SaltCritters.com

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Need to sell my Flipper Nano.
Just bought it at MACNA, my glass is too thick for it.
$25 with 2 extra blades

If I didn't have 2 already I'd buy it! They are great.

Do you feed your corals at night? If you do does that include Aminos, Vitamins, Phyto as well as Roids or other particle coral food? I was reading the AquaForest pamphlet and that's what they recommend.

• Like 1

If I didn't have 2 already I'd buy it! They are great.

Do you feed your corals at night? If you do does that include Aminos, Vitamins, Phyto as well as Roids or other particle coral food? I was reading the AquaForest pamphlet and that's what they recommend.

The thought process there is that corals are nocturnal feeders, that is why you see PE at night. However aquacultured corals have learned that there is food during the day. I don't know if they really have a way to learn something new when years of evolution has programmed something different.

To answer your question - I fed at night a few times. Not really consistently. What I feed depends on my mood, sometimes I will pour in some phyto, other times some rotifers, or roids. I also use micro-vert from Continuum which is a liquid food so sometimes that. Sometimes a bit of reef blizzard from Brightwell. I try not to repeat foods except the mysis for my fish every day. :D

The thought process there is that corals are nocturnal feeders, that is why you see PE at night. However aquacultured corals have learned that there is food during the day. I don't know if they really have a way to learn something new when years of evolution has programmed something different.

To answer your question - I fed at night a few times. Not really consistently. What I feed depends on my mood, sometimes I will pour in some phyto, other times some rotifers, or roids. I also use micro-vert from Continuum which is a liquid food so sometimes that. Sometimes a bit of reef blizzard from Brightwell. I try not to repeat foods except the mysis for my fish every day. :D

Little of this little of that. I get it :P

How long do you wait for PE after lights out? I mean mine have great PE all day so how can you tell?

MOAR night stalking pictures.

Batmans are everywhere! I seem to have about 5 very large adults, and could spot 5 or so juveniles.

29697913875_e79efceb86_h.jpg

Spot the sleeper

29662333076_8a2901a23b_h.jpg

And an upskirt of the Katropora because you always wanted one :D

29697913655_177d761ddb_h.jpg

In other news. I took down my fish trap. The clowns continue to spawn and mama has not been hurt. The Tang doesn't go close to the eggs as I saw her do during that second clutch where there was some aggression. I am not sure what changed but I am watching.

I am on a mission to find a "real" aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp. Evil gave me some tips on FB on what to look for. Meanwhile the 2 imposter peps just chill together under the zoa rock on the far right of the tank.

Little of this little of that. I get it :P

How long do you wait for PE after lights out? I mean mine have great PE all day so how can you tell?

I don't wait. If I see it I do a little dance but I try not to stalk the talk too much. Once a week with a flashlight. The fish get startled with a flashlight so I don't want to do it too often.

• Like 6

Need to sell my Flipper Nano.
Just bought it at MACNA, my glass is too thick for it.
$25 with 2 extra blades

Too bad. These are awesome cleaners. You should get the standard size - I used it in my 60 and 40g tanks and it was amazing.

Too bad. These are awesome cleaners. You should get the standard size - I used it in my 60 and 40g tanks and it was amazing.

I have the standard size. :blush:

I thought it was unwieldy, could never get to the corners properly and I didn't know how to flip it (got a lesson at MACNA)

Maybe I just need new blades and to give it another shot. I've been using Continuum Aquablade which is good.

Text me a picture?

I'll shoot one for you this weekend. We're going away tomorrow to collect stuff to make food out of tomorrow. With losing Benny, we all need a day away.

Handle scrapers will give you more control in the corners, but it seems my blade needs to be replaced pretty quickly for the cleanest end result.

If you have a piece of very fine sandpaper, you can even it out that way, but it needs to be 1000 grit paper. If you use a lower grit, you WILL scratch the glass.

• Like 1

I have the standard size. :blush:

I thought it was unwieldy, could never get to the corners properly and I didn't know how to flip it (got a lesson at MACNA)

Maybe I just need new blades and to give it another shot. I've been using Continuum Aquablade which is good.

yeah, it takes some skill to flip around. I changed the blades every 6 months because I found that when scraping coraline the blade would dent a little and then become less usable over time

• Like 1

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

Gosh! Too much drama. My niece had an incident at school this week, a few girls ganged up on her and complained about her to the teacher, falsely accusing her of something. She's a soft spoken sweet kid. Okay, things happen (and we will address the bullying with the school). Well, she was having a joint birthday party with one of those girls next week and the 'gang' is also invited. So of course she doesn't want to do the party together anymore. Invitations have gone out, deposits paid. AIYAYIYAYI. Okay. Before changing things, I asked the moms of 2 of her closest friends to ask their kids what happened, just to be clear and to prevent us making a mountain out of a molehill. They couldn't help. Now everybody is in that I didn't see anything mode. The worst offender seems to be the girl that was her very first friend in school. Someone she even wrote an essay about last week for extra credit. About how she is her BFF, she will never have another friend. Her first life lesson and I can't help feeling angry on her behalf. She's 8. Too much drama!

• Like 2

Oh I'm not done yet. Yesterday was back to school night. My brother usually attends my nephews class teacher meeting and I attend my niece's since we've gone through that class with my nephew before. All students have their name on a big paper label across the top of their desk. This morning on my nephews desk, his label had "VOTE FOR TRUMP" written in black marker. He brought it to his teacher's attention who determined that it was an adult's handwriting. Shameful.

Anyone that votes for Chump or Hitlary should have their asses shaved with a broken beer bottle and mace and the one that wrote that on the desk should have salt applied their ass after said shaving is complete. ;) I can fix stupid Kat, really, I can. I spent a lot of time in trouble for knocking the shit out of bullys when I was in school. De oppresso liber.

• Like 4

Having raised two daughters, I SO understand your frustration with the drama. My oldest had a tough time of it from 6th -8th grade. It was hard knowing when to step in or just let her work it out. Most times she did. Now my granddaughter (she turned 10 today) is starting to go through some drama of her own. Bullying has escalated with every generation. It's scary how kids treat each other now days. Your niece is so lucky to have an Auntie who cares and supports her. Hang in there, it does get better.

• Like 2

Having raised two daughters, I SO understand your frustration with the drama. My oldest had a tough time of it from 6th -8th grade. It was hard knowing when to step in or just let her work it out. Most times she did. Now my granddaughter (she turned 10 today) is starting to go through some drama of her own. Bullying has escalated with every generation. It's scary how kids treat each other now days. Your niece is so lucky to have an Auntie who cares and supports her. Hang in there, it does get better.

Thank you, I appreciate your words of support.

Sorry, Kat. Daughter #2 will be in middle school next year and I'm not looking forward to it. Mean middle school girls are the meanest :(

I have many more guy friends for this reason, I just have no patience for stupidity and back-stabbing. Have at it and then get lost.

• Like 5

Anyone that votes for Chump or Hitlary should have their asses shaved with a broken beer bottle and mace and the one that wrote that on the desk should have salt applied their ass after said shaving is complete. ;) I can fix stupid Kat, really, I can. I spent a lot of time in trouble for knocking the shit out of bullys when I was in school. De oppresso liber.

Best post I've seen all year.

• Like 2