SaltCritters.com

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

After reading all the horror stories I'm terrified I will come home to an exploded Nuvo 24

From my understanding the issue is only with the gen1 16's.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sk8n your pics have really convinced me into a tailspot I'm just worried if he can handle my gph turn over. Would you know what yours happens to be? I got 800 in a 5.5 so like 140x

From my understanding the issue is only with the gen1 16's.

I also read somewhere it was around a 1% failure rate. Still 1 out of 100 is still a risk. I took my mp10 off. I have a hydor koralia 240 attached to the back acrylic, with the magnet in the media basket. Actually helps the basket stay in place too.

Sk8n your pics have really convinced me into a tailspot I'm just worried if he can handle my gph turn over. Would you know what yours happens to be? I got 800 in a 5.5 so like 140x
I have a Sicce 1.5 pump that is on full- 358 gph- 2 spin streams keeps everyone moving. Ya - you have a lot of flow- they don't seem to be the strongest swimmer- not sure how they would handle that- are there any areas that mellow out with the rock placement? He tends to like tom"perch" in areas for short bits, They are super cool fish- glad I got 'em

I also read somewhere it was around a 1% failure rate. Still 1 out of 100 is still a risk. I took my mp10 off. I have a hydor koralia 240 attached to the back acrylic, with the magnet in the media basket. Actually helps the basket stay in place too.
Ya I thought about adding one on the back- good idea running it through the media basket. I have 2 Hydor nanos with controller I got on Craigslist for a smokin deal- but I've been afraid to add them. I also worry about them pushing water at the rounded corners

Well I have a 500gph powerhead and a 300gph rated aquaclear 70. So who knows how true to that it is. I was just curious what your flow was like in that sps tank with him

Well I have a 500gph powerhead and a 300gph rated aquaclear 70. So who knows how true to that it is. I was just curious what your flow was like in that sps tank with him

I've kept it simple with an upgraded pump and spin streams- could there be more flow- absolutely , but everyone is happy right now so I am not sure if I need to add some- but if it wasn't for the Nuvo failures I probably would try a powerhead just to see the reaction for the corals. Some of the larger pieces might get belted to much from a powerhead. The spin streams keep the water going in all different directions - which I really like. Can't say enough about the Sicce pump and spin streams - been very happy with both

Oh man...the idea of an exploded tank all over my carpet (I live in a rental too)... :tears:

Find out if it's gen. 1 or 2- there's a thread on here that explains the difference- size compartments of the 1st chamber is a difference you can measure- might give you piece of mind- I havent ck'd mine but I sent my serial # to IM - they said I am good we will see???

Argh!! Came home to my Millepora stinging my green cap- they weren't that close a week ago?. Burnt my cap pretty bad- rearranged the center section again- actually got the cap some good room- took about an hr. to rearrange ? snapped a pice of my green Birdsnest- getting a nice little frag colony going?

Accidental frags starting to branch at the tips- made a few more accidents tonight while rearranging - I'll get some pics this week of the new additions

imagejpg8_zpsc7704e97.jpg

Polarcollision

How have I missed this thread?? What a beautiful, vibrant tank you have! It looks much larger than the 16 gallons. Following now! What is the blue coral in the center? If you ever frag it, keep me in mind!

imagejpg3_zps8fe599cb.jpg

Yes. I have no clue when to stop reading the Red Sea alk test. The how-to video says 'and now it's pink so you're done', but the card says it needs to be red. And if you keep adding reagent, it does turn red. Help.

Thinking about making the switch from salifert test kits to redsea. Redsea' reef foundation 3pk (Alk.,Ca.,Mg.) has more test per item and substantial cheaper. I blew through my Saliferts's fairly quick- anyone have any input between the two?

Hahaha your post made me laugh out loud- jeez I hear ya! I was hoping Red Sea might be better at an exact number but I guess that's what you get from a hobby level test kit. I've been using Salifert's Mg. And Ca. And it's like it turns color but.......it turns better with one more drop- so I split the difference. Same with my Tropic marine KH test. The Hanna phosphate cker is cool - only because it's digital- I get different reading 3 times in a row- I take the average . The only "tester" I've really enjoyed and can't live without is my Milwaukee digital refractometer. It's awesome- same number after multiple test- super stoked on that! You have to ( well u don't have to but I do) calibrate it each time but it takes seconds

OMG. Same here! LOL Somewhere in my thread are pictures and NanoTopia clearing up what color to look for. It's pretty crazy the shades of 'pink' even change from daylight to incandescent bulbs. I gave up and went back to elos test kit for KH. It's only .5 KH resolution, but you know exactly when it's done. I felt like the RedSea wasn't as accurate even with the potential to be more precise since the pink color is so hard to read.

