Top Shelf Aquatics

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Polarcollision

Thanks for the info- looks like I need to get another test kit. I was hoping my weekly 5 gal. W/C was handling a lot of the other elements but I am sure that's not the case to all. I will try that for sure. What level do you keep you iodine? Does it get used up daily or are you making adjustments weekly? Any recommendations on a test kit and iodine brand to dose? Thanks for sharing

I think carbon absorbs iodine. Also skimming depletes it. Of course growing corals/life do as well.

Technically, iodide is what you want to dose in the form of potassium iodide. RedSea is my current test kit from the I,K,Fe pro set which measures all forms of iodine as a total. But honestly, I test about 2x/year -- it's so complicated/time consuming. Anyways, when I tested more regularly it always read low. Same with potassium. I had Lugols solution from kent on hand which is iodine plus potassium iodide. Good enough for now.

Started with a drop a week and watched the corals response. Purples improved. Gotta tell ya, I'd read that zoas and crabs/shrimp need iodine. Within a week of dosing, zoa color is so much more vibrant, they even stopped with their crinkled skirts. AND the pom pom crab molted for the first time in almost a year. Anyways, I take all of that as evidence levels are better. Purples could still improve more so I figure I'll bump it up to 2 drops a week (24g) and see how it goes. That amount makes me nervous so testing will happen again until I know what the tank uses up.

0.06 is your target.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think carbon absorbs iodine. Also skimming depletes it. Of course growing corals/life do as well.

Technically, iodide is what you want to dose in the form of potassium iodide. RedSea is my current test kit from the I,K,Fe pro set which measures all forms of iodine as a total. But honestly, I test about 2x/year -- it's so complicated/time consuming. Anyways, when I tested more regularly it always read low. Same with potassium. I had Lugols solution from kent on hand which is iodine plus potassium iodide. Good enough for now.

Started with a drop a week and watched the corals response. Purples improved. Gotta tell ya, I'd read that zoas and crabs/shrimp need iodine. Within a week of dosing, zoa color is so much more vibrant, they even stopped with their crinkled skirts. AND the pom pom crab molted for the first time in almost a year. Anyways, I take all of that as evidence levels are better. Purples could still improve more so I figure I'll bump it up to 2 drops a week (24g) and see how it goes. That amount makes me nervous so testing will happen again until I know what the tank uses up.

0.06 is your target.

Great! Thanks for the info- just when I got my Alk.,Ca. And Mg. dialed you drop the bomb- haha kidding- keeps it interesting! Thanks for the detailed info. It will be interesting to see - my shrimp has been moltIng fairly regularly - about once a month he is an eating machine so hopefully that's a good sign. I've also been wondering about potassium though so I should probably start checking that as well. I'll try to get some iodine this weekend and begin ? I run a small amount of carbon in a reactor constantly so I am sure I am reducing trace elements - I just hoped my W/C would help it - but it makes sense that I am only helping the same % that I am changing water. I would love to see better PE on my Bonsai- have you posted any pics of your bonsai ?

Polarcollision

Great! Thanks for the info- just when I got my Alk.,Ca. And Mg. dialed you drop the bomb- haha kidding- keeps it interesting! Thanks for the detailed info. It will be interesting to see - my shrimp has been moltIng fairly regularly - about once a month he is an eating machine so hopefully that's a good sign. I've also been wondering about potassium though so I should probably start checking that as well. I'll try to get some iodine this weekend and begin I run a small amount of carbon in a reactor constantly so I am sure I am reducing trace elements - I just hoped my W/C would help it - but it makes sense that I am only helping the same % that I am changing water. I would love to see better PE on my Bonsai- have you posted any pics of your bonsai ?

You know, potassium could be part of it too since it's being dosed in Lugols as well. Here's the GARF bonsai before dosing. Mostly brown and polyps are somewhat retracted.

Typ7oQ1.jpg

This is before the cat broke the chiller. The purple was OK, could be better, but polyps were retracted even more. Anyways, I don't have a current picture, but the purple is back to this after dosing.

8UkgTR6.jpg

You know, potassium could be part of it too since it's being dosed in Lugols as well. Here's the GARF bonsai before dosing. Mostly brown and polyps are somewhat retracted.

Typ7oQ1.jpg

This is before the cat broke the chiller. The purple was OK, could be better, but polyps were retracted even more. Anyways, I don't have a current picture, but the purple is back to this after dosing.

