (sorry new to this thread) If so come on over to The Torch Club and show us some goodies with pics!

There's one torch in there. It's very healthy, happy and grows like a weed, but it's not really a showcase piece. It doesn't host my clowns unless they're really annoyed, but it gives me a lot of nice movement, which I love.

Torch201_zpsagxwaxur.jpg

• Like 1

There's one torch in there. It's very healthy, happy and grows like a weed, but it's not really a showcase piece. It doesn't host my clowns unless they're really annoyed, but it gives me a lot of nice movement, which I love.

Torch201_zpsagxwaxur.jpg

I dontt care whether its showcase or not! All torches are beautiful! Come over to the torch club thread and post that. people are really going at it haha..

Happy As A...

I moved my clam away from the stinging grasp of a BTA, and it seems to love the new spot. You can still see some damage along the outside of the mantle, but it's healing pretty quickly.

Clam_zpspqhpjvqy.jpg

• Like 3

Since I'm on a photo kick, here are a couple of growth shots. I love doing these, because you really don't notices these things when you look at them every day.

I know these are both "easy" SPS, but it's certainly encouraging for me, having never hosted any kind of SPS before.

Setosa%20Growth_zpsbuljdnf0.jpg

Stylo%20Growth_zpsydyrm364.jpg

• Like 3

Just ordered my gear to upgrade the Vortech MP10w EcoSmart to the MP10w Quiet Drive. Allegedly reduces noise up to 90%, increases flow up to 40%, and introduces their new "Gyre" mode. I suppose this is an attempt to keep up with the MaxSpect product?

Anyway, I love EcoTech products, and the upgraded driver isn't too expensive so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's not going to be released for a few more weeks, so stay tuned.

EStoQD.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on the new mp driver, but just to clarify, the 40% flow increase is only for the mp40 and requires a new wet side for it. Also, the gyre mode is nothing but long pulse mode renamed. Still think the upgrade is worth it though if you get that noise reduction. Good luck

Congrats on the new mp driver, but just to clarify, the 40% flow increase is only for the mp40 and requires a new wet side for it. Also, the gyre mode is nothing but long pulse mode renamed. Still think the upgrade is worth it though if you get that noise reduction. Good luck

Thanks for the heads up, the literature on this thing is a little confusing.

Did you have to send in your mp10 to get upgraded or are you doing it yourself?

It's just a driver update, so there's not much to do.

Looking good!

I moved so tank got moved and had a 60% water change.

I just up my lighting to 80%. I had it on 75% for a few weeks and colors look good, growth ok (except for the montipora and Red Planets).

My alk and Ca are stable with a weekly water change which kind of worries me, would like to see consumption.

My apologies for the over-load of "likes" from me LOL. But there's just toooo much to love in here. And that video was awesome! I felt like I was looking at a reef in the ocean..great music :). How the heck do you get anything done at work? :lol:

Looking good!

I moved so tank got moved and had a 60% water change.

I just up my lighting to 80%. I had it on 75% for a few weeks and colors look good, growth ok (except for the montipora and Red Planets).

My alk and Ca are stable with a weekly water change which kind of worries me, would like to see consumption.

Nice. I want to ramp up my Radion, but it's a pain because my work laptop has some security measures in it that won't let it talk to the lights. So I have to borrow a laptop...

Looks like you're getting some good growth. I like it!

My apologies for the over-load of "likes" from me LOL. But there's just toooo much to love in here. And that video was awesome! I felt like I was looking at a reef in the ocean..great music :). How the heck do you get anything done at work? :lol:

Thank you Gena. It's a constant distraction, which is good for me! The video was kind of fun, and I laugh when I watch it because that Midas Blenny is such a photo bomber!

No apologies necessary! I'm a big fan of your tank... and I hope you saw that I have a little bit of it in my tank! I know I've talked about that monti-cap a lot, but I really do love it.

omg, you just sold me on the 45g! the dimension is so awesome and i love ur scape and ur corals and ur fish and everything. i can't wait to upgrade!!!

Wow... thanks! That means a lot coming from a TOTM'er! I was looking at the profile page they did for you, and it seems like you've been a big influence on a lot of people on this forum. It's a very cool thing!

I love your tank by the way. I have the naked version of the PicO 12.5 gallon shallow sitting in my garage. I'm going to be moving soon, but when I do, I'm totally planning on ripping off Brad's mangrove tank design...

• Like 2