Hey- thanks - ya I am stoked on the setosa- hopefully it will take off. The clowns are a happy pair

Love the setosa. It's pretty much indestructible in my tank. I'm sure you'll have no problems with it.

imagejpg4_zps9cfc8a09.jpg

Fun fish. They snack on the green algae film leaving little kiss marks on the glass, so mine is named KissyFace. Maybe keep an eye on your little guy. Those little white patches under the eye aren't standard--hopefully its just stress and they heal up.

Thank you! I believe it is- I sent Brian @ IM my serial number and he said I have nothing to worry about I hope he is right? I still need to take measurements and really ck.- still won't add a powerhead though

Nice little guy I also have a Nuvo 16 not sure which generation it is....keeping my fingers crossed it is the non- cracking generation

I have a Sicce 1.5 pump that is on full- 358 gph- 2 spin streams keeps everyone moving. Ya - you have a lot of flow- they don't seem to be the strongest swimmer- not sure how they would handle that- are there any areas that mellow out with the rock placement? He tends to like tom"perch" in areas for short bits, They are super cool fish- glad I got 'em

Ya I thought about adding one on the back- good idea running it through the media basket. I have 2 Hydor nanos with controller I got on Craigslist for a smokin deal- but I've been afraid to add them. I also worry about them pushing water at the rounded corners

This came up on my thread too. I was paranoid enough to call IM to get the scoop. Rental place with wood floors makes me paranoid even with insurance! They said it's around 1% failure rate even though it seems like much higher from stories on NR. If you take into consideration that the thinner glass with more issues makes up more of those failures then your chances go down even more. After that, they said the three main contributors are #1 a stand that you wouldn't jump on holding up the tank. #2 Ecotech pumps. just don't. the vibrations transfer directly to the glass. It's like whacking it multiple times a minute. #3 unlevel waterline. Mine is just 1/8" off but they still suggested leveling the stand to equalize the pressures.

Hope that helps you sleep better at night!

How have I missed this thread?? What a beautiful, vibrant tank you have! It looks much larger than the 16 gallons. Following now! What is the blue coral in the center? If you ever frag it, keep me in mind!

OMG. Same here! LOL Somewhere in my thread are pictures and NanoTopia clearing up what color to look for. It's pretty crazy the shades of 'pink' even change from daylight to incandescent bulbs. I gave up and went back to elos test kit for KH. It's only .5 KH resolution, but you know exactly when it's done. I felt like the RedSea wasn't as accurate even with the potential to be more precise since the pink color is so hard to read.

Love the setosa. It's pretty much indestructible in my tank. I'm sure you'll have no problems with it.

Fun fish. They snack on the green algae film leaving little kiss marks on the glass, so mine is named KissyFace. Maybe keep an eye on your little guy. Those little white patches under the eye aren't standard--hopefully its just stress and they heal up.

This came up on my thread too. I was paranoid enough to call IM to get the scoop. Rental place with wood floors makes me paranoid even with insurance! They said it's around 1% failure rate even though it seems like much higher from stories on NR. If you take into consideration that the thinner glass with more issues makes up more of those failures then your chances go down even more. After that, they said the three main contributors are #1 a stand that you wouldn't jump on holding up the tank. #2 Ecotech pumps. just don't. the vibrations transfer directly to the glass. It's like whacking it multiple times a minute. #3 unlevel waterline. Mine is just 1/8" off but they still suggested leveling the stand to equalize the pressures.

Hope that helps you sleep better at night!

Hey there- thanks for cking things out- lots of great information you just gave me.

My Blenny- good to know- I will definitely watch and see if the white marks go away- he is settle in so maybe he'll "heal" up - thx for that! Ya it's funny- he makes a big move toward the glass or a piece of rock to grab a snack- kissyface- lol- I tasked my wife to come up with a good name

The blue coral is a Montipora Digitata - one of my 1st frags- really took off- we call him #1. It's really encrusting and changing shape. When it's fragging time I will hit you up.

The setosa is really a great color- hopefully it will remain- I like how the polyps aren't in clusters.