8UkgTR6.jpg

Great pics- I am on it- I've stayed away from my lfs for 2 weeks - feels like forever so I'll go see what they have for iodine and potassium- Lugols handles them both- perfect! Cat broke the chiller?? Expensive mistake- how'd it do that? Gonna do a smaller 2 gal. W/C tonight - maybe go back to 2 gallons twice a week.

Love this guy :wub:.

Ya - such a neat fish- the clowns could care less about him. I was hoping he might develop a taste for my few turf algae spots but no luck- the Emearld grab has ignored it also- haven't seen em go after my bubble algae either? maybe once it eats everything else

Polarcollision

Great pics- I am on it- I've stayed away from my lfs for 2 weeks - feels like forever so I'll go see what they have for iodine and potassium- Lugols handles them both- perfect! Cat broke the chiller?? Expensive mistake- how'd it do that? Gonna do a smaller 2 gal. W/C tonight - maybe go back to 2 gallons twice a week.

If you've got to buy something regardless, I'd be interested to know how straight potassium iodide works for you. It's supposed to be inexpensive at drugstores, though if you can find something made for reefs it will include dosing instruction.

Here's my cliff notes from reading Randy Holmes Farley in case it helps: Iodide is the biologically active form and is most quickly depleted. Iodine (extra ingredient in lugols) rapidly converts to other forms, including iodate which tends to build up in our aquariums and is toxic.

Lets see a new FTS ;)

Ya- I haven't gotten one in a while- been enjoying the macro lens. I am in Cali working for a few days get one when I get back. Got the wife on feeding and dosing duty?

Enjoy the sunshine. Definitely look forward to the updated FTS :)

Ya!! With the artic cold that came through Co. It is a nice change for sure!

Ya!! With the artic cold that came through Co. It is a nice change for sure!

I hear ya, Flint has a little snow on the ground.... so not ready for this crap :(

I hear ya, Flint has a little snow on the ground.... so not ready for this crap :(

That's for sure we went from 65-70 one week to 3 and some light snow-been to cold to even shovel my pool out?. We usually have so much sun we sk8 yr. round easily- it can only be 40 out but if the sun is out it feels pretty warm. I think it's warming to mid 40's next week

That's for sure we went from 65-70 one week to 3 and some light snow-been to cold to even shovel my pool out. We usually have so much sun we sk8 yr. round easily- it can only be 40 out but if the sun is out it feels pretty warm. I think it's warming to mid 40's next week

Yeah we are well below our average thats for sure :( I stopped looking at the weather it was to depressing. I can't change it anyways so I guess if I wake up and its a few degrees warmer it will be a pleasant surprise :)

Hey there Nano reefers I've been lurking for to long and it's time to join in the community. I've been keeping salt/reef tanks for 20+ years with moderate to good success and plenty of enjoyment . I got out of the hobby about 4 years ago due to the classic "vacation disaster" when my power went out and did not come back on for a few days in the winter. I think I just wore my wife out talking about a reef tank and she agreed we should set up a nano. Boom- it was on ! I decided on the clean look of the IM Nuvo 16. Here's the breakdown

Tank Specs

IM Nuvo 16

Lighting- 2 IM stock 14k 8watts each. AI nano w/ controller

Flow- upgraded to Sicce 1.5 (358gph) 2 IM spin streams

Heater- Aqueon 100watt

Media Reactor- IM mini max - run carbon ( regularly ) and GFO ( sparingly)

ATO- JBJ

Stand- Ikea

Water specs

Salinity- 1.024

Ph- 8.0- 8.2

Calcium- 400-420

Alkalinity- 7-8

Phos- .03-.05

Temp- 78

Nitrate-0

I decided to take a new approach (for me) to my livestock. I will only buy livestock from one store. I will use the same salt ( Kent) as them and also get my RO/DI water from them. To many times I have been caught up in that " beautiful " coral ( in a crappy looking tank) and purchased from any store I walk into- that has changed. It is quite liberating just going to one store for coral and fish. I am lucky here in Denver to be able to take this approach with a great store that is truly a partnership and have a great variety of SPS and other coral. They can frag from their own tanks and also from the many they maintain . I am making one exception to this rule- I will make one or two purchases from MACNA this year but that is the only " outside " source that will be added in. I think this approach has helped the early success of this tank and I plan on continuing with this practice.

