SaltCritters.com

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

80! :) Its not that bad, really. My 14 was more temperamental then my 180 lol

?ya I really like the SCAquariums- the 24" height is the only issue- with the 80gal. the 66 is only 20" but it's nice to have that depth- still going through it all in my mind. SC makes nice sumps and PSkimmers too but I'll probably make my own sump- I want a large one- probably convert a 50 gal. That is 36" long. I want to easily remove 20-30 gal. Of water when I do a W/C. Probably go with a LED/ T5 combo to light it. Their tanks are only 32"wide so that is a little easier.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few shots of my corals in the back of the tank- tough to get good shots from their placement.

Ponape Birdsnest - wasn't a huge fan of this coral but as it has grown it looks much better to me. It is in a bit of a losing battle with my porcillpora- hopefully it will focus its growth in another direction

imagejpg22_zps5ac85626.jpg

Stylophora - nice green tips- also in the back and hard to get full pictures of- my Ponape won the battle with this guy- funny who wins!

imagejpg21_zps48a71b6b.jpg

Some micro life forms

Mini star arm searching around

imagejpg29_zps2974afba.jpg

These little guys are starting to pop up and do well- not Aiptasia so I think their "ok" - very pretty green color under the blues lights- barely recognizable under normal lighting

imagejpg30_zps64815159.jpg

A type of sponge and tube worm- both popping up around the tank also

imagejpg33_zps7120a635.jpg

Another Ball anenome type- just like that "mystery coral " in the front

imagejpg15_zps67229b6f.jpg

ya I really like the SCAquariums- the 24" height is the only issue- with the 80gal. the 66 is only 20" but it's nice to have that depth- still going through it all in my mind. SC makes nice sumps and PSkimmers too but I'll probably make my own sump- I want a large one- probably convert a 50 gal. That is 36" long. I want to easily remove 20-30 gal. Of water when I do a W/C. Probably go with a LED/ T5 combo to light it. Their tanks are only 32"wide so that is a little easier.

I've heard their tanks are really nice, I've also heard their skimmers are great..... I completely disagree on the skimmers tho, the one I had was complete garbage. Build quality was cheap (kinda expected) and its grossly overrated. I had the 302, rated for 180g but it couldn't hold its own on my 40g. I'd definitely look into a different skimmer.

I've heard their tanks are really nice, I've also heard their skimmers are great..... I completely disagree on the skimmers tho, the one I had was complete garbage. Build quality was cheap (kinda expected) and its grossly overrated. I had the 302, rated for 180g but it couldn't hold its own on my 40g. I'd definitely look into a different skimmer.

Good to know- ya I'll want a real beast- any suggestions for a 80gal. Skimmer

NorthGaHillbilly

Little green feather duster lookin guys are hydroids, some species are less invase than others, but b I've spent hours and hours Killin em off. The colorful ones are usually less of a problem tho so you aught to be alright

Little green feather duster lookin guys are hydroids, some species are less invase than others, but b I've spent hours and hours Killin em off. The colorful ones are usually less of a problem tho so you aught to be alright

Good to know always hopeful that these new creatures that pop up are a good thing...........never had a SPS just start growing out of my rock after months and months though. I'll keep an eye on them- I have a few small batches- what did you do to get rid of them?

NorthGaHillbilly

Good to know always hopeful that these new creatures that pop up are a good thing...........never had a SPS just start growing out of my rock after months and months though. I'll keep an eye on them- I have a few small batches- what did you do to get rid of them?

I had a huge infestation, but I got it under control by pulling the rock and using liquid superglue, not gel, so that it ran into their tunes and was less visible than gel. I tried burning, Kalk and fw, the superglue worked the best. My sexy shrimp are eating them now... winning

ya I really like the SCAquariums- the 24" height is the only issue- with the 80gal. the 66 is only 20" but it's nice to have that depth- still going through it all in my mind. SC makes nice sumps and PSkimmers too but I'll probably make my own sump- I want a large one- probably convert a 50 gal. That is 36" long. I want to easily remove 20-30 gal. Of water when I do a W/C. Probably go with a LED/ T5 combo to light it. Their tanks are only 32"wide so that is a little easier.

Any specific plans for stocking? Are you going to do a refugium?

Any specific plans for stocking? Are you going to do a refugium?

Probably completely SPS- I can't get enough- transition into more difficult Acros - I don't feel my lighting is strong enough now to support the harder type. I am considering going BB and probably no refugium- in fact - super clean sump. But it could all change ? I'll probably definitely go with a LED / T5 combo lighting system- get the both of best worlds. Still would like to get this tank past the yr. old point and then some? coming up on 8months

Take this one to a year so we can all vote it TOTM B)

Thanks man- appreciate it- I gotta start talking to you more about going BB- I love the way they look but can't quite commit............yet?

NorthGaHillbilly

Thanks man- appreciate it- I gotta start talking to you more about going BB- I love the way they look but can't quite commit............yet?

a lot of people can't get over seeing some gunk on the bottom, but It makes me feel better to see it... then siphon it out. Expecially in SPS tanks, the possibilities for flow are limitless.

a lot of people can't get over seeing some gunk on the bottom, but It makes me feel better to see it... then siphon it out. Expecially in SPS tanks, the possibilities for flow are limitless.