Elos- I've never tried those- I like that it goes in .5 - that would definitely help- I'll have to try that

The tank- argh - I know it's been scary for a lot of people I am sure. Although I love the idea of the ecotech- I always wondered about the stress they can cause- no powerhead near my tank- not even in the stand. From your points- I am doing everything right-solid stand , no ecotech- or any powerhead and everything is level. Have you heard of any concerns with using the pedestal stand- a few people have raised this as a question- mines on- can't really remove it at this point- thanks for all that- does make me a little more comfortable.

Again, thanks for cking things out and sharing information!

You have saved me. I found the thread and then found another one where Veng points out that because it's a titration curve, the equivalency point is just the moment the solution changes color, not the moment it hits a specific shade of whatever. I'm going to go retest alk now.

That was the same problem I had when I first got the test. I watched the videos and then tested and could never get that dark color he got. Then I did a little research on the test and realized it was at the color change no matter what. Mine only get like a faint orange, rust color nothing like the video shows

Polarcollision

Hey there- thanks for cking things out- lots of great information you just gave me.My Blenny- good to know- I will definitely watch and see if the white marks go away- he is settle in so maybe he'll "heal" up - thx for that! Ya it's funny- he makes a big move toward the glass or a piece of rock to grab a snack- kissyface- lol- I tasked my wife to come up with a good nameThe blue coral is a Montipora Digitata - one of my 1st frags- really took off- we call him #1. It's really encrusting and changing shape. When it's fragging time I will hit you up. The setosa is really a great color- hopefully it will remain- I like how the polyps aren't in clusters.Elos- I've never tried those- I like that it goes in .5 - that would definitely help- I'll have to try thatThe tank- argh - I know it's been scary for a lot of people I am sure. Although I love the idea of the ecotech- I always wondered about the stress they can cause- no powerhead near my tank- not even in the stand. From your points- I am doing everything right-solid stand , no ecotech- or any powerhead and everything is level. Have you heard of any concerns with using the pedestal stand- a few people have raised this as a question- mines on- can't really remove it at this point- thanks for all that- does make me a little more comfortable.Again, thanks for cking things out and sharing information!

I bet the blenny will be just fine, it just caught me a bit. KissyFace gets bite marks every time she gets in the clown's brood space. They heal up in a day or two and she doesn't ever shy away from the space so I guess it's not that serious.

Oooh! I'll be looking for a blue digi at the LFS anniversary sale this Friday. Crossing my fingers. If not, I'll trade(if you want) an orange digi frag for the blue!

Sometimes when all drops to 5, the setosa loses some of it's vibrance, but it has never browned or even threatened to STN. You take good care of your levels, unlike me. :-) LOVE that piece. Fast grower too.

So they said the pedestal was fine. Something about forces distributed and what parts actually bear weight in an aquarium. Don't completely grasp the physics of it, but the guy I talked to didn't think it was an issue at all. My understanding is that the pedestal is correlation, not cause, especially if the stand is weak, bowed, or unlevel. Ya know? I asked if there was a way to know if the glass was stressed. I had seen a cool technique where a flexed CD showed stress fractures even when they weren't apparent to the naked eye. It doesn't really apply to glass, but it *might* be possible to look down through the slim edge when a flashlight/penlight illuminates that column area to see stress lines. Huge emphasis on 'might'.

You have saved me. I found the thread and then found another one where Veng points out that because it's a titration curve, the equivalency point is just the moment the solution changes color, not the moment it hits a specific shade of whatever. I'm going to go retest alk now.

Thanks for posting a link to that thread?

I bet the blenny will be just fine, it just caught me a bit. KissyFace gets bite marks every time she gets in the clown's brood space. They heal up in a day or two and she doesn't ever shy away from the space so I guess it's not that serious.

Oooh! I'll be looking for a blue digi at the LFS anniversary sale this Friday. Crossing my fingers. If not, I'll trade(if you want) an orange digi frag for the blue!

Sometimes when all drops to 5, the setosa loses some of it's vibrance, but it has never browned or even threatened to STN. You take good care of your levels, unlike me. :-) LOVE that piece. Fast grower too.