Nuvo 16 3/20/14

imagejpg2_zpsd73188bd.jpg

3/24/14 Filled up with 13lbs. Live rock - came right from stores main frag tank- little to no cycle time- it was more like moving a tank . Added two Picasso clowns and a cleaner shrimp. Just using stock lights and returns at this time.

imagejpg3_zps8dbfd873.jpg

imagejpg4_zps140ec898.jpg

4/19/14 Started to add some frags

imagejpg19_zps8375de07.jpg

imagejpg16_zps0b587ddc.jpg

I've seen some nice growth from everyone over the last 4-5 months- these pics are over a month old

imagejpg1_zpsafcd5777.jpg

imagejpg3_zps5b522be1.jpg

imagejpg2_zps95cee28f.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsda2951a6.jpg

Here's how the tank sits today

imagejpg31_zpscb90100d.jpg

imagejpg19_zps67e61507.jpg

imagejpg11_zps36976da7.jpg

imagejpg63_zpsef5f57e8.jpg

imagejpg9_zpsb70c93e7.jpg

Water parameters have been in check with weekly 5 gal. water changes. The elevated level of Calcium in the Kent salt has enabled me to keep calcium around 400- I am sure as my coralline and coral grow I will have to start dosing. Probably go with the BRS 2 part dosing units. I have been resistant to adding power heads in the tank( don't like the look) and the larger return pump and the spin streams really provide good water flow around the system. I feed the tank twice daily- flake w/ garlic in the morning/ afternoon and then evening a mixture of reef chili, Roti feast, Phyto feast, marine cuisine and mysis shrimp. An occasional up in the middle of the night additional feeding of Reef Chili. Thanks for checking it out , looking forward to more communication with the community. Maybe I'll see ya at MACNA this year!

Thanks, Scott

Is that a green Monti Cap with blue edges? Is there a name for that color morph? Looks awesome.

Is that a green Monti Cap with blue edges? Is there a name for that color morph? Looks awesome.

I've only heard it referred to as a green cap - the edges are actually purple. You can see it better in other pictures I've posted. That's an iPad shot and the ipad struggles with capturing the true purple color on this coral. yes it is a really nice coral- thx for cking things out

How much alk and ca does your tank consume in a day?

I dose in the morning and evening. 20-25 Alk. And Ca. Each in the morning then another 20-25 each in the evening- depending on my testing- I mostly just test Alk. Everyday and Ca. Every few days- Ca. Has a much easier spread than Alk. I was at 20/20 but the last week it has been rising- probably due to growth. Mg. Is also dosed but once I reached my goal of 1320-50 I only need 10-15 to maintain it.

Emerald has a new spot

a4dfada45988f9e0bf0241a5aa19c805_zpsabe8

Birdsnest is crazy how it doesn't encrust- it's about the size of half a softball and just a spindley little base

6bdc6c65c0fe8a60fd2cd75950577400_zpsdc65

Birdsnest is crazy how it doesn't encrust- it's about the size of half a softball and just a spindley little base

Be VERY careful!! BF's birdsnest did that and of course he bumped it while moving other things. Snapped right off. It's still ok, cause he was able to stick the skeleton of it into a small hole. I'm sure he could re-glue it to a plug, but still, it could have really gotten damaged as it broke off...

Be VERY careful!! BF's birdsnest did that and of course he bumped it while moving other things. Snapped right off. It's still ok, cause he was able to stick the skeleton of it into a small hole. I'm sure he could re-glue it to a plug, but still, it could have really gotten damaged as it broke off...

Yes, it is pretty fragile- but I can pick it up and move it around. I've accidently pumped it and broke it free once? I used that opportunity to attach it to a flat rock that I can easily move around. Sure wish it would encrust and become more stable though!

Yes, it is pretty fragile- but I can pick it up and move it around. I've accidently pumped it and broke it free once? I used that opportunity to attach it to a flat rock that I can easily move around. Sure wish it would encrust and become more stable though!

I agree! Makes me worried for other people's corals! Glad yours is stable and you're being careful!

Yes, it is pretty fragile- but I can pick it up and move it around. I've accidently pumped it and broke it free once I used that opportunity to attach it to a flat rock that I can easily move around. Sure wish it would encrust and become more stable though!

It doesn't encrust because it gets no light from the large body covering it....

It doesn't encrust because it gets no light from the large body covering it....

Even my little frags I broke off accidently aren't encrusting and just starting to branch- which is a bummer cause my hermits tend to dislodge them regularly ?

Archived