How often would you say you normal siphon on your tanks- can you just place heavy flow toward the bottom to keep it suspended?

NorthGaHillbilly

How often would you say you normal siphon on your tanks- can you just place heavy flow toward the bottom to keep it suspended?

I blow off the bottom every day and get it suspended so the skimmer/ mechanical can take it out. But I can't blast the bottom constantly due to all my big LPS, but in a SPS tank flow is more open, so you'd be in great shape, with a good enough skimmer it should be able to take it all up, that and socks if you run em.

I blow off the bottom every day and get it suspended so the skimmer/ mechanical can take it out. But I can't blast the bottom constantly due to all my big LPS, but in a SPS tank flow is more open, so you'd be in great shape, with a good enough skimmer it should be able to take it all up, that and socks if you run em.

Got it- thx- I'll be hitting you up more for your opinion when that day comes for sure?

NorthGaHillbilly

Got it- thx- I'll be hitting you up more for your opinion when that day comes for sure?

I'm far from an authority, but I'll share anything I've learned.

Any cliff notes on how you've managed such stellar sps growth?

I'm far from an authority, but I'll share anything I've learned.

Any cliff notes on how you've managed such stellar sps growth?

A ridiculous amount of attention - my wife would say?. I think things have gone well because of a few things- heavy maintenance for sure keeping parameters stable and getting really good livestock and I think using the same water and salt that most of my frags have grown up in from my lfs- although he tries to take no credit. I feed heavily- nightly as whites whine down and go out a combination of Phyto feast, roti feast, oyster feast and reef chili- plus a little mysis and reef cruisine for the fish. Fish also get flake during the day- gotta keep them on that for vacation days and the auto feeder?

My damaged Pocillopora ( from a Mille falling into it) has pretty much filled back it ?

imagejpg7_zps078178ae.jpg

Bubble gum - this has some great color when looking from the top- starting to encrust and grow

imagejpg12_zpsdd6109ab.jpg

Good to know- ya I'll want a real beast- any suggestions for a 80gal. Skimmer

Bubble Magus curve 7 is likely what I would run. The one I usually suggest is becoming very hard to find anymore... I hear alot of good things about the reef octopus skimmers, I've seen the super reef octo line in use and they are nice and do a pretty decent job, I would look for something rated around 150-250g for an 80g sps dominate tank that gets fed, and lean towards that higher side ;)

I hate socks, never been a fan.... detritus traps or constant cleaning. I'm not big on either lol I prefer a small pump in the sump to help keep things suspended and quick turkey bastering during water changes in sump (w/ return pump off) as well to kick up anything missed ;)

That's interesting that the Milli beats the Poci. So far my Poci has killed anything it touched and I was getting concerned, since it is reproducing all over the tank, but if it can't beat acros I'm fine with it. :)

Everything is looking fantastic, really fantastic. You've obviously got the stability down.

That's interesting that the Milli beats the Poci. So far my Poci has killed anything it touched and I was getting concerned, since it is reproducing all over the tank, but if it can't beat acros I'm fine with it. :)

Everything is looking fantastic, really fantastic. You've obviously got the stability down.

Millepora isn't your average acro. Each type and really each individual acro sp. are different, but I certainly wouldn't trust pocci around a smooth skin or anything valuable. I'm surprised the mille beat up on the pocci tho still, despite mille packing a decent punch for an acropora sp.

That's interesting that the Milli beats the Poci. So far my Poci has killed anything it touched and I was getting concerned, since it is reproducing all over the tank, but if it can't beat acros I'm fine with it. :) Everything is looking fantastic, really fantastic. You've obviously got the stability down.

Thanks! Ya my Mille's have won every battle they've had- vs Caps and Poci. My green poci burned my Ponape Birdsnest though. My purple cap fell off a rock and burned my green Birdsnest - It becoming a chess match weekly- slight moves. I think I got everyone in a good place now at least for a few weeks.

Millepora isn't your average acro. Each type and really each individual acro sp. are different, but I certainly wouldn't trust pocci around a smooth skin or anything valuable. I'm surprised the mille beat up on the pocci tho still, despite mille packing a decent punch for an acropora sp.

Ya my one Mille is an animal- growing toward the glass now - might have to place a magnet infront of it to get it to start growing up and away from the glass. Shading is becoming a bit of an issue- my green cap browned out a little on its purple ridge where the

Mille was growing over it-so I rearranged- it's a dance - but a fun one! ?

Probably completely SPS- I can't get enough- transition into more difficult Acros - I don't feel my lighting is strong enough now to support the harder type. I am considering going BB and probably no refugium- in fact - super clean sump. But it could all change I'll probably definitely go with a LED / T5 combo lighting system- get the both of best worlds. Still would like to get this tank past the yr. old point and then some coming up on 8months

Sweet, I can't wait. But I will. This tank is going to make TOTM and then you're going to need to upgrade because of growth.

Archived