Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Sounds like a forest fire digitata. They have several colors but as with any SPS, colors morph in different tanks. It's one of my fav digitatas but I wasn't able to keep the green flesh color :(

He's differentiating the two and calling his a Turquoise Fire Monti

"the entire body is metallic neon green instead of just the tips and makes the forest fire look so lame"

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/starwerks1/media/IMG_6809_zpsxqmjiy5m.jpg.html

Not sure if the image link works, I can't access photobucket at work.

"the entire body is metallic neon green instead of just the tops and makes the forest fire look so lame"

Given the color of the frag rack in that photo, I feel like it is heavily photoshopped. I could be wrong though.

• Like 2

Given the color of the frag rack in that photo, I feel like it is heavily photoshopped. I could be wrong though.

Take a look at the rest of his pictures, they're all pretty consistent as far as the other colors that appear around the item for sale and not everything is as bright as the digi (from what I remember)

http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/showthread.php?74923-Flower-nems-and-all-kinds-of-nice-frags-in-OC-(can-ship)&highlight=

"the entire body is metallic neon green instead of just the tips and makes the forest fire look so lame"

I think Cultivated reef had some of that also. PGR bought it but I don't know if he still has it.

Take a look at the rest of his pictures, they're all pretty consistent as far as the other colors that appear around the item for sale and not everything is as bright as the digi (from what I remember)

http://www.socalireefs.com/forums/showthread.php?74923-Flower-nems-and-all-kinds-of-nice-frags-in-OC-(can-ship)&highlight=

can't see the photos actually - I need to have an account! But I think that's good if the others weren't as colorful and that was.

The only problem is that the frag he's got for sale hasn't even started branching yet...basically makes it feel like a sunset monti. I mean...where's the fun in that.

I placed all my SPS last night, going to try and get some pics tonight. I put 5 of the 6 on the big shelf to the left.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

He definitely appears to be in on the 'secret'. http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/exposing-the-truth-how-to-take-unreal-pics-with-your-dslr-or-you-are-exposed.213126/
  • Like 1

This, this, this, this, this, this, this.

There is two types of photo editing, pixel level editing and development editing. Pixel level editing is the classic "photoshop me into this picture" kind of editing. Developmental editing is where you vary levels across the entire picture. The difference between a lot of average photos and stunning photos is actually simply good "post processing", a.k.a. developmental editing. Cameras take a Red, Green, and Blue light measurement. That measurement is then "developed" from the "raw" file into a jpg by weighting each of those channels. In the link Ben posted the OP of that thread is deliberately making the camera weight the blue channel to near zero, thus only showing red and green. As correctly pointed out in stellablue's post, how much "color processing" has been done can generally be determined by looking for things in the photo that should be white. Note in Ben's links the drastic difference in color of the egg crate.

Just for fun, I went back and grabbed the last coral photo I posted and go to both extremes of what I could do with simple color balance and still look "reasonable". I'll leave it up to y'all to decide what the coral actually looks like. I did this in post processing, but if I made the effort I could do this "straight out of camera" too, using the techniques outlined in Ben's post.

58k2QJz.jpg

MObxraq.jpg

S6R0enF.jpg

• Like 5
jedimasterben

It's also pretty amazing how many people posting in that thread were thinking it was a legitimate 'how-to', made me facepalm so much. Shit like that brings down the hobby. :(

• Like 4

It's also pretty amazing how many people posting in that thread were thinking it was a legitimate 'how-to', made me facepalm so much. Shit like that brings down the hobby. :(

the pre photos in that thread look so much better than the post photos (custom white balance ones). I don't know how people fall for it, its obvious with the amount of green in the photos, but than again I come from a photography background, and I still struggle getting realistic folders. I see these corals on facebook every day on the frag swap pages, and the sps pages, and I cannot believe people pay this money for what they are getting both size and faked colors.

every time I use a custom white balance though I hate how th ephotos look. I try to just pull all levels equal in the tank now when taking photos and that works best so far.

• Like 1

Kat would you say that Ora red Goni is hardy? That's the wife's fav coral we've tried a few green ones in the past that have lasted quite awhile but slowly died. Thinking of grabbing a frag of the Ora one.

Here's a question for John: what does he think of the recent BRStv episode in which they claimed that it's possible to have too many snails in your clean up crew? :lol:

• Like 1

Here's a question for John: what does he think of the recent BRStv episode in which they claimed that it's possible to have too many snails in your clean up crew? :lol:

:)

Going to be talking with him in T minus 90 minutes. I'll ask.

• Like 1

After reading that book to three kids, I'm pretty sure I still have it memorized. I had to read your post twice before I realized that wasn't quite what you said :lol:

Those are awesome cakes :wub:

• Like 2