Top Shelf Aquatics

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

That does look pretty nice!

Hate to see when businesses (or other places) put up tanks and don't maintain them!

Ya- I was shocked when I saw it- having the overflow in the middle is really cool.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was traveling for work Tuesday and Wednesday- what a nice surprise in the Dallas/ Ft.Worth airport- terminal E they had a really nice 100-150 gallon reef with a central overflow. They had some nice size tangs and with the central overflow gave them plenty of room to swim in circles. The corals also look to be well taken care of- it was great cause I ended up getting to the airport about 2hrs. early. Here's some pics

imagejpg1_zpsfdaf3ee3.jpg

imagejpg3_zps8ab5dac3.jpg

imagejpg2_zps31cdb342.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsd835cbbf.jpg

That is beautiful. I'd guess probably a 150 or 240.... 3x3x2 or 4x4x2. Super sweet either way and your right the center overflow is awesome for the fish to cruise around..... and an impressive 360 view for those passing by!

That is beautiful. I'd guess probably a 150 or 240.... 3x3x2 or 4x4x2. Super sweet either way and your right the center overflow is awesome for the fish to cruise around..... and an impressive 360 view for those passing by!

Ya your right I think it must if been a 240 gallon- 4x4x2- here's a shot with people standing next to it so you can tell the dimension better. It might even be taller than 24" maybe 27" so it could be a 270 gal.

imagejpg1_zpsd2005cbd.jpg

imagejpg2_zpse7cd8703.jpg

Ya your right I think it must if been a 240 gallon- 4x4x2- here's a shot with people standing next to it so you can tell the dimension better. It might even be taller than 24" maybe 27" so it could be a 270 gal.

imagejpg1_zpsd2005cbd.jpg

imagejpg2_zpse7cd8703.jpg

Just missed each other - Left Dallas a couple of days ago!

Dang, it's been a while since I flew through DFW but I'd be willing to connect there for a couple hours just to see that tank. Thanks for posting!

Dang, it's been a while since I flew through DFW but I'd be willing to connect there for a couple hours just to see that tank. Thanks for posting!

+1, I might be heading that way not all to far in the future so will definitely have to make sure I have enough time to check terminal E out!! I wonder if there are any more tanks as well...

+1, I might be heading that way not all to far in the future so will definitely have to make sure I have enough time to check terminal E out!! I wonder if there are any more tanks as well...

I've been in one other terminal the Southwest one and didn't see anything but that's a good question- I sent than an email saying great job on the tank- maybe they'll answer and mention other tanks. I wish I had a place for a walk around tank like that- really cool way to stack the rock and get light to the corals and the fish can cruise

I've been in one other terminal the Southwest one and didn't see anything but that's a good question- I sent than an email saying great job on the tank- maybe they'll answer and mention other tanks.

That'd be cool if they respond and maybe even give some more info on that tank itself as well.... like actual dimensions lol

I wish I had a place for a walk around tank like that- really cool way to stack the rock and get light to the corals and the fish can cruise

I reallllly wanted to do a 6-8' room divider or peninsula but didn't really have the room :( After carrying in the one I got tho with just my dad I am kinda glad I didn't go any bigger tho lol

I started with 9 hermits I have 7 left- this is the only one that has transferred to a new shell- really large one but he gets around just fine.

Enjoying a walk over the Birdsnest

imagejpg2_zps9c031a4f.jpg

Brittle star making a home under my Idaho grape

imagejpg3_zpse68ffe17.jpg

Another shot of the spindly legs of the Birdsnest - at least it has two holding itself up- still not much support

imagejpg2_zpse6e32b0f.jpg

Brittle stars are cute!! I've got about 5 and its fun to try and find their little legs sticking out of the rocks!

Ya- it's always nice to see them that rare occasion out cruising around!

Bubble magus doser is up and running. Only dosing 6 times through out the day right now- gotta watch and see how the numbers fall. Pretty nice feeling already to have that automated?

Polarcollision

Congrats on setting up the doser! You're going to love having more headspace and less stress. The teal birdsnest is looking great - love the growth pattern you're getting on it. I sold my big teal bird this week (replaced it with baby colony from the mother) and can't believe how much less alk the tank is using up.

I'm jealous! How's it working so far?

Fantastic ! I can't believe how liberating it is- no more wake up dose/ get ready for bed dose- and my Alk. Has been level at 8 whenever I test?. I feel a little guilty not spending as much time on the tank?. I highly recommend one! I am traveling this week in San Jose and my wife doesn't have to dose- game changer for sure!

Congrats on setting up the doser! You're going to love having more headspace and less stress. The teal birdsnest is looking great - love the growth pattern you're getting on it. I sold my big teal bird this week (replaced it with baby colony from the mother) and can't believe how much less alk the tank is using up.

Thanks- yes the doser is awesome- nice to feel a little more in control. Ya the teal bird is a growing machine- starting to send off shoots in all directions ?. That's a tough call selling your piece but at least keeping part makes it all better- I thought about doing that - Its about the size of a softball now- I have a few frags of it that are taking off too on the other side so losing the mother colony might not be so bad. I want to fill this tank up a little more though- keep things growing. I did purchase some iodine supplement put haven't found a test kit so I haven't added any yet. Should be able to go to some different lfs and find a decent test kit- which brand do you use for iodine?

Ya- it's always nice to see them that rare occasion out cruising around!

I have several in my Nuvo 8, Never saw more than just legs until 2 weeks ago when one of them decided it wanted to move into the overflow. I hope that fishing it out of there doesn't become a weekly thing..

I'm going to have to find that tank at DFW - I'm there almost every week, but in different terminals. It's worth a trip over I'm sure.. Remember which gate it's near?

I have several in my Nuvo 8, Never saw more than just legs until 2 weeks ago when one of them decided it wanted to move into the overflow. I hope that fishing it out of there doesn't become a weekly thing..

I'm going to have to find that tank at DFW - I'm there almost every week, but in different terminals. It's worth a trip over I'm sure.. Remember which gate it's near?

Thanks for stopping by - I am thinking around gate 20- ish- it's right down from the tgi Fridays restaurant - ya it's a nicely maintained tank. Not a ton of corals but they are all healthy and it's nice to watch the large tangs cruise

Archived