So they said the pedestal was fine. Something about forces distributed and what parts actually bear weight in an aquarium. Don't completely grasp the physics of it, but the guy I talked to didn't think it was an issue at all. My understanding is that the pedestal is correlation, not cause, especially if the stand is weak, bowed, or unlevel. Ya know? I asked if there was a way to know if the glass was stressed. I had seen a cool technique where a flexed CD showed stress fractures even when they weren't apparent to the naked eye. It doesn't really apply to glass, but it *might* be possible to look down through the slim edge when a flashlight/penlight illuminates that column area to see stress lines. Huge emphasis on 'might'.

Good luck at your lfs sale- ya we could make a frag trade some time- just need to let him go a little longer- but I do really like the Orange- almost picked one up but they grow so quickly I've stayed away for a bit! Kissyface messes around with the clown eh- funny - mine is starting to venture over by them - it's been great cause my clowns were boring and barely moved from their side of the tank- I swear they could live in a bowl . Now they venture out to see where the Blenny is. Gonna go ck out your threads!

Hey how's that stand holding up?

I was thinking of getting the same stand for my nuvo but was unsure.

Did you add any supports/modifications to it?

Mines an older IKEA stand that is much stronger- the newer ones that look like mine have thinner wood so they can't support as much- are you looking to put a Nuvo 16 or smaller- I won't put a 16 on the new stand

Ironically enough, I'm afraid of this too - my current MP10 has been relegated to being a clean-up device. I only turn it on after feedings to kick up uneaten food and during my WC's to help with detritus. Other than that, it just stays off - expensive paperweight.

Mines an older IKEA stand that is much stronger- the newer ones that look like mine have thinner wood so they can't support as much- are you looking to put a Nuvo 16 or smaller- I won't put a 16 on the new stand

I have mine a newer Kallax stand (replaced the older, stronger Expedit). Look on craigslist for used Expedits.

So far no issues with bowing on mine... Time will tell. I am purchasing a new stand and an IM Fusion 20 to replace my Nuvo come December, since the 20 will be supporting more weight...

Ironically enough, I'm afraid of this too - my current MP10 has been relegated to being a clean-up device. I only turn it on after feedings to kick up uneaten food and during my WC's to help with detritus. Other than that, it just stays off - expensive paperweight.

I have mine a newer Kallax stand (replaced the older, stronger Expedit). Look on craigslist for used Expedits.

So far no issues with bowing on mine... Time will tell. I am purchasing a new stand and an IM Fusion 20 to replace my Nuvo come December, since the 20 will be supporting more weight...

So are you shutting the Nuvo 16 down completely? I've thought about that but if I do I would probably just go to a major upgrade- maybe a 60 or 80 cube and I am not ready for that quite yet

So are you shutting the Nuvo 16 down completely? I've thought about that but if I do I would probably just go to a major upgrade- maybe a 60 or 80 cube and I am not ready for that quite yet

I think I'll keep it around as a QT tank? I haven't really thought about what to do with the Nuvo, but there'll be a short period where the Nuvo and the Fusion will run simultaneously as I let the Fusion run through it's cycle. The decision is really only out of fear of a cracked tank, especially since I picked my 16 up used off craigslist and I have no clue as to how long it's been running or what generation it is. The Nuvo 16 I have also went through a cross country move with it's former owner as well...

A bigger tank would definitely be nice, but as I'm still renting, I'll hold off on any larger tanks, or any sumped builds until then.. I would love to start a shallow set up - but that's much later down the line. But looking at your progress, I'd say you're more than ready for a larger system - you're running out of room to put pretty things.

I think I'll keep it around as a QT tank? I haven't really thought about what to do with the Nuvo, but there'll be a short period where the Nuvo and the Fusion will run simultaneously as I let the Fusion run through it's cycle. The decision is really only out of fear of a cracked tank, especially since I picked my 16 up used off craigslist and I have no clue as to how long it's been running or what generation it is. The Nuvo 16 I have also went through a cross country move with it's former owner as well...

A bigger tank would definitely be nice, but as I'm still renting, I'll hold off on any larger tanks, or any sumped builds until then.. I would love to start a shallow set up - but that's much later down the line. But looking at your progress, I'd say you're more than ready for a larger system - you're running out of room to put pretty things.

I hear ya! Been a tap dance lately having to move corals around almost weekly. I've looked at the fusion 20's- beautiful tank for sure?

But not really much of an upgrade.... You'd be in the same spot you are now within a month lol

Ya I hear ya- I am looking at a 66 or 80gal. Cube...........but not ready yet- still enjoying the ease of a Nano?

Archived